“The BEST”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I travel all across the country for my job, and I get the pleasure of staying at this hotel alot. I've stayed in more hotels than I can count on my fingers and toes, and this one get's 5 stars. I work odd hours, so the 24/7 snacks in the lobby come in handy, clean, very friendly staff who always remember my name. Great place!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 19, 2009

This is the first time I have ever been disappointed by letting good TripAdvisor reviews overrule recommendations from a local contact. Here, the reviews were universally good, so I ignored the advice of locals who recommended I stay elsewhere. Bad idea.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a terrible hotel. It is a little worn out for a Comfort Inn. It is okay, but not even close to being good. We were here on business for four nights. Good price, but that is about where anything I have to say that is complimentary about this place ends. Oh, almost forgot, the fitness room and business center are both nicely furnished.

Check in was not good. Rooms not ready when we arrived, even though we did not arrive early. Unfortunately, we decided to forego the king beds we had reserved for two doubles so that we did not have to hang around for an uncertain amount of time while they worked on their housekeeping. The doubles were uncomfortable, perhaps the kings would have been better? Non-smoking rooms on a smoking floor, and the very strong stale smoke odor permeates everything.

Inside, furniture showed signs of hard use. Bathroom was not great. Bathtub and shower were okay, but we only had intermittent hot water at the sink. Microwave and refrigerator both worked well. Closet was adequate.

Every other reviewer has raved about the breakfast and the nice breakfast lady. Something must have happened here. Breakfast variety was poor. Yes, the waffles are nice, but you cannot eat waffles everyday. Besides, I made the mistake of using the waffle iron myself because the breakfast lady was busy elsewhere. I got chewed out. You would have thought that I had told her that her grandchildren were ugly. Other early morning patrons were chucking with me about it because she was so obviously ticked I would dare to use her appliance.

So, good price. Poor service at the front desk. Not much good in the facilities and furnishings. Big draw for others had been the breakfast, and that seems to have gone down hill. The Mexican restaurant just a few steps away at one end of the property is a bright spot, though. Our dinner there the first night was pretty good.

We will be back in the area for another extended trip later in the year. We will be trying someplace recommended by our local contacts - perhaps the Hampton Inn right behind the Comfort Inn or one of the three newer properties across W. Hundred Rd. so that we can still take advantage of that nice restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Travelling up the I 95 we wanted somewhere to stay the night before we got to Richmond. This motel was in one of the travel hotel booklets picked up at the Virginia Welcome Centre, very nice greeting, receptionist happy to take the voucher and gave us a room we wanted with a view towards the countryside, Room comfortable and clean. Nice breakfast, the little coloured lady who was quite a character, had been here for 14 years was very good she kept the breakfast bar stocked in spite of there being a load of people from two coaches being there. She even cooked me a waffle as I was unfamiliar with what to do.

Would I stay here again, yes, several restaurants just down the road as well as a shopping centre that gave us somewhere to visit in the evening. Easy to get back onto the Interstate.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The Comfort Inn in Chester, Va. was one of the cleanest hotels we have ever stayed in. We booked 4 rooms for family and everything was great. Brendon and Lee at the front desk were fabulous and always asking if they could help. Service is top-knotch at this establishment. The breakfast was great and the breakfast lady was bright and cheerful and the waffles were delicious. My parents even stayed here on their way back while the rest of us had to continue home. Delicious cookies and coffee are available all day. The price is very reasonable with discount plans such as AAA. This hotel is a gem and we would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We stopped here on the way down south and were so glad we did! The staff was exceptionally polite and friendly, and the hotel itself was very clean. I was very pleased with our stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2008

This is the second time we've stayed here and we have been totally satisfied both times. The check in was fast and friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable!! the breakfast lady is awesome. It is located near many attractions and restaurants as well. Definitely worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I was in a handicapped room, which was fine. It was bigger and had a shand up shower with a hose shower head. The room was clean and comfortable and I felt comfortable walking around in bare feet...except that the bathroom floor was a little sticky, so I wore shoes in there. No visible dirt or grime in the whole place. Microwave, mini fridge, safe, tv, and air conditioner worked fine. Bed comfy, alarm clock worked, and curtains closed fine. Breakfast was clean and big enough with a lovely lady servicing it. Flat screen TVs. Nice exercise room and computer room. The internet worked fine for me on my PC. Luggage carts were accessible and front desk staff were very helpful. Parking was limited near the front door, which made me a little nervous traveling alone and arriving back to the hotel at night. Lots of businesses and restuarants really close and the main highway was right there.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business