“Our Special Place”
Review of Waterside Inn

Waterside Inn
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I continue to visit The Waterside at least twice a year. As usual, on our recent trip, we had a great room on the third floor . The desk staff was helpful with our questions and we accidently picked the weekend of the all you can eat Seafood Festival. It was held at a local campground. You could drive to it or take a shuttle. We shuttled. Great fun!!!
This motel has a "Death By Chocolate" weekend that we have planned for another trip.
We have never had a problem at this motel that was not addressed promptly. On this trip, we had no problems...just fun.

Chincoteague is a great family place to visit. Waterside Inn is our special place to stay.

Room Tip: There are three levels to this motel. The first floor is less expensive, the third, the most. I thin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2011

I visit Chincoteague once each year and always stay at the Waterside Inn. This family owned and operated hotel offers a friendly atmosphere and clean, comfortable rooms which includes breakfast at a reasonable rate. The owner and staff could not be more helpful and personable and it is a pleasure to see them year after year. The inn is just a short walk from restaurants and shopping but be sure to head back before sunset to catch the beautiful views. The Waterside is not a four-star hotel but I find it to be just as charming as the town in which it is located.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the view. If you have an issue though, they could care less. After several consecutive years staying at Waterside, due to location more than value, we had to cancel our trip at the last minute this year due to unemployment and lack of funds. I called to arrange to pay the bill (for the room we didn't use) the following week on my pay day, but the lady at the front desk kept demanding I give her another credit card number now. She couldn't understand that I literally didn't have the funds in the bank account to pay her that day, and kept arguing with me about it. I explained our recent hardship situation, and that I was trying to do the right thing by calling to let them know we wouldn't be coming, and that I would pay the charges the following week - but she was unsympathetic, scolded me for making a reservation too far in advance, and kept asking for payment now. I have never been treated so badly in all my life. I will never stay at the Waterside again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank An0nym0usTraveler123
WIChincoteague, Front Office Manager at Waterside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2011

The customer had one year to cancel this reservation. We are not unsympathetic to any situation, however being verbally abusive and rude while trying to get your point across is unacceptable. This person definitely has experience working the system.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

stayed 3 nights in a very clean and friendly hotel nice rooms with a good view, great breakfast ,unless u fishing or on the beach not a grat deal to do locally 3 nights for us was about right and be aware of the mozzies they had a great lunch on us

Room Tip: 3rd floor near the dock for best views
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My wife and I and our two children stayed at the Waterside Inn last night and I'm puzzled by all of the glowing 5 star reviews. Either these people are related to the owners or perhaps they normally frequent 1 star establishments?

First, and most important- the beds. They are very old and uncomfortable. I woke up with a serious pain in my lower back, so I pulled off the sheets to see what brand of mattress it was- and wasn't surprised to see that it was an off-brand- King Coil. These mattresses cost about $200 a pop- and were purchased, I would guess, in about 1985. The pillows are lumpy, $7 affairs that are as cheap as they come. The bed and the pillows are two things that good hotels and motels shouldn't skimp on. One poster on this site remarked on how comfy the beds were. What does this person sleep on at home? A bed of nails?

The décor in our 2nd floor room was vintage 1979 and the thick, shaggy carpet smelled like a mixture of mildew and air freshener. Our laptops and I touch couldn’t detect any wifi signal in the room. Every time the people staying in the room above us took a step, turned on the water or flushed their toilet, we could hear it. To top it all off, we were assessed a petty $7 fee for using one of their circa 1965 crib’s- which we had to set up ourselves.

Another reviewer here used the word “sumptuous” to describe the free breakfast. Stale donuts, stale, white wonder bread some greasy sausage patties and pre-made waffles with generic syrup is what was on offer. I really sorry for anyone who considers that a “sumptuous” breakfast. Needless to say, we won’t be coming back to this hotel and will take T.A. reviews with a huge grain of salt moving forward. Also, if you’re coming to town to see the ponies- better bring some binoculars- we didn’t get within a ¼ mile of them.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank travelguy1972Chicago
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Had a great time with everyone at the hotel. This was our second year. And will be back next year. I love Chincoteaque, the owner does alot for the island. Hope it stays the same for many years. Thanks for a good time. We had the best time crapping off you dock, and view are great. It was a hard time to leave, but we will be back.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in this hotel, but the 2nd and 3rd floor are the better ones
2  Thank June S
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We recently stayed at the Waterside and were quite pleased with the spacious room, and absolutely amazing views from our 3rd floor room. A sumptuous filling breakfast was served which we chose to eat on our large balcony because the view was spectacular, even tho our room was the closest to the road. It was hard to leave the pool bc it sits right on the water with such relaxing incredible views. Both nites we ended our eve in the can't miss hot tub in the 2nd floor atrium. The rooms were sound proof and we could't hear the neighbors. altho we would have preferred a less hard bed but that is our personal preference. Staff was terrific and available to share recommendations of local restaurants and attractions. We also learned after checking out other places that the price was quite reasonable for the views and amenities. We walked to town which was about 8 block but good walk. Recommend to others and would stay again if we return to the island.

Room Tip: chincoteague has mosquito issue so take bug spray. you WILL need it.