“Amazing Staff and Large Rooms!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I brought my family on a last minute vacation and stayed at the Homewood Suites. I didn't know anything about Homewood Suites and as I entered I was greeted by a warm smile and How am I able to assist you? DeAnna showed me the different room types that were available and explained all of their amenities. The phone was ringing off the hook but she took her time with me and apologized everytime she answered the phone - very professional. Since it was my first time at Homewood Suites I didn't know that after you check in they call to see if everything in your room is up to your standards. What a nice touch - shame on people who are not honest with the hotel as they call and check up on you even after you have paid for the room. I had mentioned something about the beach and how far is it and within 15 minutes a women named Lilik delivered a bunch of brochures and explained a beach shuttle that they offer so you don't have to drive to the beach. I now understand why everyone says "Make yourself at Home" because it si better than home - their staff listens, offers help and tries to exceed your expectations something I hope my children saw from thsi experience. We will be back and this next trip I will plan in advance and stay with the Homewood Suites. Also if you ask to speak with the Manager on a Sunday guess what the GM was on property and willing to talk with you she even gave us her card to call if we have any problems booking our next trip.

Room Tip: Ask about the differences in the suites so they c.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Swoods2, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Thank you for commenting on your stay with us! We are always thrilled to receive comments like yours. We know there are several choices when it comes to hotels in this area, so we appreciate you selecting Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake/Greenbrier as your "home away from home"! We look forward to seeing you in the future! Thank you again!

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I am a frequent traveler and will now stay at this hotel 3 times a month. I used to stay at a surrounding hotel but they overbooked and kicked me to the curb so I had to find another hotel for my stay luckily for me I chose the Homewood Suites. From the moment I checked in I was greeted with a smile and listened to as I explained my situation. I was given a top notch service. The front desk girl (marilyn) sent bottled water and cookies to my room for what the other hotel did to me. I couldn't believe that she took the time to make sure that I was ok I mean she didn't even know me. Slept peacefully and decided to go to breakfast (which is included) and was greeted by Lynn who is a very happy and accommodating cook. I just wanted to recognize some of the fantastic employees that work at this hotel. Can't wait to come back see you soon!

Room Tip: Talk with the front desk agents they are trained
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We apprecaite your kindness and look forward to your future stays with us.

Reviewed May 1, 2011

I like Homewood suites a lot, so many of them are ideal for my preferences (eating in, quiet and clean).
I gave 4/5 solely because of the smell. When I entered my room (only disabled access rooms were available for my late booking) I was hit with the pungent smell of deodorizer, which was sickly sweet smelling like cheap perfume.

The bathroom had a detectable smell of urine around the toilet area. I think it just needed a good bleach/disinfecting to sort that right out.
Other than that, the hotel was great, convenient enough location by the highway and mall and unlike a lot of homewood suites, they do not accommodate pets (good!)
I only ate one evening, but the pulled pork sandwiches and lemonade that I had were surprisingly good!
I wish I'd asked what product the lemonade was.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2010

This was the first time we stayed at a Homewood Suites, and we will definitely stay at more of them, if they are like the one in Chesapeake, VA. Usually, we are traveling with our 2 young boys, but even with the two of us, it was great to have two rooms to "live" in for the weekend. Made our unfortunate trip of attending a family funeral more comfortable, and more like home. The breakfast was great, but make sure to get their early to beat the crowd. It was also nice to be close to many restaurants, shops, and even the local mall! Next time, we stay we hope it is for a better occasion!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2010

As a frequent traveler (I spend over 100 nights per year in a hotel), I completely understand that things go wrong. However, the staff and management's reaction to these things, is more important to me than the actual things going wrong. During my ONE night stay, I encountered the following issues:

* A used washcloth from the previous guest was left on the shower rod
* Internet was so slow, it reminded me of the dial-up days
* The clock by the bedside was completely broken
* The garbage disposal was broken
* One lamp by the couch did not work (could have been just a bulb)
* The guest services directory in the room was used by a child for some sort of art project

When the front desk girl (who was actually very sweet) called me about an hour after check-in, I told her about the washcloth and internet. She very nicely told me she was sorry, and that the internet has been an issue and should be fixed by the end of the year. That doesn't exactly do me (or any other guests in house) any good now, does it? She made no attempt to make me happy, or simply even ask if there was anything she could do.

Upon checkout, I told the front desk person the same list of complaints above, and AGAIN...was just told "I'm sorry", and he made no attempt to do anything. I know you cannot fix the issues yourself, but how about making some attempt to show me you value your guests? Maybe offer some Hilton Honors points...a free drink from the little market...even a tiny discount off the bill? Anything - even just asking if there is something that could have been done would have been appreciated. I truly felt like a number here, not a valued guest at a hospitality-driven business.

I have stayed at several Homewood Suites over the last few years, and I can pretty much say, the customer service at this hotel leaves significant room for improvement.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank JBL99
Swoods2, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chesapeake-Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

I am disappointed our hotel was not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. We understand business travel is very important, therefore we try very hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We will keep your feedback in mind and I will be reaching out to you, in order to make this right.

Reviewed May 23, 2010

We checked in for a 3-4 week stay on business (it says Leisure here at TA, but I travel with my husband when he goes on business trips, so for ME it's leisure, for HIM it's business), but this is a great place for travelers too. Overall it was a great experience with only a few annoyances. If you've read some of my reviews, you'll see how much I loved this one.

The following lists are in no particular order, except where noted.

What we loved
# The service is fantastic! Housekeeping does an excellent job; when we reported that our faucet was leaking, it was fixed immediately; the food is always hot (Henry, the weekday morning chef, is amazing); the front desk is very helpful and on top of everything; overall it is just very impressive. I have absolutely zero complaints about the service. Well done!
# Free hot breakfast 7 days per week from 6a-9a M-F and 7a-10a Sa, Sun.
# Free hot dinner M-Th 5p-7p. No dinners F-Su. Tip: If they do not set something out that you want (such as milk or butter/margarine, etc.) you can ask for it and they will give it to you.
# Rooms have a regular 4 c. coffee pot. I love this because I am picky about my coffee. No really, I am. I prefer to make my own and it's a relief that it's not a special coffee pot. I don't have to have coffee pods, cone shaped filters, etc. Just a plain 4 c. filter and to be completely honest, I tried using my Walmart generic 12 c. filter and to my delight, it fit down in there just perfectly. Yay me!
# There is a military exchange (AAFES/PX/BX/NEX/CGX and whatever else your branch calls it) right behind us! If you hold a military ID card, you're in luck. What a nice surprise that was. It just opened in October '09, they said.
# There is a computer room with a copier/printer. Use of the printer is free; there is no paying for paper or anything.

What we liked
# Spacious room
# Comfy bed
# Lots of extra blankets and pillows.
# 2 burner stove (but NO oven).
# Full size 1000 watt microwave.
# Full size refrigerator (but NO ice maker, nor trays)
# High speed wireless internet with ethernet port as well (see Annoyances too).
# They'll do same day grocery shopping (if turned in before 9a) free of charge, however they go to Harris Teeter which is a little pricey.

Annoyances (in no particular order, except the for the first three)
# The building is badly designed without regard to luggage toting travelers. For example there are only two elevators in the entire building; that's not the bad part though. The front elevator is conveniently located near two entrances, this is great if your room is near that end of the building. However if you are unlucky enough to have a room on the other side of the building, the second (and the only other) elevator/stairs are not located near any entrance whatsoever meaning that the back or side entrance is not close at all. If your room is say, 213, then you use your key card to enter the side of the building, turn left and walk all the way down the hall. The elevator is on the right (stairs to the left) so get on, go up one floor and when you get off turn left and go all the way down the hall again (in the same direction you just came) to get to your room. It doesn't make any sense. The elevator/stairs should be located next to the entrance or at the very least, closer. Try this with several bags of luggage, plus groceries.
# The same problem is found on the dining patio. There are doors that directly open to the patio, but you cannot go back in. There is absolutely no key card entry to the patio doors. Instead you must exit the patio to the left and walk all the way around to the right, to the other side, where the back key card entrance is. This forces you to actually walk in the parking lot. There is not even a sidewalk there for you.
# There are NO tubs in most rooms, only shower stalls. We were told that only four rooms have tubs, all four of which are either smoking rooms or handicapped rooms. None of the others have tubs. This is a serious annoyance when attempting to shave your legs, see next.
# There is no place to set shampoo or other shower needs inside the shower stall. There are only two very small soap holders that are too small to even hold a razor. In fact as a woman, there is no place to rest my foot when shaving my legs. UGH! I practically have to do a touch-your-toes maneuver when shaving and not everyone can do this, to include myself. Obviously a man designed this one, no offense to the gents out there of course. ;) I fixed the problem by setting my old hard cooler upside in the shower. There is no way I could have done it any other way.
# There is not much clothing storage in the rooms. There is only a small piece of furniture, that I cannot even refer to as a chest of drawers, much less a dresser. It's less than half the size of either.
# The front desk is at one end of the building, not centered.
# There are only two luggage trolleys for the entire building and this is a five floor hotel with a lot of rooms. We had to wait for quite sometime in order to get one.
# They only sell Pepsi products, blasphemy for real southerners.
# Most evenings the wireless drops to a crawl and is definitely NOT hi-speed.

Other notes of interest
# Check in is at 3p and checkout is at noon.
# USA Today is delivered to each room M-F, but not the local paper. That one is available for free in the dining room.
# Has on site laundry with two washers and two dryers: $1.50 to wash, $1.00 to dry.
# Pepsi machine has drinks for $1.25.
# Sheets are changed twice per week. Our room schedule was Mondays and Thursdays.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank magnoliasouth
Reviewed April 6, 2010

It is so nice to have a REAL suite, where a door can be closed so the kids can stay up and watch tv without bothering the parents. This hotel is close to everthing...short walk to shopping and restaurants. The breakfast was ok, but for the value, this hotel can't be beat. Snacks at the hotel were inexpensive, which is a refreshing change from other hotels. I wish there were an indoor pool and that pets were allowed, though.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family