“Pleasant surprise”

Hampton Inn and Suites Chincoteague-Waterfront
New Jersey
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My wife and I made an overnight stop here with our infant son on our way to the Outer Banks. We weren't familiar with Chincoteague at all, and arrived in the middle of the night.

Staff was very friendly and happily accomodated our request for a room change (we had accidentally booked a smoking room). The room was a good size, clean, and comfortable.

The biggest surprise is when we woke up in the morning. As I said, we knew nothing about where we were staying. We were shocked when we opened the blinds to find that our room overlooked a beautiful waterway with schools of dolphins swimming by.

The breakfast was complimentary and better than expected for this type of hotel. Although not a full-service restaurant, there was a good selection of food - including fresh waffles. An attentive staff kept everything filled, fresh, and clean.

We were impressed enough with this happy accident to plan a vacation to the area next year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank crowe1130

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Cincoteague - Waterfront during September 2010. The hotel and its grounds were always very clean and all the employees were very nice and helpful.

Originally, we booked a room with a water "view" because a waterfront room was not available for our entire stay. Once we arrived, we realized the waterfront rooms had amazing views, and the rooms along the side of the hotel had a view of either (a) another hotel's wall, or (b) a very messy neighbor's yard. "Water view" is not true at all. The side rooms are also smoking rooms and you can tell as soon as you open the door. We talked with the front desk, and couldn't move the first night as the hotel was at capacity, but we were able to move to room 213 (Waterfront and smoke-free), and it was MUCH better. They really should not advertise the side rooms as having any view at all.

Other that, I really enjoyed my stay and would probably stay there again on a return trip.

2 Thank AbbieDabbyDu07
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Excellent customer service started with our reservations over the phone. They had to be changed and the courteous desk attendant did just that. The property is IMMACULATE, staff always working to keep it clean. Breakfast was typical Hampton Inn, decent. Super clean room with plenty of fluffy towels and the most comfortable bed. My only complaint, and I cant really complain because the front desk warned me, avoid the left side rooms. View was of a homeowners messy shed and boat slip area. The fabulous view from the breakfast area dock made up for it, the sunset was the most gorgeous Ive ever seen. The plentiful flock of ducks were also entertaining. Great trip

Lancaster PA
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I like Hampton Inns, and this, although a little pricey, may be the best of all. My mother and I got the "last" two rooms on a Friday note -- both were very spacious with a deck and nice views of the Chinoteague sound. Despite a full hotel, it was peaceful and quiet, with plenty of room for the standard Hampton breakfast fare. The exterior and public areas are very impressive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This was our first trip to Chincoteague and we stayed for 3 nights. All the great reviews encouraged our decision to stay here.

- Hotel was VERY CLEAN. The lobby and breakfast area were spotless. Bright, inviting, nicely decorated. Nothing like the usual hotels I've stayed at, which have drab, boring, run-of-the-mill decor.
- Check-in/Check-out was super fast. And, when you check in, you get a cookie! One for each person in your room. I thought that was a nice touch.
- Staff was superb. Even housekeeping had big smiles every morning and made us feel very welcome.
- Surrounding area is quite nice. We got a waterfront room because we were concerned about the views for side rooms. It was worth the extra cost (which, honestly, isn't a huge difference in price). Someone mentioned the loud ducks, but we actually enjoyed them. They were fun to watch from the balcony, but we NEVER heard them with the door closed. They took off for another area during the night. They seem to live at the pond behind the Comfort Inn, which is next door.
- Room was beautiful with great ammenities. The fridge was a nice touch and we enjoyed the 37" LCD TV. My mom (who I was traveling with) said it was the best hotel room she'd ever stayed in. The beds were comfy, but firm. I happen to like that though. The bathrooms were bright (a little TOO bright) and super clean. The room was quiet, we never heard outside noise (we were close to the back patio) or the other guests.
- Breakfast was GREAT. I was expecting a few selections of cereal, orange juice, and pancakes. Nope. You get scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, waffles, pastries, etc etc etc. It was lovely, and all very fresh. Even if you arrived at 9:45 there was still plenty to choose from. Eating on the back patio along the water was quite pleasant.

We plan on returning to Chincoteague again, and we will definitely stay at this hotel! Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank deco14
cortland manor
Reviewed September 17, 2010

just have to say, this Hampton inn should be the leader in howa Hotel should be run. clea clean clean, it was spotless, quiet, breakfasts were tasty, and fresh. Housekeepers were AWESOME!, (thanks Theresa!) They actually scrub, yes scrub down the pull up driveway twice a day! I could not believe my eyes, their maintinance man was no joke! I would not want to stay anywhere else.
Local restaurants were good, Bill's was really good, beware of seashell restaurant. POOR POOR service, forgetful waitress, slow lsow service. I should have walked out, but was chicken. oh well.

Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We would stay here again. We were only there for one night, but we were impressed with the staff and the facility. The desk clerk gave us names of places to eat and the sunset from the hotel deck was great. Our room was not full water front, but we still sat on the deck and watched the boats come into the dock. Next time I will book ahead and make sure I get a full view of the water and sun set!!! The breakfast was good and there was a good choice, so everyone should be able to find something to their liking. We did not have time to use the pool or anything else they had to offer. As I said, we will have to come back and smell the roses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!