“I agree with "underwhelmed" on this one ~ disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Valdosta, Georgia
“I agree with "underwhelmed" on this one ~ disappointing”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here July 15, 16th & 17th. We were visiting Civil War sites and chose this hotel because of the Trip Advisor rating. I was very disappointed!! The hotel is older and worn. Our room was mostly clean (had one incident but housekeeping promptly took care of it) but the room smelled musty.

My biggest complaint is with the [un]cleanliness of the breakfast area. The second day of our trip the kitchen area was a disaster!! Pancake batter, cereal, and other breakfast items were everywhere! The milk containers were empty and all the tables were dirty. Granted, we did come down at 8:30 but I was still surprised. The girl working the front desk said she was also working the kitchen so I thought, ok, she's busy, this isn't typical. Wrong. When we returned that evening I checked the kitchen area and it was still dirty. Pancake crumbs were still on the floor and counters. The curtain next to the coffee had creamer spilled all down it.

It was the same way the next morning. Before checking out at 11, I took pictures of the dirty kitchen area (two hours after breakfast ended). the pictures show pancake batter and crumbs on the countertop and floor.

I have read other reviews of this inn and many are glowing. However, I will never return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Sandra J,

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Country Inn is located about 20 minutes outside of Richmond in Chester, a vast wasteland of chain restaurants and hotels. I'm not sure why I booked so far away from Richmond and its nasty brown river, but be aware that it's going to take a decent drive to get to a restaurant that doesn't resembles an Applebees.

Having said that, the hotel itself is fine. The biggest downside is the single elevator, which was only a pain in the butt on Night 1, when a boys' baseball team took over the hallways of the hotel. I hate children as much as the next sensible person, and they pretty much brought the single elevator to a halt. Luckily, they were gone the next day. If the hotel is only moderately booked, it's not a major problem, but at full capacity you should be prepared for a wait.

The Wi-Fi worked very well, which was extremely important. The TV had more channels than most hotels I've stayed in. The bed was comfortable. The hot tub area was clean. The breakfast bar had a waffle maker, and when they ran out of waffles on Day 2, we walked next door to Cracker Barrel. There's also a Denny's next door and, if you're craving class, a Hooters across the street.

This wasn't a bad place to call home for a few days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you concerns about the elevator. We really do value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. ; Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Wellington, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place was exceptionally clean the staff very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and very comfortable. After driving 9 hours we were happy to find this place. We had a great nights sleep well rested for the rest of our journey. The breakfast in the morning had a large selection to choose from to. There were many places to eat near by too. The swimming pool was great to. I would stay here again.

Dear Denise L,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate you, and your family. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean ,safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2013

After reading so many nice reviews of the property, I was very underwhelmed. Perhaps we had a bad room, but our room had a musty smell to it. It was dark and for a newer property, our room was rather beat-up as well (scuffed walls, furniture, etc). It wasn't comfortable for me and my family, so we ended up going elsewhere. The young lady at check-in could improve her demenaor as well, seeing that she works in the service industry.

1 Thank Maurice W
Many Listed
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had the best experience.I'm so glad I found this place! It's a really nice hotel in a nice area. I love-love-LOVE the interior design and overall concept of the hotel that works to be GOOD for the environment. It's located next to a skating ring and plenty of places to eat. Also, down the street to a mall.

I stayed in a king size room-it was a very roomy area. It was very quiet there and I got alot of the rest that I needed. The staff was super-super friendly too.

Overall I really liked this place and actually miss it! I highly recommended it for its cleanliness, great amenities, friendly service, and location!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear GreatExperienceVa,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during your business trip. We really appreciate all of our business travelers. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your feedback. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Sincerely,,
Sebastian, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I very rarely give 5 stars for a hotel but this one deserves it! This place was exceptionally clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. They accepted my coupon and did not put us in a tiny room which is usually the case. I sometimes do not get a great reaction when they see my coupon but certainly not the case here! We travel frequently between Florida and Mass. so this hotel will go to the top of my list.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear spnguys,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback regarding your stay. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you for your feedback. We will pass it on to our staff. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

You won't be disappointed if you book this hotel. The staff was great, hotel was cleaned. This was my first time staying at this hotel and I was very pleased, I must say. I travel a lot, so if I can say that this place was great BELIEVE ME. All amenities exceeded our expectations, especially the complimentary breakfast in the morning. I needed to make some changes to my reservations and the front desk staff was so accommodating. The bed was great and the pillows were as nice as any hotel we have stayed at. They had cookies and coffee/tea 24/7. The pool and hot tub area was well maintained. There are many restaurants in the area. I will definitely stay at Country Inn & Suites the next time I visit Chester VA

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Chester, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Nee-Nee914,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that you stayed with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate your needed changes. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean,safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.