“Cute Victorian charmer but overpriced icecream and too small portions”

Muller's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlour
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Ohio
“Cute Victorian charmer but overpriced icecream and too small portions”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We tried this ice cream parlor during our vacation in July 2009. The ice cream was good however we thought the portions were very small and the prices very high (me, my husband, and our 3 young kids). Very cute old fashioned place but for taste and value we preferred The Island Creamery, followed by Mr. Whippy. The woman behind the counter (who served our ice cream) was holding a kitten- which my kids loved but is not very good for the food business, if you know what I mean! (Hello, VA department of health?!).

Pittsburgh, PA
“Tremendous Ice Cream- Very Expensive”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I absolutely loved the my homemade belgian waffle and ice cream. I was also happy to be the first to receive fresh peaches of the season. Our service was fine, but I did experience a bit of sticker shock. I believe it was approx. $20 for the two of us. I will say though our serving was so large, we didn't need dinner anyway.

This is a neat place to walk around. The newspaper articles regarding how Muller's came to be I found interesting.

1 Thank MSeybert
iladelphia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible Experiences for Pricey Ice Cream”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

.For many years, my family has enjoyed the ambiance and late evening ice cream experience that Muller had offered. The last two years, we have tried Muller two separate times, hoping that the owners would be friendlier, the atmosphere would improve and prices would be reasonable for the ice cream sold.

No such luck.

The staff is rude and ridiculing; I suppose it was our mistake to think that an ice cream parlor means you are providing a service, which is SELLING ice cream. The experience of an old fashion ice cream parlor is as faded as the outside building. The prices are outrageously expensive for the amount given. They are only open between 12-5 and 7-11. Sorry, you can't get ice cream between 5-7. We will not be returning and have redirected our patronage to the Island Creamery.

Pennsylvania
“Charming place to eat pretty good ice cream”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

This ice cream parlour has outdoor seating and nice little rooms with interesting decorations, including all sorts of old fashioned ice cream scoopers. My daughter enjoyed especially the double dip cone as the two scoops are side by side on a wide cone. I am sure the root beer floats would be good as it is Old Dominion on tap, but did not get a chance to try it. They have a great chocolate with a strange name I cannot remember. It is a quiet charming atmosphere and a recommended stop during an evening stroll along Main Street.

Island Creamery on the main road to the beach does have superior ice cream in texture, the best tasting waffle cones I have had, and the scoops are larger (pecan praline, lemon, Elvis's chocolate surprise, mud, and the combo of pineapple and coconut scoops stand out). However, the line was incredibly long after dinner, and it can be hard to find parking until you figure out the back entrance to the large gravel parking lot in back.

2 Thank CC94
San Antonio, Texas
“Old-fashioned ice cream-Try Island creamery too!”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I'm surprised by all the negative reviews for Muller's. We felt that it was much more appealing atmosphere-wise than Mr. Whippy's or the Island Creamery. The ice cream was good (not great), but the service was fabulous. The root beer is awesome as well. I would definitely try all three ice cream shops (Mr. Whippy's and the Island Creamery on Maddox Blvd) and decide for yourself!

1 Thank makehistory