“Great for a quick stop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montville, New Jersey
“Great for a quick stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stopped overnight on our way to florida. Easy off 95 or 295. Great price. The employee who checked us in the evening was awesome. The place had a cool modern decor. The rooms are big. Bed was comfortable. Tv was huge! Only down side wa the A/C was so noisy we couldn't hear the TV. In the morning the girl at the desk seemed more interested in her cell phone and cigarette break, than making sure the breakfast was tended to. The coffee was cold; the hot skillets were cold. Disappointing. Still, overall a good deal.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear valued guest:

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 804-530-4600.

Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester GM
Terry Ford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Albany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We travel lots by car and stay loyal to the Hyatt family of hotels. We picked this Hyatt Place for a 1 night overnight stay while traveling I95 to Florida as it is convenient on/off and there are also restaurants very close by. Pros: cost, location, and comfy bed for a good nights rest. Cons: the sofa was badly stained and had an odor of urine. Also, the remote didn't work well. Hyatt Place has complimentary breakfast until 9:30am and now includes some hot items which are ok. Service: Our check-in and check out was very quick and both of the front desk staff were very friendly and knowledgable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete our a survey. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 804-530-4600

Dearborn, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Am currently staying here and I am delighted! Got a good bargain online via the no-bid secret deal and was thrilled to get a Hyatt Place for a very low price. The rooms are all mini-suites with huge flat screen TVs, work desks, large L-shaped sofas and expensive toiletries. The furniture is sleek and modern, with plenty of wood and mirrors. There is a soothing, Asian feel to the decor. The staff is warm and eager to provide good service. Continental breakfast is included, which I never find in an upscale hotel. Chester is a pleasant suburb about 10 miles south of Richmond, close to Petersburg and City Point for the Civil War buffs out there. If you are travelling with children this would be a good choice, since there is space to spread out in the room and 2 kids could easily sleep on the L-shaped sofa, plus 2 more in one of the beds. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cacmsu
, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond/Chester, responded to this review, February 26, 2013

Wimauma, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I had a great stay at the Hyatt Place in Chester, VA. The room was huge, with a super large sofa, king bed, work desk, and what seemed to be a 60" flat screen TV. The room came with full breakfast. The hotel in general, but our room in particular, was exceptionally clean. Also, Marcel at the front desk was extremely accommodating to our unique request and needs. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was in the middle of a long road trip when staying here, and I really needed to relax. I definitely chose the wrong hotel. I had some food and drinks at the bar. When the server gave me the bill, I was charged for 27 beers (I only had 5)! When I pointed out the error, the server could not figure out how to fix it. He asked 2 other associates, and none of them could figure it out. They promised me that when I checked out in the morning, it would be fixed. When I checked out in the morning, it wasn't. The desk clerk couldn't fix it either. Errors do occur (in fact, once a Hyatt had missed charging me for something, and I pointed that out), and Hyatt staff have always been able to quickly fix them. So, I don't know why 4 associates couldn't. I was told the Assistant Manager would fix it and call me. When she called me, she told me she had seen the 27 beer charge prior to my checkout and figured it was an error. Why didn't she fix it then?

It gets worse. Someone from the hotel removed ALL my Hyatt points after adjusting my bill, including the ones for my actual bar tab. I had to call Hyatt customer service. They were excellent as always, and fixed the issue in 2 minutes. I don't understand why Hyatt customer service could fix this in 2 minutes, yet the hotel's entire staff could not at all. When I informed the property manager, Terry Ford, he sent me a terse and rude email speaking negatively of Hyatt customer service, the only people who had made me happy. He promised to add 2,000 points to my Hyatt account, but never did. I am now again speaking with Hyatt customer service, as they are the only ones who are courteous and professional in resolving the issue.

Room Tip: Check your bill carefully.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Steve L
Raleigh, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is well built to usual Hyatt Place standards but seems to have a number of problems.
I have stayed there several times and on the latest stay had a number of problems which seems to indicate poor management -- the AC did not work, my wife got bitten all over her back by insects when in bed and the breakfast was awful:
After an hour in bed by wife had to get up as her back was covered by insect bites. They did check the bed and we assume it was an mosquito..but in November...??
The AC would not cool the room properly and we had a very warm night in a stuffy room.
Then the much heralded and usually very good review was awful. The hot food was stone cold as it was on a hot plate that the stay had not bothered to turn on and the freshly baked pastries were nowhere to be seen. Perhaps the fact that the three staff stood around the reception area and talked about basketball in very loud voices -- oblivious to the existence of guests had something to do with the awful breakfast. This was shocking for a supposedly good hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank neilmj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

The lobby is very dark, has loud music blaring and a strange smell (I think the smell is some kind of air freshener piped through the vents). The breakfast area was way too small to accommodate diners, so people were standing and eating everywhere. The fruit they had out was rotten and the selection of everything else was poor. My room was a nice size, but very dirty and had an old, dingy toilet/shower area. I found pubic hairs on the towels hanging in front of the sink. I had a nice large tv, but it emitted a loud, high pitched noise. It was one of the noisiest hotels I've ever stayed at. The air conditioner/heater was incredibly loud and I constantly heard people coming in and out of their rooms at all hours...no sound proofing on the doors at all! I liked the full length mirrored closet door in the room...that's about it!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business