“nice place to stay, poor billing practices.”

Best Western Chincoteague Island
Reviewed September 14, 2013

For the most part, the stay was as lovely as I have come to expect from Best Western.
Maybe that is the problem with having a good reputation -- when you do a good job people accept it as normal instead of remarking on it as good.
The room looked clean and smelled clean. Front desk staff was friendly and enthusiastic and helpful. Housekeeping staff was gracious and did their job well.
I like the artwork in the rooms: well-done landscapes and other nature scenes of the mid-Atlantic shore, and each of the six rooms I saw had a different pair of paintings.
Compared to other Best Western hotels I have stayed at, they are stingy with their afternoon cookies. But then, other chains don't necessarily offer afternoon cookies at all.

The billing department has a couple really annoying policies.
(1) When I checked out, they did not ask "do you want to leave this on the card you started with?" They locked it in before I got to the desk to check out. I wanted to pay with a different card and the clerk told me it was quite impossible to change to a different card.
(2) When I checked in and signed the check-in documents with a statement of expected charges, the daily room rate was quoted as about one hundred forty-something dollars plus tax.
The amount billed was $170.99 plus tax.
I asked about the discrepancy, and was told that the $170.99 is the one-hundred-forty-something plus the tax that they told me about in the original estimate,
and the taxes listed on the final statement (state sales tax and occupancy tax) are two other taxes they did not bother to tell me about in the original estimate.
That feels like fraud.
And of course, settling up is my last experience of the hotel, so I remember it more than I remember the rest of the stay.

1  Thank TinLizzy5

Reviewed September 13, 2013

GOOD NEWS: Great location, wonderful staff, clean hotel, beautiful pool, good breakfast, wonderful spots to sit and enjoy life ! Bad News: Air/heat extremely noisy and prevents you from getting a good nights sleep, old building, wifi issues that cannot be resolved, new paint, carpets and fixtures should take place asap !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We have stayed at the Best Western in Chincoteague, Va. for 3-4 days after Labor Day every year for over a decade. Many of the same staff are there from year to year, which tells me that it is a good and stable place to work. Being a birder, the hotel could not be sited any better as it is only 1/4 mile from the refuge entrance. A great place to bike as well. The staff always greets you with a smile , and fresh baked cookies when you check in and are always willing to answer any questions you might have, or just engage in a friendly conversation about any topic at all. I like the fact that when asked "where are the best places to eat on the island", they give an honest opinion. Based on our pleasant and relaxing experiences over the years, we now have two other couples that join us every year. Rooms are neat and clean and the Hotel pool is also a nice plus. We will continue to stay there anytime we overnight in Chincoteague.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was the second time we have visited this hotel. Each time we have been delighted with the attentive, competent staff as well as the spotless, attractively decorated rooms and grounds. We loved our stay so much that we stayed an additional (unplanned) night. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Perfect location to Assateague. Hotel staff and rooms were fantastic. Would like to have seen more of a selection on the breakfast but overall it was near perfect. Rooms were clean and spacey. Pool was great. Landscaping was beautiful. Parking very convenient.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Right next to wildlife refuge. Very clean. Very good value. Completely nonsmokiing. I travel a lot and this is the cleanest hotel I have seen. Cleaner than a lot of the more expensive places I have stayed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Very smooth internet reservations, put in request for handicap and it was met above and beyond the call. Rooms clean and comfortable. I will return, have vacationed to the island many times but this motel really goes above the call of duty to make their Guest completely happy. My view from the room was excellent. The grounds were groomed lovely, the pool was clean and the setting was great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo