“Mother/Daughter Summer Vacation Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1848 Island Manor House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
1848 Island Manor House
St. Paul, , Minnesota, USA
“Mother/Daughter Summer Vacation Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

My tween daughter and I had the most wonderful weekend at the Island Manor on Chicoteague Island in VA. The service was excellent, the facilities superb, and food was wonderful!

Before coming, I discussed my interests with the Innkeeper (Karen Pettigrew) for my daughter and I. Her suggestions for restaurants, site seeing (beaches, creameries, etc.) and boat tours were just perfect!

The home and rooms were lovely and the Inn Keeper (Karen) was most gracious and helpful prior to and during our stay. Our room (Juliette) was neat, spacious, quaint and very comfortable. We had a private bathroom outside of the room which felt very much like being at home. Robes were also provided along with bottled water.

The breakfast was wonderful and very satisfying consisting of several dishes. They were also able to accommodate my food allergies (cheese and cream). During the day/evening there ample tasty snacks and drinks provided along with refrigerator space for our leftover meals from dining out.

The inn is just big enough in terms of bedrooms, sitting rooms and game areas. My daughter challenged me to a game of chess (and won). The diversity of guests for that weekend was also nice ranging from a medium group of ladies to several couples ranging in age. There is also a lovely outdoor patio with the most elegant flowers, seating facilities and outdoor murals on the wall. Parking is plentiful. Finally, beach outings were especially nice because they provide umbrellas, chairs, and towels if needed.

It was a great experience and well worth revisiting. There many other things we wanted to do but just ran out of time. Now, my daughter wants this to be an annual getaway and I would have to agree!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Karen took great care of us during my wife's 30th birthday weekend. I would highly recommend spending some time at this most comfortable and welcoming B&B. The beds were great, the breakfasts were incredible, and the Inn was well-stocked in all regards.

The Island Manor House is in the middle of the "shopping district" of Chincoteague Island, but is across the Island from the popular beach area, so heading to the beach will require a short drive. A few hotels get you closer to the beach, but I bet they aren't as pleasant a place to lay your head.

We plan on going back to the Island Manor House closer to Christmas when the migratory waterfowl arrive at the Refuge.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

We recently stayed at the Island Manor House and it was our first time staying in a bed and breakfast. They did not dissapoint. We loved everything from the yummy breakfasts (blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup were the best!) to the bikes across the street at Miss Molly's Inn to the beach towels and picnic lunches. Oh and the fresh baked cookies and brownies, lemonade and tea. Everyone from Karen to the housekeeper was so pleasant and helpful and delighted to have us stay. We truly felt welcome. And we definitely hope to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

My wife and I both work very hectics schedules, so when we get to go on vacation, we appreciate being able to finally "slow down". We got a kick out of what we quickly called "island time"... everything seemed to open at "ish o'clock" and close at "ish o'clock" depending on when the various businesses decided to do business that partcular day; a welcome change from our nomal pace(s).

My wife picked the Island Manor House for our stay based on recommendations from reviews such as this; the reviews don't even do justice. The room was extremely comfortable, and coupled with the previously mention atmospehere of the town... Chicoteague Island was the perfect get-away for us.

Karen (the inkeeper at Island Manor House) made the trip that much more special; she is one of the nicest and most accomdating people we have ever met. To even further the experience, we were treated to breakfast with the other guests of the inn every morning... I can say without a second thought, this was some of the best food we've ever had.

In addition, we had the oppotunity to see the wild ponies of Assateague Island (which my wife read about in the "Misty" book series from her childhood). Though elusive, these majestic creatures were absolutely gorgeous.

I think it is safe to say... WE WILL BE BACK!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2009

Couldn't have been better really. Wonderful hosts, unbelievable facilit-y-so beautiful, fabulous location, incredible food, fantastic private rooms... What more could you want? It was everything we dreamed of and more. Especially the house, it couldn't have been more quaint and charming and grand all at the same time. Karen and Mark are wonderful Innkeepers and it couldn't have been a more special place to stay. It made our trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

Our trip to Chincoteague was quite a surprise. I've been to B&Bs before, and definitely expect them to be quaint and comfortable, but Island Manor House definitely exceeded expectations. It's so NICE inside, I felt like we should have been paying more just to spend time in there. The owners, Karen and Mark, are very personable, recommending things to do, places to eat, etc. We had some pretty cold and rainy weather (we didn't expect much the last weekend in October), but had a great time overall. Gotta be one of the most relaxing weekends we've had in a while. So comforting - came in from the cold our second night and helped ourselves to a huge assortment of teas and coffee outside the kitchen. And the breakfasts are great - if you can finish them. First breakfast started with enough New Orleans-style beignets to feed a small family, followed with a fresh blueberry & raspberry-something, and then these cheese pastry things that were filled with what I think were hard-boiled eggs. Everything was great, and we didn't even need to eat lunch. Would definitely recommend to family and friends, and definitely plan on returning in the near future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

My first visit to Chincoteague Island will not be my last. The Island Manor House was beyond my expectations. It is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The rooms make you relax by their very design. The breakfasts served were wonderful. Mark is an excellent chef and Karen the most delightful hostess. The convenient location made this the perfect place to stay. Everything was done first class during our four night stay there. Mark and Karen were great to be around and very friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family