“Despite that our government is run by bickering children, this tour saved our Chincoteague trip!”

Saltwater Pony Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Search the beautiful back bay areas of Chincoteague and Assateague Islands with Captain Henry, aboard his stable flat bottom boat. We search for osprey, eagles, dolphins and the famous Chincoteague Ponies. Come join us and make a memory.
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My parents traveled to the Eastern Shore from Texas to see the beach, the SEA and we stayed in Chincoteague so we could be literally a 5 minute drive to the National Wildlife Refuge. So, much to my chagrin, we awoke on Tuesday, October 1 to realize that the US government had decided to SHUT DOWN THE OCEAN. Yes, our access for a full 24 miles of coastline was blocked because of the gov't shutdown. HOWEVER, the day was saved by Henry and his amazing tour! Henry took us on his boat all around the island of Chincoteague and delivered on every single promise. We saw dolphins, lots of dolphins and he was even able to get us up close, very close to several of the beautiful painted Chincoteague ponies. (One foal felt so comfortable with us, that she took a nap while her mother grazed near us. It was one of the moments that you think: "This is such a beautiful moment!!" And it was...) His flat bottomed boat is perfect for anyone who thinks they can't be out on a boat, because even in the waves, this boat was sturdy and would not cause motion sickness.

I would absolutely recommend this tour to everyone, whether the ocean is shut down by our ridiculous numbskull (and I'm including all parties, here) politicians or not. Henry is knowledgeable about the best places around the island for viewing natural sites, birds, ponies, dolphins and I bet he could even find that elusive Chinco unicorn (I'll keep visiting until I see this thing....)

Bonus points because Henry is also an incredibly nice person and answered questions that I'm sure he's heard 1,000 times. Gracious, prompt and confident--exactly what you need and want in a person steering a boat. We had an incredible, unforgettable experience.

Thanks for letting me rant in this review! Please don't hold any of my negative views of my gov't sway you from taking this incredible boat ride. Call Henry and schedule your ride. I agree with the other reviewers who said he treated us like family visiting him on his boat. Do it!

Hyattsville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks for the ride!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I called Captain Henry on a day he didn't plan on going out on a tour. He said he'd call me back and he did. There was a couple that was also requesting a tour so it was just three of us and Pepper. Pepper's a great dog and Henry's a great guide. He did know where the dolphins were and I got great videos. He also got us as close as he could to the grazing ponies and the lighthouse since it was shutdown. It was freezing on the water last week and I forgot my jacket in the car. Captain Henry loaned me his excellently insulated jacket-Tip well earned! Almost a two hour ride and it was awesome. He takes you all around the island and is very knowledgeable about Chincoteague. I recommend him highly and kudos to his firstmate Pepper!

1 Thank adriag2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Great time!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Captain Henry gave us very informative tour of Chincoteague. We saw lots of dolphins and horses and learned a lot of interesting facts about Chincoteague we didn't know. He went out of his way to make sure we had a good time and answered all our questions. He treated us like friends he had known for years instead of first time customers. We will definitely be making this a regular stop on our visits to Chincoteague. We highly recommend SaltWaterPonyTours and Captain Henry when you visit the island. Oh and Pepper the dog is awesome!! Jim and Larina Smith

Bridgeville, Delaware, United States
“Great cruise”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Captain Henry was very knowledgeable about Chincoteague Island history with very interesting discussions during a beautiful evening cruise. Highly recommend Saltwater Pony Cruise with Captain Henry. Susan and Toby Moore

Chincoteague Island, Virginia
“Amazing Tour”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Henry was our tour guide and we had a perfect day to go on the tour. He was very informative about the islands and also where to find dolphin and ponies. We had a wonderful boat ride and would recommend this tour to everyone who visits Chincoteague.

Lori P.