“More than a 'Mom & Pop'”
Review of Refuge Inn

Refuge Inn
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I stayed at the Refuge in July right after Pony swim week. I was a little leary of staying in an independant hotel as I work in the hotel industry and usually "mom & pops" are not too nice. I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel! The staff was great, my room was HUGE and although the furniture was little dated it was very very clean. It is odd for me to write a review and not complain about the hotel's cleanliness but this was one of the cleanest hotels that was not a 5 star property that I have ever been to. They also had a great continental breakfast and a very nice gift shop. I will more than likely stay here every time I am on the island!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ssbacher

Reviewed October 22, 2007

Stayed at the Refuge for three nights. I was expecting more of an Inn, the Refuge really reminded me of a motor lodge that had upgraded rooms. My husband and I did enjoy our time here on the island and think it made the weekend more unique. We had a Deluxe room, it was nicely decorated and comfortable. Sizing was nice, we carry a lot of luggage and were able to tuck the bags into corners of the room to get them out of the way. We really enjoyed the rooftop deck, had wine up there the first night. Unfortunately our deck looked out over the pool roof.

The pool was nice, hot tub was okay, but the combination of both made the stay really relaxing.

They have a bike shop and small pony pasture on the other side of the inn parking lot. Any bikes that you bring need to be kept outside on the racks. This inn is close enough to bike to Main Street and the seashore.

I agree with the previous posting about the breakfast, it's a very small space and it's like a free-for-all at the serving area. Bagels, waffles, fruit, muffins, danish, english muffins, coffee, tea and juice. Overall, the Refuge Inn was nice, I'll give it a thumbs-up for the room design, the pool, rooftop deck, the ponies and closeness to the state park.

When we were out and about on the island we popped into the Hampton Inn on Main, the breakfast area there was very large and looked right out on the water. If we would go back to the island, I'd probably book a room there.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sensitiveartist
Reviewed October 15, 2007

The hotel is very clean, comfortable, and conveniently located. Most rooms have two queen beds. It's not cheap, though - $100 - during off season weekends. The included continental breakfast was probably the worst I've had in a hotel. First, there are only about 5 tables to sit at. Although it's off season, there were about 10 different families in the breakfast area - extremely crowded, long lines to get food (food is layed out in a very small area), and no place to sit. The food was also mediocre at best. There was a waffle iron, but it kept burning everyone's waffles. I'd stay here again in a pinch. During off season, there's only one place Don's something open for lunch and it wasn't very good. For dinner, however, AJ's on the Creek was excellent - nice atmosphere, fresh seafood, reasonably priced wine, and delicious desserts. Be sure to make a reservation, though. It was packed on Saturday night and some people waited for 2 hours to get in. There aren't many other places to eat.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Love2TravelVA
Reviewed September 17, 2007

An excellent atmospheric hotel in a great location. We will return without doubt. Relaxed atmosphere and excellent room. Free breakfast was very good too. Only one quibble...the water was not really hot enough in reception to make good tea in the afternoon, but the coffee was fine and always on tap.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Telephoned them on Monday, September 17th to book a suite for Friday, September 21st and Saturday, September 23rd.
They told me that a suite was available but only for a three night booking. That was fair enough so I decided to book a double room for the two nights I would be in the US and then would change to the suite, if it were still available when I checked in, and of course pay the difference. The reservation woman was adamant that, even though I would be moving to a suite and paying full fare for it, because I had effectively cancelled my double room booking, by upgrading to a suite within their forty eight hour cancellation period, I would be liable to pay for the double room as well as for the suite.
I did query this convoluted logic at some length but found it quite as perplexing to unravel as the English translation of the penninsula from which it emanated so did not bother to stay there at all.

Stayed: September 2007
9  Thank roderigo
Reviewed September 9, 2007

This was a great place to stay with our kids. My husband and I were both very impressed by the staff of the hotel and the bike depot next door. When my daughter accidentally locked us out of our room the front desk staff very graciously let us back in with a smile and never seemed bothered or annoyed by our adventurous children. The front desk staff also helped us with dinner reservations our first night on the island. Although the hotel is a little pricey it was worth the few extra dollars. The rooms were clean and well kept as was the lobby and hallways.
The free breakfast was enjoyable as well. The variety for a continental breakfast was excellent!
We plan to stay here every chance we get to visit the island!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank smallnfiesty1
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Excellent location and facilities; a cut above the rest of Chicoteague accommodations; staff very professional and helpful; quiet, green location. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business