“Worst than bad!”

Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Camden, South Carolina, United States
“Worst than bad!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Worst hotel experience ever. Myself along with my wife and two children, checked in at 4:00 pm. Close to midnight the desk clerk attempted to enter our room unannounced with a master key. When I confronted him, He claimed he was checking to see if anyone was in the room. We had the morning clerk “who was very professional” to call general manager Peter at home to convey our problem; he stated he was on the way.
Peter finally arrived three hours later than his normal time. He stated he had checked in to it and the clerk came into our room because our credit card was denied and we would need to pay cash. We explained there was no reason for our credit card to be denied and ask if we could call our bank to find out the problem. Peter became very irate and stated at this point he could only accept cash and if we were afraid of the clerk entering our room we should have called the police!
The receipt for our cash payment only read the word cash and the amount, not our name, the hotel name or what we were paying for. We became suspicious and called our credit card company any way only to find out our credit card had not been denied! Hopefully the Candlewood Suites Company or the police will help with this awful situation.
Other than the night clerk scaring my family so bad it spoiled our entire vacation and the GM who condone and participated in this behavior. Our only other complaint was our non-smoking room reeked with cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: Use your safety latch and double check your credit card charges.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Troy W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Chesapeake/Suffolk, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Troy W,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Chesapeake.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great rooms,clean rooms. The staff was very helpful.
I must have arrived on a bad day. There seemed to be a lot of drama and police having something to do with one of the guests.It made me wonder about the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank unred
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you are looking for a decent suites, with stove, microwave, refrigerator, free laundry machines, complimentary coffee, good staff, I would recommend you to go for it.
They have a free parking lot and decently cleaned lobby.
You will definitely like the stay out there in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jigar V
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Based on other stays in extended stay type hotels, I would rate this hotel above average. The room and kitchenette were well laid out and very spacious. The bed was comfortable. This was a convenient location to get to the Peninsula and Southside . The hotel staff and manager were very helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank septmorn
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I got a room at a good price through Priceline, but had to request a non-smoking, which was not a problem once I spoke to Peter. He took care of the matter quickly. When we entered the room, I was surprised that the room smelled so good. Then I did the bathroom check.....it was great! It smelled nicely, the toilet was clean and the tub was clean (no rust or stains and there was excellent water presser, no clog in the tub either). On top of that the room had a small kitchen with a stove, dishwasher, sink w/garbage disposal, and refrigerator...and also plates, cups, pots, pans, utensils.

When I checked In, I was advised that they don’t clean the rooms on a daily basis because it is an extended stay hotel. The clerk let me know that if I needed new towels, all I had to do was come to the front counter to exchange them….and that’s what I did.

The only complaint that I would have is that we were on the 1st floor and there was a lot of noise above us. I initially thought “maybe the gym is right above us”, but that wasn’t the case, because the gym is on the first floor. So, I don’t know what the noise was about, but it didn’t ruin my stay. Oh, the color on the TV was messed up too, but that also was no big deal for me.

There is no restaurant in this hotel, but Waffle House, 7-11, and Cracker Barrel are in walking distance and the mall and movie theater are just a short drive away. Also, there is no pool.

The staff was plesant, the room was clean, the bathroom was very clean, and the kitchen was great. In the end, I enjoyed my stay and will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family and I moved to this hotel after leaving another one that was close by becuase of bad service. We were very happy with the service at this hotel.Everybody was friendly and hospitable and the front desk guy gave us free snacks from the pantry because both luggage carts were in use when we were checking out. I highly recomend this hotel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mvpw
Maryland
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I were looking for an inexpensive hotel for our weekend trip to VA Beach last Friday and found this hotel on Hotwire. For $59/night, it was just what we were looking for. The cherry smell when you enter the hotel was very inviting and the front desk person was very friendly. We booked the one bedroom studio which was the perfect size for the two of us and included a kitchen area. The bathroom was a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. Just a short drive away there was a mall, tons of restaurant options and good old Super Walmart!! The only complaint I have is that the cable reception was kind of fuzzy but nothing major where it took away from the TV program. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay in another Candlewood Suites property again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple