“Dried dog poop and overpriced”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Chincoteague Island
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Spent our short (3 night) honeymoon over Labor Day weekend here. The bed was king-sized ditch, there was dried dog poop on the carpet, cobwebs in the window and the bathroom. No breakfast/coffee until after 8 am, donuts were stale and mushy. I thought that $100 a night was twice what we should have paid even for a holiday weekend! A/C was very loud, close to the bed and rather inefficient.
On the plus side, the pool was very clean and maintained as were the grounds and the personnel were polite. The daily morning visits by the local ducks were fun - and they liked the stale donuts!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
abvichincoteague, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Chincoteague Island, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear SueB2013,

I appreciate the fact that you took time to share a review with us. I am concerned about the issues you experienced during your stay. Please know that we have recently added a few items to our breakfast to include waffles, bagels, muffins, donuts, coffee, apple, and orange juice. We do our best to make sure that each of our guests have an enjoyable experience with us. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Compared to many others on Chinco, this ABVI was priced quite reasonable. Rooms were clean just a tad small. But it was fine. Only complaint was the AC was real close to our bed and little loud. Altho we had two beds. The pool was very clean, Owner was a nice Indian guy. Indians are nice people, but I preferred to stay in a non-Indian owned motel because in my experience, they are not clean to American standards. But this motel was really nice. Location is great too. Upon checking out, I told the owner the place is very clean and I was thankful for that. I don't hesitate to tell them what I think. If it's dirty let them know. If it's clean, commend them! Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a ABVI Value Card first to get a huge discount before reserving.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coffeensunrise

Dear Coffeesunrise,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. Sorry for taking so long to respond to your review. I am glad to hear that you was pleased with our clean rooms at reasonable prices. We hope that you stay with us again should you return to the area!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Decided to take my daughters on a late summer vacation and chose this location because of the price. I remembered seeing the property on a previous visit & noting that it appeared-well kept from the outside. Upon arriving, I understood why some of the previous reviewers had good things to say about the staff - They were helpful & friendly. The rooms, while small, were clean & we had no problems with temperature control. The pool was nice, and the breakfast was adequate to get us started for the day.

Regarding location - this motel is only a short walk from the shops & restaurants on Main Street, and in the other direction , a short walk to 2 ice cream places on Maddox Blvd...perfect for the family!

A nice surprise for the kids (and me, too) was the appearance of 'stars' on the ceiling upon turning out the lights - I asked at the desk about them and was told that they painted them during one off-season & that most of the rooms have them.

I recommend this place as a good value, family-friendly location & would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear EMTrekker,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to personally thank you for sharing a review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our clean rooms, pool, and convenient location to shops and restaurants. We hope that you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I'm from the Eastern Shore and live now in Charlotte N.C. , my sweetie and I came down to visit the kids for Christmas . We arrived quite late , but Wayne greeted us with a cheery smile and offered to share his dinner . He had made sure the heat was comfy , and asked if there was anything we needed . When arriving to the room , I found the room clean , smelling good and very charming . Wayne had also told us about a nice little restaurant just down the street . Being off season we had it almost to ourselves , what a treat ! The food was great ...Later on when we went to bed , I looked up and saw on the ceiling what appeared to be " stars " . Come to find out it was the type of paint making it to appear like stars . What a charming touch . We are already making plans to return , this time to the Jacuzzi Suite , which of course Wayne let us take a peak at . Over all what a wonderful stay on Chincoteague Island , it brought back lots of childhood memories , and made some new ones . Thanks Wayne for bringing the touch of Personal in our Trip .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We chose this place because it allowed us to bring our dog. The room was nothing special, but it was clean and in a great location, at a great price. The owner and housekeeping staff were all extremely nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was a smoking room at one point. We didn't mind, but if you are sensitive to that kind...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited Chincoteague Island for a getaway weekend and stayed here. We chose this Inn because they allowed us to bring our small dog. The room was very clean and comfortable and we enjoyed our stay. Raman was very helpful and hospitable. All in all it was a good choice for us and we will plan to stay here again on future visits.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stopped at a VA Welcome center and I asked the volunteer for a motel recommendation. She said she wasn't allowed to say, but another visitor overheard and told me she highly recommended this hotel. I can see why. Owner showed us several awards they'd won (for cleanliness, etc), Our room had microwave, coffeemaker, and small refrigerator. Continental breakfast served in office. You are treated like family. Loved staying here!

Room Tip: Ask for the Best Price, and perhaps he'll give you a deal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple