“Comfortable Experience”
Review of Refuge Inn

Refuge Inn
Reviewed October 9, 2010

The Refuge Inn was recommended by my Mother and Father In Law. My first impression upon arrival was positive. Front desk person was helpful and pleasant. The layout of the inn was nice. I liked that they have the stairways and vending machines in a closed off portion between sections. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The decor was a nice mix of newer pieces with older sidepieces. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious and the bath/shower was very nice.

The king size bed was exceedingly comfortable. The pool and hot tub was nice as well. A heated indoor pool in October was a pleasant experience.

The only negative I could find was the continental breakfast. It was rather plain and bland. Other than that I would highly recommend the Refuge Inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hanoverfist26
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We had a great stay at the Refuge Inn. Our children loved the pool and the ponies. It's very convenient to get anywhere on the Island and an easy ride (by bike, if you'd like) to the beach.

Very quaint, with nice grounds for the kids to enjoy. My wife especially loved the eco-friendly focus. We will definitely return and look forward to spending an entire week there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2010

After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided for our first trip to Chincoteague to stay at the Refuge and we were not disappointed! We stayed with our four children and my in-laws joined us so we had three rooms all together. My two oldest children enjoyed staying in the adjoining room to ours and we just left the connecting door open all the time. Since we normally rent a house when we vacation due to our family size, it was quite nice for the six of us to be able to spread out between the two hotel rooms, especially when putting the younger two kiddos down for a nap or early to bed. (in-laws had their own room) Our room was decorated like a bedroom from Country Living magazine...very cozy. We enjoyed starting our day in the breakfast room greeted with a smile by the hostess who always had something hot ready to serve us. I felt the breakfast room size was comparable to most hotel breakfast rooms. I certainly would not call it small. The fact that it was combined with the gift shop just made it more interesting... they have very tasteful, and unique gifts, nothing tacky. Was it a gourmet breakfast...no, but I would never expect that at any hotel. It certainly had more to offer than what I typically have available to choose from in my own kitchen! (eggs, toast, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, juices, milk, coffee, and sometimes waffles or french toast...what more could you want?) The tables were cleaned between each guest and there were highchairs and room trays available as well. While it was always fairly busy, we never had to wait for an available table, and we were easily able to sqeeze at least five of us around one table without feeling crowded. Moving on...the location was the best...right next to the bridge to Assateague, bike shop across the parking lot...and for a quick lunch or late night snack, McDonalds is right next door. We don't normally frequent McD's, esp. on vacation, but since we went in the off-season and several of the restaurants were closed weekdays now, we did find McD's convenient on a couple of occasions. The Sea Shell Cafe is also right across the street, as is the Oyster Museum. The pool was a big hit with our family. It is 1/2 indoor, 1/2 outdoor and heated! We swam both during the day and at night and found it to be very comfortable and clean. It was also very pretty and much larger than most hotel pools. My mother-in-law enjoyed the hot tub. I enjoyed sitting on our patio facing poolside while my youngest was napping so I could watch hubby and the older children in the pool. Of course the ponies were very popular with my horse-crazy girls also. I must say the foals were darling...following us like puppy dogs! There was also a microwave and two sets of washers and dryers which we used a couple of times and appreciated having available. Overall, the hotel was very clean inside and out, nicely landscaped, and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. I felt like I was a guest in someone's home for the week. A couple of reviews I had read commented on the need to use the AC due to the musty smell in some rooms. First, let me say that I am very particular when it comes to cleanliness and staying in hotel rooms...I'm a bit of a germaphobe, I'll admit. I had no issues with the cleanliness of the Refuge. If you live next to water, especially in low-lying areas of high humidity, you're going to have to deal with moisture and I felt like the Refuge was doing everything they could to stay on top of it. All of our rooms had a dehumidifier as well as AC and the maids changed the water daily. We visit Kiawah Is., SC every year and I've stayed in million-plus dollar homes that have a musty smell in some areas. I would say if you can't deal with that, then go visit the mountains instead. We will definitely come back to the Refuge on our next visit to CI. If I had to pick something that could've been improved, I guess I would say that I found the mattresses to be a little too firm for my personal liking, but I hear they do have Tempur-Pedic mattresses in some rooms which are very comfortable, so perhaps I will request that the next time! I would stay here over a chain hotel any day. In fact, we left and stopped in DC on the way home and stayed in a very classy executive suite in a high rise hotel and my kids said it seemed to formal and cold and wanted to go back to the Refuge! Thank you Refuge staff for your excellent service and attention during our stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank JMKGMK
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We were positively amazed when we saw the hotel first time. The staff was cordial, the hotel rooms furnished with an individual touch. The bathroom was small, but very lovely. Our room had a balcony with two wooden chairs, so that we could enjoy the warm evening sitting on it. Beds were comfortable and the hotel very clean.
Pool was very nice and clean.
The hotel is located very close to the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Absolutely loved it. It was nice getting there after a painfully long car ride and having the wife and kids go running over to the corral to see their ponies and I could catch a break getting unpacked. You can easily leave your car there upon arrival, as the town has a bus/trolley and it stops right there. Next door to a bike rental that had all styles of bikes which was something that both wife and I loved, and if you plan on doing the trail within the park to see ponies, use the bikes!! The mosquitos will eat you alive if you do it on foot, DEET doesn't even slow them down. Breakfast is very nice and I missed it when we moved on to Ocean City. Nice weight room, liked the observation deck too. We will definitely return to this place, it is well worth what you pay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Our extended family visited for a long weekend prior to the BIG week. From the 60something Grands to my under 4yr nephews we had a great time. With the ponies right next to the building to the easy access to the beach it was a perfect location. If you want to be in the center of it all this place is a little off the main drag BUT within a short walk to a trolley stop. The rooms were decent size and we were able to get interlocking rooms. SEAFOOD was excellent in every place we tried.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I've been staying at The Refuge Inn every year at least once, sometimes twice a year, since 1998 and will be back again October 13, 2010 with friends. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The Inn is spotless and the location is perfect. The service is excellent and the offerings at breakfast are great. I have made friends with some of the people and always feel very welcome. There is nothing negative to be said at all. The whole Island is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and that is one of the reasons I keep coming back.. It is so quaint and peaceful.

I brought my whole family with me (17of us) a few years back and they loved it too.

I can't wait to come back. I do have some pictures I'd like to send you when I have some time.

Beverly Edwards, Lansdale, PA