“A Win For Your Travel Budget”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Chincoteague Island
Opelika, Alabama
“A Win For Your Travel Budget”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

When your humble reviewer, Mr. Flex Musclechest is ready to check out of this lifetime, he hopes to do so on Chincoteague Island. In the meantime, I will probably stay here. I will admit I had my doubts at the outset, but Mrs. M insisted we were not likely to do any better with no reservations, and probably slightly worse.

It's an older place for sure, but the landscaping is pleasant, and the gravel parking area sort of gives it a beach-y feel. The room was clean, everything worked as it should, and it was fairly quiet. The room itself does have a bit of a sardine can vibe, with all the furniture kind of mooshed in together.

The management appears to live on site and he runs a somewhat tight ship. It's about as centrally located as you're going to get and you can't beat having your car directly outside your room. It ain't the Ritz, but it works.

Room Tip: They're all about the same, I think. The far end is close to the trash and vending machines.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Flex M
abvichincoteague, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Chincoteague Island, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Flex M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay in February. I am pleased that you choose to stay with us. Our rooms are perfect for travelers of all sorts. As we are located near the peer, we do have a lot of fisherman who enjoy our rooms. We hope that you stay with us again sometime!

Americas Best Value Inn and Suites-Chincoteague Island, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Just returned from our trip to Chincoteague. My wife and I had talked about it for years and now was the time. I had looked at advertisements for all the different inns, motels and individual houses for rent in Chincoteague but did not make any reservations because nothing looked that good for the prices being quoted.

Thankfully, coming over the bridge into Chincoteague I saw the sign for Americas Best Value Inn & Suites and pulled in. The manager was wonderful. He allowed us to look at the room before making a commitment. My wife and I being "cleaners" we pulled back the covers and sheets to lift up the mattress and check not only the seams for any signs of bugs but checked behind the headboard also. I smelled the sheets and could tell that they were bleached when they were washed. We always bring our own sheets when we travel but found no need to use them. Also we bring our own cleaning materials because we prefer certain ones. Did we find any dirt? Youbetterbelieveit; but our room at ABVI was far cleaner than most of the beach front condos we have rented in Florida.

We simply wanted some place to lay our heads after spending the waking hours viewing and taking pictures of Chincoteague. We got more than that with the hot coffee and doughnuts in the morning. The manager was always friendly and easy to talk to. And the price was better than I expected. Overall, I give the ABVI a great rating as it was comfortable for what we paid. My wife is always particular about where she stays but she enjoyed it as much as I did. She even said that she wouldn't mind staying there when we come back. I like that--it doesn't hurt my wallet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Charles C,

On behalf of the management, I would like to thank you for posting a traveler review. We take great pride in our facilities. It is our goal to ensure that each guest has a memorable experience while visiting the Island. Come back and see us again!

Big Pool, Maryland
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Spent our short (3 night) honeymoon over Labor Day weekend here. The bed was king-sized ditch, there was dried dog poop on the carpet, cobwebs in the window and the bathroom. No breakfast/coffee until after 8 am, donuts were stale and mushy. I thought that $100 a night was twice what we should have paid even for a holiday weekend! A/C was very loud, close to the bed and rather inefficient.
On the plus side, the pool was very clean and maintained as were the grounds and the personnel were polite. The daily morning visits by the local ducks were fun - and they liked the stale donuts!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SueB2013,

I appreciate the fact that you took time to share a review with us. I am concerned about the issues you experienced during your stay. Please know that we have recently added a few items to our breakfast to include waffles, bagels, muffins, donuts, coffee, apple, and orange juice. We do our best to make sure that each of our guests have an enjoyable experience with us. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Chincoteague Island hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Compared to many others on Chinco, this ABVI was priced quite reasonable. Rooms were clean just a tad small. But it was fine. Only complaint was the AC was real close to our bed and little loud. Altho we had two beds. The pool was very clean, Owner was a nice Indian guy. Indians are nice people, but I preferred to stay in a non-Indian owned motel because in my experience, they are not clean to American standards. But this motel was really nice. Location is great too. Upon checking out, I told the owner the place is very clean and I was thankful for that. I don't hesitate to tell them what I think. If it's dirty let them know. If it's clean, commend them! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a ABVI Value Card first to get a huge discount before reserving.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coffeensunrise
Dear Coffeesunrise,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. Sorry for taking so long to respond to your review. I am glad to hear that you was pleased with our clean rooms at reasonable prices. We hope that you stay with us again should you return to the area!

PA
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Decided to take my daughters on a late summer vacation and chose this location because of the price. I remembered seeing the property on a previous visit & noting that it appeared-well kept from the outside. Upon arriving, I understood why some of the previous reviewers had good things to say about the staff - They were helpful & friendly. The rooms, while small, were clean & we had no problems with temperature control. The pool was nice, and the breakfast was adequate to get us started for the day.

Regarding location - this motel is only a short walk from the shops & restaurants on Main Street, and in the other direction , a short walk to 2 ice cream places on Maddox Blvd...perfect for the family!

A nice surprise for the kids (and me, too) was the appearance of 'stars' on the ceiling upon turning out the lights - I asked at the desk about them and was told that they painted them during one off-season & that most of the rooms have them.

I recommend this place as a good value, family-friendly location & would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear EMTrekker,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to personally thank you for sharing a review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our clean rooms, pool, and convenient location to shops and restaurants. We hope that you visit us again in the future.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I'm from the Eastern Shore and live now in Charlotte N.C. , my sweetie and I came down to visit the kids for Christmas . We arrived quite late , but Wayne greeted us with a cheery smile and offered to share his dinner . He had made sure the heat was comfy , and asked if there was anything we needed . When arriving to the room , I found the room clean , smelling good and very charming . Wayne had also told us about a nice little restaurant just down the street . Being off season we had it almost to ourselves , what a treat ! The food was great ...Later on when we went to bed , I looked up and saw on the ceiling what appeared to be " stars " . Come to find out it was the type of paint making it to appear like stars . What a charming touch . We are already making plans to return , this time to the Jacuzzi Suite , which of course Wayne let us take a peak at . Over all what a wonderful stay on Chincoteague Island , it brought back lots of childhood memories , and made some new ones . Thanks Wayne for bringing the touch of Personal in our Trip .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We chose this place because it allowed us to bring our dog. The room was nothing special, but it was clean and in a great location, at a great price. The owner and housekeeping staff were all extremely nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was a smoking room at one point. We didn't mind, but if you are sensitive to that kind...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple