“Welcoming and friendly home atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Homewood Suites by Hilton
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersGold level
Louisiana
“Welcoming and friendly home atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I visited three nights during a lull between two snow storms. The desk attendant was very attentive and helpful, suggesting i park where the lot would not be icy in the morning. Breakfast had healthy choices and a delicous variety of traditional foods.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

The location of the property is South Richmond off of I-95 at the Chester/Hopewell exit. Upon arrival to the hotel I was greeted by the front desk agent sitting on a barstool type chair, reading a paperback novel. While she was very friendly and helpful this was not the image I expect upon arriving to any hotel with an affiliation of Hilton Hotels.

My initial room key did not work, twice and I subsequently had to request a new room even before accessing my original room. The front desk agent claimed there was nothing wrong with the key and then instructed me on the use of the key card system.

The internet service was poor and practically not usable during my entire stay. It precluded me from having my intended meetings at the hotel and presented an ongoing problem throughout my three night stay. It is possible the volume on the internet was so great it impacted my usage, however, there was not a point during my stay where the service improved, no matter the time of day.

I will say after checking out I contacted Hilton Customer Service and did receive a response from one of the management personnel at the hotel with a proposed resolution, however, it doesn't make up for the inconvenience of the most important, internet accessibility.

I think the management is doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Ownership needs to infuse some capital to upgrade certain aspects of the facility.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank LiscomeBay
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Traveling to South Carolina we decided to stop over at this hotel. We had the larger 2 bedroom suite. It was excellent. A lot of space and we had a good night rest. We used the pool, which is also very nice. The people are very helpful and kind.
I wish their breakfast was a little better. Their eggs are fake, coffee is so so. It's free, so I guess people will not complain. I will not either. I am again planning a trip and already made my reservation for the same suite. I will have breakfast somewhere else.
It is nice and quite. I like it. My compliments to their staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, KS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed here for over three weeks and in general was satisfied except for the maintenance of the room. I changed rooms twice due to maintenance issues. The issues were fixed by the staff after a few days.
Positives:
- Good location close to I-95 yet quiet.
- Dinners served in the evening-not delicious, but for a tired businessman, it's great on some nights.
- Housekeeping. Nice attention to detail.
- Full size fridge and freezer with ice-maker.
- Comfy beds with 8 pillows of different softness.
Negatives:
- Air Conditioners take forever to cool the room (on a 90 degree day, it didn't cool off until after 8pm with the air on Max).
- Dish disposals in all three rooms were siezed-up. I was able to free one with a knife.
- Stove Burners. One burner would not seat in the socket.
- Diswasher. One Dishwasher would not fill with water.
- Flatscreen TVs, but only analog signal.
- No Wifi in Rooms (available in Lobby) although the LAN in room works well.
- No overhang roof at the entrance (Had to unload luggage in a downpour)
- Clock radios can only be re-set by hotel maintenance.

Room Tip: Test everything in the room before you unpack.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

I travel to this area quite often for business and usually stay at the Hampton Inn across the street. I decided to treat myself and try the Homewood Suites this time. As soon as I checked in and went to my room, I thought it was pretty nice. I was a bit surprised that the televisions are quite old, but happy that they had movie selections (the Hampton Inn does not). I was disappointed that there was no bathtub in my room, only a stand-up shower. I work long hours here and like to take a hot bath after a long workday. The thing that really floored me though was that there is NO wireless internet! I was really shocked honestly. Every hotel should have wireless these days. Their own website says that this hotel has wireless! So, it was false advertising! I thought maybe I had misread, when I booked this hotel from home so I logged onto their website (through the hard wire connection) and read it again - the website says they DO have wireless! I called the front desk and was informed that this hotel does not have wireless. Even the Hampton Inn across the street, which I pay about $40 less per night has wireless. I think I'll go back to the Hampton Inn on my next trip back to Richmond.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Danny_Dos_Santos, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We here at the Homewood Suites Chester strive for excellence and want to make sure that every guest has a satisfying and enjoyable stay.

Wireless internet is provided in all major public areas (lobby, meetings, etc) but as of now all our rooms are wired. In 2011 we will be bringing a major change; wireless will be installed throughout the hotel and we will be getting upgraded TVs as well. I apologize for any inconveniences that this may have brought upon you and would like to extend my service to making sure we make this right.
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

I traveled with two other ladies with four additional colleagues from other states. All complained each of the four days about little or no airconditioning with two people making three room moves to no avail. Would never use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JoeBeard, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
We here at Homewood Suites Chester are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenities you deserve. As the outside temperatures continue to rise the some of our AC units were failing or not cooling enough. We have since repaired the broken units and assure you that the rooms are at a comfortable temperature now. We try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.
MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

I used to frequent this hotel regularly 3 years ago. At that time the rooms were beginning to get worn. Broken arms on chairs, Linens not the best. Flash forward to my 3 day stay. The carpet was brand new, along with beautiful sheets, fluffy pillows an new bedcovers and towels. What a pleasant surprise. I used to know the desk clerks by name, but the one that welcomed me the first day I didn't. It was so nice to see one of the staff that I was used to when I checked out this morning. It must be a good place if they can keep their staff for 3 years. My only negative comment is that it is time that they put money into updating their work out equipment. That would be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business