Just back from a long weekend at Chincoteague Island and we would definitely go back! The Refuge Inn was very comfortable and about the closest lodgings to Assateague Island you can get on Chincoteague. A big plus are the beautiful and friendly ponies they have on the premises. This is very important if you have children, as the ponies on Assateague Island are wild and most of the viewing can be from a pretty far distance. So childrens' daydreams of petting and handling ponies just aren't going to happen (nor should they with the wild ponies) unless you stay at a location with ponies or visit the Chincoteague Pony Centre (also highly recommended during your visit). My daughter just couldn't get enough of the adorable foals! The rooms at the Refuge Inn were very comfortable with nice warm touches like crown molding in the rooms and wainscoting in the bathroom. They had a perfect pool (not too warm, not too cold..just right) that was well maintained and is housed in a greenhouse like setting. The pool hours were long, 8am to 10pm which ensured that despite having a long day out, we always got our pool time in. The Refuge Inn has a bike rental place right next door and we rented bikes for 4 hours to take in Assateague Island by bike. The bikes were well maintained and the rates reasonable ($3 per hour or $14 hours for the day). I highly recommend riding bikes on Assateague - it was really fun and there are little to no hills so even the little guys can pedal no problem. We liked the breakfast at the Refuge Inn and had scrambled eggs on two of the days we were there and a delicious french toast on another. There were great breads to chose from, several different cereals, yogurt and fresh fruit. I had not expected hot foods for breakfast since the Inn refers to its breakfast as continental and really enjoyed what was offered. The Inn has swings and bbqs with picnic tables as well as a neat observation deck that my daughter and I enjoyed exploring. We met many friendly guests throughout the Inn with most being "serial visitors" (some coming several times a year). When we go back to Chincoteague we will stay at the Refuge Inn again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exceed your expectations in this family owned inn where no detail is overlooked. The Refuge Inn is located within walking distance of the wildlife refuge and minutes from our beautiful undeveloped beach. Amenities include Continental Breakfast, Wireless Internet, Indoor/Outdoor Heated Pool, Hot Tub, Fitness Room, Bicycle & Beach Gear Rentals, Conference Room and Gift Shop. A Treasure of a place, Family Owned and Proudly Operated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Refuge Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Refuge Hotel Chincoteague Island
- Refuge Chincoteague Island