“Paper-Thin Walls and Floors, not very clean”

Fairfield Inn Richmond Chester
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stopped off I-95 for one night - 2 kids, 2 adults just to sleep and get up very early. We called Marriott's 800 number to find locations off I-95 before so we knew they had rooms. The woman at check-in was very friendly and pleasant which I appreciated since I was very tired.

The room is not anything great, which is what we expected. It still cost over $130 a night though. I immediately took a shower and the tub plate fell off so I could see the mildew. It was nasty. The tub is plastic - not something to bathe in. The sink was slow to drain which is always gross too after brushing your teeth.

Our big problem was we checked in at 9:45 at night after driving all day and we were not in the room 20 minutes when the Manager showed up saying guests below us said we were making too much noise. We were simply moving around the room. Granted, our 3-year-old was running around but he weights 30 lbs. Our 10-year-old was on the computer and my husband and I were showering, etc. We could hear the people above us too but I didn't complain because it was still early. I told them it was early and we'd be going to bed shortly and there was nothing we could do about the floors and carpet being thin. We got a call not 15 minutes later about the noise. My only point is if you're sensitive to noise, don't stay in a 2-star hotel. We basically had to go to bed before we were ready in fear of being harrassed.

The beds were fine, TV had a blurry picture (old tube type), wireless worked. The room needed a good cleaning. It wasn't nasty dirty but needed a good spring cleaning but it is an Interstate hotel. We were gone before the free continental bfast in the morning and didn't use the indoor pool which looked fine.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Melwyjak

Reviewed July 8, 2008

We were traveling from Florida to New York on a family emergency. When we got to the hotel the employees were VERY welcoming and helpful when we checked in. We were tired, my husband is a diabetic and requires certain foods. The young lady at the desk was kind enough to go to a local restaurant and bring dinner up to our room. The room was clean and the continental breakfast was more than we expected. I needed directions the following morning, the hotel manager helped me with the computer in the lobby. Im telling you if you need a home away from home to spend the night this hotel is the place. We will stay there on our way back home.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed April 26, 2008

Do not hesitate to stay her. This hotel is definently typical Marriott standard. Clean room, refreshing indoor pool, free hot breakfast, and fluffy soft pillows.

This property is located near plenty of dining options. You have Cracker Barrell, and Denny's in the same parking lot area. Across the street is a Hooters. Then you have Uno's, Applebees, Chili's, O'charleys, Ihop, Shoneys, and others within walking distance.

The free breakfast was on point. Cereals, hot waffles, hot breakfast sandwiches, breads, juices, and more. Free wi-fi in all rooms, and a computer in the lobby for public use.

You will not be disappointed staying here.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bignar
Reviewed March 29, 2006

We stayed here one night on the way down to Florida. The room was neat and clean, and the pillows were some of the most comfortable I have found in a hotel (may not seem like a big deal, but it is when you've been on the road for 12 hours). I was honestly surprised at how comfortable/clean it was. A good deal for the price if you are spending one night (or two) when passing through.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank Bellefior
PETERSBURG, VIRGINIA
Reviewed August 25, 2005

I arrived at the Chester Fairfield Inn on August 20, 2005 and Departed on August 20, 2005. I had sudden death in my family.

My receipt reflects a balance of 94.92
My credit card charged 189.84, they quoted that amount from Fairfield.

Fairfield receipt Folio# PI-47970
Reference Number RB424 = 84.00
T2424 = 4.20
T1424 = 6.72
Altho I am disappointed with the overcharge, I am pleased with the following: The single room with a king size bed was clean, neat and comfortable. The staff of Fairfield during check-in and check-out was friendly, courteous yet professional. I explained to them that I had to leave suddenly(after 4 hours) due to death in my family. They even expressed sympathy altho they were busy. I am disappointed that I did not get an opportunity to enjoy the delicious sounding breakfast, the comfortable looking king size bed or the pay per view movies. I will probably visit again but this time I will pay cash. Thank you for hiring kind employees.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed July 8, 2004

Comfortable and not too fancy. Free continental breakfast was a nice touch but again, nothing fancy. Room was clean, TV adequate, lobby was small but who spends time in a lobby? Interesting that the ceilings were 9 ft high. Next door was the Cracker Barrel and that was fun to browse through. This hotel is like comfort food...satisfying without being too pretentious.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2003

We were very satisfied with this hotel. Right off the 95 and right beside a Denny's. Great if you're driving through and looking for a place to eat and sleep. We're 4 people so the queen sized beds were a real plus!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member