“So incredibly gross. Don't do it. There are much better hotels across the street.”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I came here with a big group of colleagues, so we all had plenty of horror stories to share about the rooms. The biggest thing you should know is that there is absolutely a roach infestation. The other reviewers are not lying about this! One of my colleagues found a giant roach upon first entering his room. Another colleague saw multiple roaches scatter when he turned on his lights. And if you don't have the pleasure of seeing a roach in your room, just look for all the dead ones in the hallways and stairwells. This hotel is extremely dirty. There were big stains on my floor, ceilings, and walls. My colleague found a big collection of nail clippings on the carpet. The maintenance staff came and picked them up by hand, which makes me think they may not even have any working vacuums. There are strange noises in the room - I'm not sure if it's bugs or what, but I had a very hard time falling asleep. There are some hotels literally right across the street. Just go stay in one of those, because in no way is this place worth saving the $5 or $10 a night, unless you are not bothered by bugs or filth.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ginacarin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed here on the Government's dime. I was attending a two week course at nearby Ft. Lee. My first night as I sat in my rickety chair to use the computer, I noticed something dark under the bed that was about 1" long. Further investigation indicated that it was a dead Cockroach, prompting me to buy slippers (which I've never worn in a hotel). Thinking that it had just died and looking for a fight, I decided to leave it there to see how long it took for housekeeping to get it. Two days later, before I left for class, I kicked it out from under the bed because I was tired of looking at it. I later spoke with some of my classmates who also found dead roaches.
I was also shocked that in my two weeks there, the only hot showers I enjoyed were the ones I took immediately upon retuning from class or right before bed. A hot shower in the morning just wasn't going to happen. I've never been in a hotel that ran out of cold water. In all fairness though, the desk clerk was more than happy to move me to a different room (which I'm not sure would have helped), but I chose to stay where I was rather than repacking all my stuff.
My last complaint was their business center. It consists of two computers and a printer. I went to print handouts for my class and found that one of the computers had some type of error message that prevented me from doing anything and the other wouldn't print. The desk clerk informed me that he cold print for me at $1.00 (yes I said one dollar) per page. Thankfully, he didn't charge me for my 4 page document.
One thing I do have to say though, they did take great care of us. I don't know if they do this for all the guests, but every night a clerk delivered milk and cookies to our rooms. Additionally, this was the first time I can remember the front desk clerk calling me on several occasions to ensure that all was well.
The bed was comfortable and conveniently located. If I ever have to return, I hope that I get to stay in a different hotel.

• Liked — Customer service
  • Disliked — Maintenence
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Chester hotels

Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2008

The Army contracts with this hotel for a rate of 80+ a night. We had over 80 rooms booked for 2 weeks. You would think with that kind of money comming in they would take care of thier hotel.

There were multiple problems with rooms and the hotel itself including but not limited to:
- bed bugs in about 4 rooms
- a mouse or 2 that seems comes over from Hooters next door
- the maids have stolen money, personal soap, personal towels, a cell phone charger, ect... from soldiers
- some room doors didn't lock
- the air conditioning did not work for days in rooms because of power issues, and other rooms just didn't have functional air conditioners
- the outside back doors to enter the hotel didn't always lock
- the hotel had roaches
- and they are way over staffed and house keeping doesn't speek English

I am writing this because it seems unfair to have a good review and for people to expect something out of this place.

Also I would like to add who would ever treat soldiers in such a disrespectfull way when they are getting paid pleanty of money to upkeep this hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — i hated my stay
  • Stayed July 2008
Rochester, NY
Reviewed April 13, 2007

We were driving home from Florida and found this in the guide book. Stopped in and were given a price of $71.00 since the guide book rooms were gone. AAA gave this a 3 star so we thought it couldn't be that bad. They really need to review this property again. We stayed only one night so it was ok since we were tired and it was already after 8:00 pm. The room carpet was spotted, the tables had ring marks, and the walls and ceiling definitely needed updating. The beds were fine. We check these very carefully after we just found bugs in a bed in a Hampton in Orlando. We left at about 7:00 am. Breakfast was bare bones - the coffee was like mud. However the kids liked the powdered mini donughts. Don't expect much at all. This hotel needs major renovation. We would not have stayed if were not just passing through.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank tim90
syracuse, NY
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We stayed at the Clarion for one night traveling from Florida to Upstate New York. The hotel itself was not bad. The room was fairly clean and large. The noise began at about 4:00am in the hallway. People were talking like it was the middle of the afternoon. If you plan on getting sleep while traveling, this is not the hotel to stay in!!! I was very upset with the slamming of the doors and the very rude people. Even hotel staff was in the hallway around 5:00am on portable radios. Please consider another hotel if sleep is what you want!!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynn01
new haven, ct
Reviewed November 30, 2006

it was a dark and stormy night etc etc...the bed was so comfortable i wanted to stay another night or two. Buffett breakfast had no complaints from me. Coffee good, egg and bacon with toasted bagle was fine. Overall I give it a 4 star rating.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank larry175
New York
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Clarion at Chester, Virginia
Date of stay - October 7, 2006

At this hotel, we were very disappointed. We perceived this hotel to be a good value based on its name recognition. This is a large facility and the upkeep or lack of proper maintenance is evident once one leaves the lobby. Because of the rainy night and poor weather conditions, we lowered our standards and stayed. For the price we paid, over $100 for the night, we expected better. Unfortunately, we experienced the following problems.

- Upon entering the rear door to access our room, the door was found unlatched which compromises the security of the facility and its occupants. The door itself needs to be repaired.
- The hall way and stairs did not have a fresh smell. Rather, a slight musty odor prevailed.
- The room itself did not have a fresh smell and also had a slight musty odor.
- Even though we requested a non-smoking room, one bed of our 2 bed room had significant smoke smell on the pillows and sheets once the spread was turned back. Were the sheets actually changed?
- Lighting in the room was very dull with poor placement of lighting.
- In the morning, the hard wired smoke detector went off for no apparent reason. We were advised that the battery needed to be changed.

Because the Fairfield Inn had no vacancy, we expected to receive a comparable value at this Clarion. What a BIG mistake that was!

Stayed October 2006