“charming inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Inn at Poplar Corner
England
“charming inn”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We enjoyed our overnight stay in this beautiful inn - lovelly location and a great breakfast. The room was one of the best I have stayed in - very comfortable and so many little touches that I can't list them including comfortable cushions - a window seat to relax on and read magazines. We used the bikes to cycle out to the nature reserve and once I got the hang of backpedalling to brake I had fun.Wish we could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Harrisburg
Reviewed October 29, 2009

My cousins and I spent 3 wonderful nights at this gorgeous B & B. I will stay here every time I vacation in Chincoteague Island. Linda, the host ,is gracious and very accommodating. Her breakfasts are absolutely delicious, honestly, the best I have ever had! The rooms are immaculate and breathtaking. There are bikes on the premise to use and we felt very comfortable while visiting. She recommended excellent restaurant for our evening meals and all of them for excellent. We drove to the beach and Wild Animal Refuge. We saw wild ponies, climbed the lighthouse, walked on the beach and down several paths. My cousins and I are planning to make this an annual event and we decided that we will only stay at the Inn at Poplar Corner. It truly was every thing I had hoped for and much more. It's a gem.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
va
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Our stay at the inn was extremely comfortable. Linda met us upon arrival and showed us to our rooms. There are just four bedrooms so there is never the feeling of being crowded, particularly as the rooms and bathrooms are large. We stayed in Baywatch. It was very well appointed, light and airy with a sitting area, spacious storage, and very comfortable bed. The bathroom has a large jacuzzi with shower. All is spotlessly clean

If needed, Linda is there to make suggestions and supply such things as bikes, binoculars etc. all in a lowkey, friendly manner.

The breakfasts are absolutely delicious and you wished for lunch and dinner. There are always home baked cookies and treats available with various drinks and water from the fridge and coffee, tea from the buffet which can be enjoyed on the wrap-around porch,

As with much of Chincoteague, the inn is minutes away from Assateague with its walks, ponies and beaches.

We like the relaxed, comfortable atmosphere the best and disliked nothing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2009

After spending a fun "girls weekend" at the Inn at Poplar Corner last summer, I decided to go back this year with my husband. I have stayed in the Lavender Room and the Main View Room, which features a private balcony. What a perfect place to relax after the beach/before dinner with a glass of wine or a little snack!

The Inn is a very short walk into downtown Chincoteague, which is just charming. The Inn provides guests with bicycles to use which are great for tooling around and working up an appetite. I am vegan and Linda graciously accomodated my dietary restrictions. All of the other guests were raving about the crab quiche that was served at breakfast.

I am looking forward to another trip to the Inn in the future. Thank you, Linda and Charity!

philadelphia, pa
Reviewed July 14, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderfully relaxing weekend at the Inn at Poplar Corner. Several friends have recommended the Inn, so we decided to try it for a long weekend. We enjoyed the Main View room where we used the private balconey to enjoy a glass of wine as we watched the sun set over the Chincoteague Channel. We were greeted by Charity in the afternoon who offered dinner recommendations and even to make reservations for us for that evening.....after enjoying some of the homemade cookies, we headed out to explore the cute town and to have dinner. For breakfast, Linda served a delicious crab quiche one morning and bananas foster french toast the next...the taste was excellent and the presentation very upscale.....many of the guests asked for her recipes. This was beyond a fantastic experience and we are sure to return soon! Thanks for everything Charity and Linda!

2 Thank heather223
Virginia
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Let me start by saying that we really enjoyed our stay at the Inn at Poplar Corner in June. The Inn is relatively new construction made to look like a historic Victorian, so it appears especially clean and well-kept. Two women, a mother-daughter team, usually run the Inn, but we visited a little early in the season, so the mother, Linda, was on her own. Linda was extremely friendly, and we enjoyed talking to her. Based on the overwhelmingly positive comments on this site, however, we were expecting, well...something more.

We paid a premium to stay in a room upstairs with a balcony. Unfortunately, the Inn sits directly across the street from a derelict, abandoned building and parking lot. Of course, they can't be blamed for the eyesore, but we felt cheated by the extra cost for a balcony we couldn't use. Otherwise, our room was large and nicely decorated. Word of warning, though, watch out for the window AC unit because it leaks badly. Water drips on the dresser, into the drawers, and down to the floor. Our wedding proof book is now water-stained.

Our bathroom was a huge, open space, with a large jacuzzi tub, but a tiny, cramped, plastic shower. The tub was nice, but we would have preferred a nice, hot shower after a day at the beach, especially considering all the sand, etc.

The room was spotless when we checked in, but Linda only did a cursory cleaning after our first night, so the bathroom was dirty the next day. We also had to ask for more soap and shampoo because the ones provided were tiny -- I've never seen such a small bar of soap. They do not have conditioner, so you might just consider packing your own stuff.

Breakfast the first morning was freshly baked bread (banana, if I remember correctly) followed by quiche (extremely bland and tasteless but edible). Unfortunately, the second morning, when we were the only guests, Linda served monkey bread (yummy) followed by french toast (also yummy), which was just card overload. We probably wouldn't have eaten any of the monkey bread if we had known the french toast was coming out next. Breakfast is also served at a set time at one large table. We really enjoyed talking to the other guests our first morning, but it was slightly annoying to rush downstairs at a scheduled time. The afternoon snacks were store-bought, packaged cookies, but hot water and tea bags were available all day. The kitchen is also available if you need glasses, including wine glasses, or utensils, etc., and the fridge is stocked with water bottles. You can also store stuff in the fridge, which is a very nice touch.

The Inn has a wonderful, wrap-around porch, which we used a lot because the weather was spotty during our stay. There is a comfy couch on the side facing the house next door (another inn) where you can watch the neighborhood ducks and cats while enjoying a cup of tea or glass of wine (bring from home bc the wine store is limited).

The Inn also has a large collection of bikes that Linda let us use even after we checked out. There is only one basket, though, so bring some sort of backpack if you plan on carrying stuff to the beach. The beach chairs are old and uncomfortable (those tiny, low things, that only sit upright), and the umbrella is mildewed, so, again, bring your own from home if you plan on using.

Having made so many negative comments, you might be surprised that we would consider returning to the Inn (staying in a different room) on our next visit to Chincoteague. Our biggest problem was the letdown we felt after reading such overwhelmingly positive comments on this site. I know people think they are doing the Inn a favor, but we weren't the only guests that weekend who arrived with unrealistic expectations and left slightly disappointed as a result. The Inn is very nice and Linda is lovely, but there is room for improvement. I hope this review will help some future guests avoid that letdown.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Traveling42
InnatPoplarCorner, Owner at Inn at Poplar Corner, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to provide us with feedback on your visit. It is through customer feedback that we are able to continuously improve our Inn.

The room you chose, Main View, is always our most frequenly booked room...Bill Goodwin (author of Frommer's VA) stayed in our Main View Room several months ago for 3 nights and called it "the best room in all of Chincoteague." He mentioned that he loved sitting on the balcony to watch the sunset and the people pass. We are pretty proud to of this glowing praise from a well known travel aficionado.

I am addressing your concerns in list form to alleviate the concerns of our future customer

We are sorry about the abandoned store across the street~though there is little we can do about it~our neighbor innkeeper is actually volunteering to paint the facade this week so that it will look better from our Inns. There is no one who love the former shopping center to be restored more than us!

In the 3 years that we have owned and operated the Inn, we have had not a complaint about the a/c "leaking"...I have personally cleaned the room several times since your review with the a/c operating on high and see no evidence of a leak or condensation. Perhaps your drinks dampered your wedding proof book (?) and if that happened, I am truly sorry. I know we certainly all treasure and safely guard our wedding pictures.

We did choose a standard fiberglass shower so that all of our bathrooms would have ample space for our oversized jacquzzi tubs. Many of our customers state that they chose our Inn because we offered the large jacquzzi tubs.

We offer two standard size travel bars of handmade organic soap to each room daily. Of course we are more than wiling to give our guests more should they desire it. Our shampoo and conditioner are a blend (conditioning shampoo) to minimize the plastic container waste in an effort to be as green as possible. We spent many hours researching and sampling different toiletry products in an effort to offer our customers a luxury product.

We do provide housekeeping service daily and hope our prospective customers will read our many other reviews from people extremely pleased with the cleanliness of our Inn.

Your comments regarding our breakfast and snacks surprised us the most. It sounds as if you were offered our house specialty, a crab quiche (we always also offer an alternative on days that we serve the crab quiche as we know some are allergic to or do not care for seafood). We are literally always complimented on our breakfasts and the quiche is a customer favorite. Even before we purchased the Inn at Poplar Corner, Linda won many awards for her creative talents in the kitchen. We never serve store bought cookies. We did a few times (and perhaps when you visited) offer some Girl Scout cookies that I purchased from my daughter to support her Brownie troop but they were always in addition to our home baked goodies. Many many customers have asked to purchase a recipe book from us should we ever print one.

As far as our beach equipment, as an added bonus to our many other amenities, we are pleased to offer beach chairs (which are standard beach chairs...I actually did not know luxury beach chairs existed until I read your review and learned that ours were cheap), beach cruiser bikes, beach coolers, beach towels and beach umbrellas (I do not see any sign of mold on our beach umbrellas). I have been using them almost daily to protect my four month old infant from the sun at the beach so I certainly would not have wanted to use a "moldy" one. I believe from your review that Linda was kind enough to offer her personal beach basket even after you checked out to allow you to carry your gear to the beach.

If you were not in agreement with our previous customers and our travel critics regarding the praises of our Main View Room, we certainly would have been happy to move you if you had let us know you were displeased with your room. Ultimately, our goal is to please you, our customer.

We are pretty proud of this glowing praise from a known travel aficionado.
For our future customers
Severn, md
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Had a wonderful time. Anyone who writes a bad review about this place should be ashamed of themselves! You could not have better inn keepers than Linda & Charity. The inn is well maintained and nicely landscaped. We stayed in the Main View room and were amused by people who stopped by admiring the landscape and the structure of the house. The small town feel is ideal for relaxing and unwinding. Will definitely stay here again.

P.S. -- You must definitely visit Bill's Restaurant and Mueller's Ice Cream shop on Main Street. Also directly across the street from the Inn is an ideal place to rent jet skis and parasail.

1 Thank Luv2cruz4evr