Tripadvisor
Search
Open today: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Wonderful place!

We love the refuge in the winter. We still see a lot of wildlife and do not get attacked by... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
245randallc
Takoma Park, Maryland
Really cool experience

I don’t know what I was expecting but this place was really amazing. There is so much to see here... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Gerryp84
Petersburg, Virginia
via mobile

2,972 results
All reviews visitor center bug spray wild ponies hiking trails the loop beautiful beach wildlife refuge beach area bird watching great place to visit entrance fee tom's cove light house natural beauty bus tour off season rented bikes
Selected filters
Reviewed February 8, 2012

It was off season for beach goers, but enough people to not feel lonely. I hiked a number of the trails and was enchanted by all the different varieties of birds! I am not a birder, but have become more interested in them and intend to check out a few of the wildlife refuges near my house to continue photographing and observing the birds and wildlife. The Visitor Center is modern and has facilities that provides a variety of educational programs, exhibits and a nice gift shop.
There is a fee to enter the Refuge, but on the weekend that I visited it was free because of Veterans Day. The lighthouse costs extra. (I believe it's $4.00). I was unable to go in because I was out to hike and brought no money with me.
On my second visit, I got to see the ponies, really a treat!! They were close enough for me to be able to get a few nice pictures of them. I have to say, it really was exciting for me to be able to see truly wild horses (ponies)!!
The beach is beautiful and vast, it seems to go on forever. I managed to get to the Refuge 3 days in a row, and I still didn't get to see everything I that I wanted to. Just ran out of time, I guess I'll just have to go back!!! Hopefully VERY soon -- I loved it!

Date of experience: November 2011
1  Thank kdbaggs
Reviewed January 30, 2012

With migratory wildfowl there is always something different to see here. Don't ever go without a camera or at least binoculars.

Date of experience: December 2011
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Wonderful! Would love to get back soon! Weather was really nice for the time of year, great for being outside

Date of experience: December 2011
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I like this relatively small refuge. Of course, it has a great boat launch, but a bit expensive. It has very interesting fortifications under the dunes where large gun emplacements used to be housed. It has pleasant nature walks that go out of a nice wetlands overlook and past a legacy graveyard. Its especially nice to kayak in the wetlands and to watch the waterfowl from hidden observation posts.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

The Chinoteague National Wildlife Refuge is a fun and educational place to visit, even in the winter. This is one of the few places where adults, teens and children can find something interesting. On the day we visited the Bateman Center had a webcam on an Eagles nest where an Eagle had just laid an egg the day before. Where on earth would you ever get to see that live>

The Wildlife loop opens to vehicle traffic early in the evening. Don't miss the opportunity to see deer, geese, ducks and the famous Chincoteague ponies up close. The sights and types of wildlife varies according to the seasons and there are places to stop along to the loop to read displays about how the ponds are prepared for each season.

We also took a short walk to the Lighthouse. There is a small fee to enter the house but it is well worth the five bucks. The summer can bring a light of biting insects so insect spray is a must.

There is a fee to enter the Refuge ($8 for the day per vehicle) but you can bike into the Refuge for free. The fee gets you into the Refuge to enjoy the wildlife and/or enjoy the beach. This is one of the most unspoiled places on the East Coast. Don't miss it!

Date of experience: January 2012