“Our first Visit...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tom's Cove Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chincoteague Island
Tom's Cove Park
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Our first Visit...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our first visit and would return again. We enjoyed a waterfront campsite with spectacular views of the inlet, Assateague Island and most importantly the ponies. If you're an ornithologist, it does not get much better. The campground is divided into three major areas with permanent, overnight and storage sites. All well maintained and kept cleaned. Our only suggestions would be to update the bathhouses in the overnight sections which while clean, are heavily worn. Paving of the gravel roads to keep the dust down would add tremendously to the quality of life and enjoyment of the campground.

Room Tip: Campsites 1 through 22 offer the best views of the inlet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JKM127

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Amesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

this is a large park with predominantly year round static caravans. the camping area is small but nice with trees and large plots for each tent, along with a picnic table and fire area. the bathroom and showers are old but functional and clean. the pool is lovely and large for a campsite. the staff were friendly and helpful in directing us to somewhere for dinner and to shop.
near the tent area is a small crabbing/fishing pier - one morning we got there to find we had just missed a dolphin by 10minutes.
the only problem we found was the other guests who were noisy - the first night we had very loud music being played till 9pm, the second night was a group of noisy girl scouts :) not much that the staff can do about that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank susannah365
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We found Toms Cove by accident and it was great. We weren't quite prepared to camp but had a tent and a few blankets. We found all items we needed to do a quick cook out and some mosquito spray and firewood at the shop. The bathrooms were good and we loved the sites and the amenities were clean. The only down side was that the store on site was a little pricey.

Room Tip: Ask to drive around and view the camp sites, then you can choose
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Palm, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have been camping at Tom's Cover for 25 years with a 8 year absence until this year. I was so happy to go back after not being there for so long and nothing has really changed! So what if they don't take credit cards, there is an ATM right inside the store if you're not prepared. We stayed a week and had no problems with our site, we had an excellent view of the Channel and the Lighthouse! If you are there during Pony Penning Week, you can walk up the channel to the pony swim area as long as you don't mind a little muck. We fished on 2 of the 3 piers and I caught a Skate! The bathrooms were always clean, everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating! There is a new Laundromat since I was last there and I lost a quarter but the store gave it back to me, Lol. One year we were there our campsite flooded out and they moved us to a even nicer campsite, now we always camp in that area instead. I highly recommend this campground to everyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BCL0ver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I agree with previous reviews that the reservation system is out of date. I didn't really like sending in a check and waiting to see if our reservation was excepted, it was but I still didn't like the wait and not knowing where our site was. We stayed in the tent area which was nice and shady, some sites are a little awkward to get your tent into. But I LOVED how they didn't put anyone next to us, they left a site in between everyone. I'm sure they can't do that when they are really busy but it is great they do that when they can. It was nice and quiet at night, they send around a pick-up truck to pick up garbage a few times a day, the restrooms were close by as was the swimming pool. The toilets are separate from the showers. Both were fine I thought, there was always plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, the bathrooms were always clean and picked up. In the morning a man was rinsing the shower house stalls with Pine-Sol, the walls could have used to be scrubbed, but no big deal. The store is great it has a little bit of everything. They even have bikes you can rent and I think scooters too. We took our own bikes and rode to the beach which is a little more than 8 miles. We really enjoyed going out to the docks in the evening, we even saw porpoise just off the docks. Overall we LOVED our stay at Tom's Cove and have told friends that are planning a visit themselves. I hope we can re-visit in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Vacationnthree
Paris, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed here for 9 nights during pony penning week. We made our reservation back in April and requested a waterfront (Assateague Channel) site. We arrived around 9:00 in the morning (check-in is anytime after 8:00 AM with no extra fee for early check-in) on a Friday and were assigned a waterfront site perfectly sized for our rig. The campground staff (both check-in and camp store) were very helpful and friendly. We backed in with no problem and were greeted with an awesome view of the lighthouse and a band of ponies the area is famous for grazing out on the marsh. The waterfront sites have 50 amp electric service and good water pressure, but they do not have sewer. We were a little bummed about that since we were staying 9 nights, but we made it work, and honestly the view was worth the inconvenience (purchased one of the famous blue totes at the camp store, reasonably priced I might add). Reading some of the other reviews, it seems many did not care for the seasonal campers, but honestly we didn’t see anything terribly run down and the seasonal sites are pretty well segregated from the nightly sites. I also saw some negative comments about Tom’s Cove not accepting credit cards or on-line reservations, but I count that as part of the charm of the place and in keeping with the quirkiness (in a good way) of the rest of Chincoteague Island. My only complaint is with the excessive number of golf carts in the park. Being in a waterfront site, I suppose there were maybe a few more carts “cruising” the waterfront than there were in the rest of the park, but it seemed excessive to us. The rules also state that you must have a drivers license to operate a golf cart, but I know there were underage kids driving them. We saw one group pulling wheelies with their golf cart! Maybe a bit more enforcement is in order.

Pros: friendly helpful staff, very nice fishing piers, nice clubhouse, nice pool (we did not use), great view of the pony swim, clean restrooms and showers, Mr. Whippy ice cream truck comes thru the park in the evening, nice sized sites, clean dump station area, nice mix of open and shaded sites, well stocked camp store

Cons: too many golf carts and lack of operator rules enforcement, no fire rings

We stayed here in a 37’ fifth wheel and would definitely stay here again (next year!). The $57 rate includes tax.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PalominoTravler
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

The reservation system is unnecessarily time consuming. The rental office has phones... "in this day and age" you should be able to use a credit card or the phone and reserve the site you want. I camped here for several nights and the bathrooms near the camping area was disgusting, had the appearance and feel of filth and the stalls are a weird height so if you stand up, you can see other folks doing their business. The shower stalls were like stepping into an oven, cramped little spaces with no dry surfaces, I was uncomfortable touching any surface in the restrooms or bathhouse near the campsites. Disgusting! Renovate! The bathroom with showers near the front office were nice. We ended up walking there each time we needed to shower, etc. I'm used to camping at State and National parks that offer more privacy between camp sites, more space between campsites, nicer bathrooms, and fire pits for your tent! This place doesn't have fire pits. Why on earth wouldn't they have fire pits? The club house is nice, with wifi and inexpensive snacks. It's a great place to see the ponies crossing over from the other island. I think the cost is too high, especially with those nasty bathrooms, the lack of privacy between campsites and absence of a fire pit were disappointing. The campground should hire someone to cleanup the trash all over the property, there were about 100 of those plastic dental floss sticks that several employees walked by without picking up.

All that being said, I had a nice time on my trip and at this campground. The other visitors that I met were nice, the employees were polite and helpful. We spent very little time other than cooking and sleeping at this campground, so it was a fine place for that and leaving to do other things. But the price should be more like the State parks--or even less because the amenities need improvement. I'm not sure if I would stay here again or try another campground. If they renovated the showers and bathroom nearest the pool, and purchased fire pits, I'd probably stay here again and rate it 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo