“Bird Watching Paradise”

Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncrowded wildlife refuge managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We traveled the refuge to watch birds. We saw an eagle's nest on Wild Life Loop. The mother eagle was on the nest, and the father was on a neighboring tree keeping watch over his family. The refuge workers in the visitor's center were helpful, and very able to describe where to find the nest.

1  Thank picturetakingone
Write a ReviewReviews (2,676)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"the east coast"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed February 8, 2012

It was off season for beach goers, but enough people to not feel lonely. I hiked a number of the trails and was enchanted by all the different varieties of birds! I am not a birder, but have become more interested in them and intend to check out a few of the wildlife refuges near my house to continue photographing and observing the birds and wildlife. The Visitor Center is modern and has facilities that provides a variety of educational programs, exhibits and a nice gift shop.
There is a fee to enter the Refuge, but on the weekend that I visited it was free because of Veterans Day. The lighthouse costs extra. (I believe it's $4.00). I was unable to go in because I was out to hike and brought no money with me.
On my second visit, I got to see the ponies, really a treat!! They were close enough for me to be able to get a few nice pictures of them. I have to say, it really was exciting for me to be able to see truly wild horses (ponies)!!
The beach is beautiful and vast, it seems to go on forever. I managed to get to the Refuge 3 days in a row, and I still didn't get to see everything I that I wanted to. Just ran out of time, I guess I'll just have to go back!!! Hopefully VERY soon -- I loved it!

1  Thank kdbaggs
Reviewed January 30, 2012

With migratory wildfowl there is always something different to see here. Don't ever go without a camera or at least binoculars.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Wonderful! Would love to get back soon! Weather was really nice for the time of year, great for being outside

See more reviews
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I like this relatively small refuge. Of course, it has a great boat launch, but a bit expensive. It has very interesting fortifications under the dunes where large gun emplacements used to be housed. It has pleasant nature walks that go out of a nice wetlands overlook and past a legacy graveyard. Its especially nice to kayak in the wetlands and to watch the waterfowl from hidden observation posts.