“Loved it”

Waterside Inn
nj
“Loved it”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The room was nice and the view was great. The service was awesome too.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Reston,VA
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I am so confused as to how this hotel has such positive reviews on this website. These reviews can lead another unsuspecting tourist like myself down the path of dirt/grime and discomfort! My boyfriend and I planned an end-of-summer mini-vacation to Chincoteauge and thought this would be a nice hotel for a romantic weekend, boy were we mistaken. As soon as I entered the room, I knew I was in for an interesting weekend. The room was horribly decorated, very outdated, and filthy. The couch was dirty and stained. The chair should have been in the dumpster, it was covered with mildew and dirt, and I wouldn't sit in it if you paid me. I could only imagine how dirty the comforters were, and could barely bring myself to sit on the bed fully clothed. I would not recommend walking around on the carpets without your shoes on, b/c God only knows the last time they were cleaned. The bathroom was horrendous as well. Outdated, rusting and dirty. The tub looked like it hadn't been cleaned for years, and there were holes in the walls where the shower head extended. Also, the bathroom had push-up panel ceilings, which seemed very strange to me. As some people mentioned, the complimentary breakfast is a nice idea, but the room that it takes place in is about the size of a large closet. There is room for maybe 3 small families, and everyone else would have to take their food to go. It's a sad attempt at a continental breakfast. This hotel was so bad, that we cut out trip short as I could not stomach a second night in this hotel. I barely slept wondering what could be crawling on my blankets or on the floors. Luckily for us, we did not end up being charged for the second night, but were still charged full price for the first night. Due to the rental office closing early, once you're checked in and it's past a certain hour, there's really nothing you can do but hang in there till the morning. Long story short - stay somewhere else - anywhere else!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RESTONTRAVELGAL
WIChincoteague, Owner at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
I am sorry that these guests were dissatisfied with their stay, but I do question why it is posted 2 years after the fact. It is easier to resolve issues as they arise. Renovations are an ongoing process and we always try to stay ahead of the curve. The majority of our reviews indicate that our customers appreciate our customer service and our facility and return year after year. Chincoteague Island is a very special place and we want all of our guests to have a good experience.

Donna Mason
Owner/Operator
Virginia Beach
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We loved Waterside Inn... It is family owned but shows pride of ownership. It is not brand new but you can see that alot of effort has gone into making it clean, comfortable and in good repair. The continental breakfast with fresh waffles was excellent. The staff could not have been friendlier. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
SALISBURY
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Go to Village inn for dinner awesome food Bills stood us up on our reservations but we had a great meal anyway thanks!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
columbus, ohio
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Waterside Inn is a great place to stay and the staff are wonderful. They treated us so well, and made our trip that much better. We have been coming to Chincoteague Island for the last 3 years and have stayed here every time. It couldn't be any better!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
WIChincoteague, owner at Waterside Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we got to be included in your special day. We truely enjoyed having you and look forward to seeing you very soon!

Donna Mason
Qwner/Operator
Annandale, Va
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We stayed just one night but we found out all we needed to know. From some of the other reviews, we were a little bit worried. We should not have been. It was the off season so they were less than full (like almost empty!!). When I walked in and told them, "I have a reservation" they knew who I was, called me by name and treated me like a king. I had mentioned when we made the reservation that one of our party was 86. We DID NOT ask for a handicapped room but they put us in a room right by the entrance from the parking lot. Less than 10 feet from car to room. (PRICELESS for a proud man who does not always admit he needs a short walk.) As well as the coffee which is usual in the room they had tea and cocoa mix.

One thing which stands out was that the lady at the desk apologized several times for the lack of sunset. (It was rainy and foggy.) Obviously, they had no control over the weather but they knew we might be sad, they CARED!!!

We will definitely be returning during a more "normal" time of year. This hotel is within walking distance of where the Fire Department has their carnival (and where the ponies are auctioned).

We look forward to returning. I have stayed at a lot of "beach" resorts. This was one of the best. The fact that it is family owned and operated makes all the difference. Others can have their chain hotels (the same no matter where they are) but we will take the Waterside.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank VirginiaChip
LittleRock
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Stayed with a group for 3 nights. The rooms smelled, some worse than others. Views are limited to a few rooms on the upper levels and toward the waterfront. One guy said the blanket on his bed had to be 40 yrs old. Floors and ceilings creak - very loudly! Seems like the people above me walked around all night - causing my ceiling to creak. Without ear plugs I couldn't have slept at all. They collect the money up front so if your travel plans change there is no refund. TV's are old analog sets with marginal pictures. Internet is wireless and my VPN connection to my office kept timing out because the bandwidth was so low.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business