Review Highlights

Great true service shop!

Reviewed April 21, 2016
Mike G
Cincinnati, Ohio

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 25, 2018 via mobile

Sadly this little throw back to the old days is gone forever. Dan and Peggy have closed up shop to care for Peggy’s 100 year old mother. Just so sad not to be able to stop in and visit when we come to town!

1  Thank p n
Reviewed April 21, 2016

We gave been going to the island for years now and don't get bikes serviced until we get to this shop. Fast and quality that goes above and beyond what is asked and done right . Price is great. If you have a problem he has most parts in stock. Great mom and pop store with true service

Reviewed August 23, 2015

I had derailer issues before I got to Chicoteague in 2013, and stopped in. Very experienced owner/repairperson and his wife. Very efficient, dependable and friendly service. He made a temporary fix to my bike so I could ride it in lower gears and finish my vacation with little outlay of money. He suggested a new derailed for 'down the road' as I recall but there was absolutely NO Pressure to do it then. Price was very fair and bike was repaired in the very short time promised. I would definitely use this shop again when I am there. We will be heading there again this year (with a new derailed) and I wouldn't hesitate to use this shop again if I run into issues.

Reviewed August 12, 2015

I've been coming to Chincoteague for vacation literally since before I was born. Part of the experience is riding your bikes to the beach. On my second day of vacation this year, some derailleur issues threatened to derail our biking experience. Rode over to Mid Town Bike Store, where the repairman (Pa) quickly assessed the situation. He recommended new gear cables and some adjustments. Said he'd have me rode worthy in an hour. We took in some shopping on Main Street and were called by Ma just under an hour later. My bike was all fixed up and vacation continued, all for under $40! Good deal! I highly recommend.

1  Thank Gregory D
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Peggy and Daniel Bernstein founded Mid Town Bicycle in 1977. Today, they still run their shop out of Chincoteague, Virginia - one of just three bicycle repairs shops on the Eastern Shore.

I brought my bike in, due to a broken handlebar gear shift - and a thirty-mile bike ride scheduled in just a few days.

Unlike some shops that employ inexperienced technicians, Mr. Bernstein still repairs the bicycles himself. His knowledge and years of experience were evident, when he did several repairs: replace the handlebar gear shift lever with a new, in stock part, replace a cable housing and cable, install a basket mount and basket, and other accessories.

After the repair, he insisted that I do a test ride, to make sure that everything was operating perfectly. Any minor adjustments were done immediately. In addition to the thoroughness and prompt, personable service, the rates for the parts and labor were extremely reasonable.

If you want the service of days gone by, where customers are handled in order and with undivided attention - this is your shop. I was originally puzzled as to how this shop got so many positive reviews. But after talking with Mr. and Mrs. Bernstein, and seeing their expertise first hand, I was thrilled to have met them and benefited from their experience.

It was also very enjoyable hearing their stories from years gone by. Even if you do not need to buy a bicycle, accessories or get a repair, stop by and say hello - you will be glad you did!

2  Thank BruceMoosedotCom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Awesome little bike shop and repair on Maddox Blvd. The owners were friendly, and very nice to help us out. He fixed the bike in great time, and was really great to have someone that could fix it in a short amount of time and have such nice service! Great shop on Chincoteague Island, and if we ever have a problem with our bikes while were staying on the island, I will always bring them here! Highly, highly, highly, recommend Mid Town Bike Shop!

1  Thank chb125
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We bought a few items for our bikes and asked him to tune-up the bikes and give them a once over for safety and preventive maintenance purposes.. He did a great job. Prompt service and a very nice person to meet and deal with. He joked that the police almost gave him a ticket for speeding while he was test driving the bikes.

He can fix anything on a bike and his rates are very reasonable. Had some unique items in stock to add to the bikes. We bought some of them.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Living in the salt air can be hard on a bike, but this shop works hard to keep the old bikes rolling. Man who runs it is a curmudgeon, but he doesa good job on bikes.

1  Thank frequenttravails
Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you need anything for your bike, try Mid Town. Dan can fix anything. Does not rent bikes.

Reviewed August 22, 2009

I was at Chincoteague a couple of weeks ago and got a flat tire on my bike on the first day, just as I was about to bike into the park, real bummer. The bike rental shops wouldn't help me fix the flat, so I was walking back to the hotel looking for a real bike shop. The only one I found was the Mid Town Bike Shop which is, appropriately, about midway down the length of Maddox. Unfortunately they closed at 4 PM so I was out of luck.

The next day on Saturday I did make it to the shop. This nice little shop has been run by this couple seemingly for decades. They said they were one of the very first places to rent bicycles on the island but now they don't compete with the bigger concessions. They do however sell bikes, parts, accessories, and do basic service. The gentleman sold me a new inner tube and installed it at a very reasonable price. While I was there they were helping another family pick out a bicycle to purchase. All in all they were extremely helpful and it was a great pleasure to find a place like this on a busy tourist strip. Pay them a visit for your bicycle needs while your on the island.

8  Thank Rogard R