“Refuge Inn has it all”

Refuge Inn
Connecticut
“Refuge Inn has it all”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Just back from a long weekend at Chincoteague Island and we would definitely go back! The Refuge Inn was very comfortable and about the closest lodgings to Assateague Island you can get on Chincoteague. A big plus are the beautiful and friendly ponies they have on the premises. This is very important if you have children, as the ponies on Assateague Island are wild and most of the viewing can be from a pretty far distance. So childrens' daydreams of petting and handling ponies just aren't going to happen (nor should they with the wild ponies) unless you stay at a location with ponies or visit the Chincoteague Pony Centre (also highly recommended during your visit). My daughter just couldn't get enough of the adorable foals! The rooms at the Refuge Inn were very comfortable with nice warm touches like crown molding in the rooms and wainscoting in the bathroom. They had a perfect pool (not too warm, not too cold..just right) that was well maintained and is housed in a greenhouse like setting. The pool hours were long, 8am to 10pm which ensured that despite having a long day out, we always got our pool time in. The Refuge Inn has a bike rental place right next door and we rented bikes for 4 hours to take in Assateague Island by bike. The bikes were well maintained and the rates reasonable ($3 per hour or $14 hours for the day). I highly recommend riding bikes on Assateague - it was really fun and there are little to no hills so even the little guys can pedal no problem. We liked the breakfast at the Refuge Inn and had scrambled eggs on two of the days we were there and a delicious french toast on another. There were great breads to chose from, several different cereals, yogurt and fresh fruit. I had not expected hot foods for breakfast since the Inn refers to its breakfast as continental and really enjoyed what was offered. The Inn has swings and bbqs with picnic tables as well as a neat observation deck that my daughter and I enjoyed exploring. We met many friendly guests throughout the Inn with most being "serial visitors" (some coming several times a year). When we go back to Chincoteague we will stay at the Refuge Inn again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelGal3612

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 11, 2010

All in all, a very pleasant experience. Staff were exceptionally service oriented and friendly, gift items in the breakfast area were high quality, rooms were clean and the grounds were extensive and truly felt like a refuge. The ponies were a highlight for us, since the weather was terrible and they turned out to be the only Chincoteague ponies we saw. We will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2010

The Refuge Inn was recommended by my Mother and Father In Law. My first impression upon arrival was positive. Front desk person was helpful and pleasant. The layout of the inn was nice. I liked that they have the stairways and vending machines in a closed off portion between sections. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The decor was a nice mix of newer pieces with older sidepieces. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious and the bath/shower was very nice.

The king size bed was exceedingly comfortable. The pool and hot tub was nice as well. A heated indoor pool in October was a pleasant experience.

The only negative I could find was the continental breakfast. It was rather plain and bland. Other than that I would highly recommend the Refuge Inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hanoverfist26
Baltimore
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We had a great stay at the Refuge Inn. Our children loved the pool and the ponies. It's very convenient to get anywhere on the Island and an easy ride (by bike, if you'd like) to the beach.

Very quaint, with nice grounds for the kids to enjoy. My wife especially loved the eco-friendly focus. We will definitely return and look forward to spending an entire week there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 30, 2010

After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided for our first trip to Chincoteague to stay at the Refuge and we were not disappointed! We stayed with our four children and my in-laws joined us so we had three rooms all together. My two oldest children enjoyed staying in the adjoining room to ours and we just left the connecting door open all the time. Since we normally rent a house when we vacation due to our family size, it was quite nice for the six of us to be able to spread out between the two hotel rooms, especially when putting the younger two kiddos down for a nap or early to bed. (in-laws had their own room) Our room was decorated like a bedroom from Country Living magazine...very cozy. We enjoyed starting our day in the breakfast room greeted with a smile by the hostess who always had something hot ready to serve us. I felt the breakfast room size was comparable to most hotel breakfast rooms. I certainly would not call it small. The fact that it was combined with the gift shop just made it more interesting... they have very tasteful, and unique gifts, nothing tacky. Was it a gourmet breakfast...no, but I would never expect that at any hotel. It certainly had more to offer than what I typically have available to choose from in my own kitchen! (eggs, toast, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, juices, milk, coffee, and sometimes waffles or french toast...what more could you want?) The tables were cleaned between each guest and there were highchairs and room trays available as well. While it was always fairly busy, we never had to wait for an available table, and we were easily able to sqeeze at least five of us around one table without feeling crowded. Moving on...the location was the best...right next to the bridge to Assateague, bike shop across the parking lot...and for a quick lunch or late night snack, McDonalds is right next door. We don't normally frequent McD's, esp. on vacation, but since we went in the off-season and several of the restaurants were closed weekdays now, we did find McD's convenient on a couple of occasions. The Sea Shell Cafe is also right across the street, as is the Oyster Museum. The pool was a big hit with our family. It is 1/2 indoor, 1/2 outdoor and heated! We swam both during the day and at night and found it to be very comfortable and clean. It was also very pretty and much larger than most hotel pools. My mother-in-law enjoyed the hot tub. I enjoyed sitting on our patio facing poolside while my youngest was napping so I could watch hubby and the older children in the pool. Of course the ponies were very popular with my horse-crazy girls also. I must say the foals were darling...following us like puppy dogs! There was also a microwave and two sets of washers and dryers which we used a couple of times and appreciated having available. Overall, the hotel was very clean inside and out, nicely landscaped, and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. I felt like I was a guest in someone's home for the week. A couple of reviews I had read commented on the need to use the AC due to the musty smell in some rooms. First, let me say that I am very particular when it comes to cleanliness and staying in hotel rooms...I'm a bit of a germaphobe, I'll admit. I had no issues with the cleanliness of the Refuge. If you live next to water, especially in low-lying areas of high humidity, you're going to have to deal with moisture and I felt like the Refuge was doing everything they could to stay on top of it. All of our rooms had a dehumidifier as well as AC and the maids changed the water daily. We visit Kiawah Is., SC every year and I've stayed in million-plus dollar homes that have a musty smell in some areas. I would say if you can't deal with that, then go visit the mountains instead. We will definitely come back to the Refuge on our next visit to CI. If I had to pick something that could've been improved, I guess I would say that I found the mattresses to be a little too firm for my personal liking, but I hear they do have Tempur-Pedic mattresses in some rooms which are very comfortable, so perhaps I will request that the next time! I would stay here over a chain hotel any day. In fact, we left and stopped in DC on the way home and stayed in a very classy executive suite in a high rise hotel and my kids said it seemed to formal and cold and wanted to go back to the Refuge! Thank you Refuge staff for your excellent service and attention during our stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank JMKGMK
Ulm
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We were positively amazed when we saw the hotel first time. The staff was cordial, the hotel rooms furnished with an individual touch. The bathroom was small, but very lovely. Our room had a balcony with two wooden chairs, so that we could enjoy the warm evening sitting on it. Beds were comfortable and the hotel very clean.
Pool was very nice and clean.
The hotel is located very close to the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Valley Stream, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Absolutely loved it. It was nice getting there after a painfully long car ride and having the wife and kids go running over to the corral to see their ponies and I could catch a break getting unpacked. You can easily leave your car there upon arrival, as the town has a bus/trolley and it stops right there. Next door to a bike rental that had all styles of bikes which was something that both wife and I loved, and if you plan on doing the trail within the park to see ponies, use the bikes!! The mosquitos will eat you alive if you do it on foot, DEET doesn't even slow them down. Breakfast is very nice and I missed it when we moved on to Ocean City. Nice weight room, liked the observation deck too. We will definitely return to this place, it is well worth what you pay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family