“Fantastic hotel and staff”

Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier
Ranked #12 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We were sent to the Residence Inn by our insurance co. due to a problem in our home. We were there for over 7 weeks. Staff was great, We were greeted by Ashley or Marcus everyday as we went out for our daily walk. Met the Maintenance man and he thanked us for choosing Marriott. Tonya in housekeeping was super, helped with supplies when we needed or forgot from home. Hot tub was immaculate thanks to Javonne. Food was cooked and supplied by Toya and Torry. Room was spacious and clean. Lovely fireplace in the lobby. Finally, the GM, Ms. Hunt walked the hotel greeting guests and checking to see if we needed anything. We only live 6 miles from hotel but would gladly go back, if even for a short stay.

Room Tip: Nothing could have made this any better. We were treated like family.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Penny H, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hello Maureen and Family,

The Residence Inn team was so pleased to hear from you and we hope that everything is going well back at home. We can't tell you how much we appreciated your compliments and we were thrilled to know that you had such a wonderful stay. As you said in your message, you are our neighbor and we truly hope that you do not become a stranger.

Wishing everone the very best, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Everyone was nice, helpful and respectfull. One employee stood out the most.
Marcus Scott. Very professional, always remembered my name and always a smile.
Great Breakfast in the mornings and on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, they serve a
dinner at 6:00pm and not bad for free. While on travel, I spent very little per diem.
I will stay there each time I have to travel to that area. Good Job!!!

Room Tip: The room had a fireplace, which I enjoyed tremendously, a kitchen and living room. A home away from...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Hello and Greetings to our first time guest!

On behalf of the entire Residence Chesapeake Team, we would like to say THANK YOU for your very kind words and compliments. Our team strives hard to ensure that all our guest have a warm and genuine experience. I will be sure to tell Marcus that he left a lasting impression with you.

We appreicate your business and we look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The staff was exceptional. the only thing I did not like, they did not clean your room everyday.
breakfast was great. great location. I would definitely stay again. we had a suite with sofa bed, worked great for my kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa F
Penny H, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hello valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to give us feedback regarding at the Residence Inn Chesapeake. Your feedback so truly valuable and we make sure our entire team reviews this information so that they can continue to give customers like yourself the best experience possible. We are pleased you found the accomodations comfortable and relaxing.

Until next time, we look foward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We ended up staying at this hotel in Chesapeake - a sort of "poor man's" Virginia Beach location. We chose a two bedroom suite that comes with a full kitchen (full fridge; dishwasher; microwave; oven), two full baths, a living area and a four chair dining table. Each room had an LG HDTV (HDMI) in each room (3 in total).

This location has nine two bedroom suites - four located near the center (next to vending machines) and five each floor in the corners (ending in #7). Ours was on a higher floor in the corner.

(For the purpose of this review - when you walk into the two bedroom - the bedroom to the LEFT is Rm#1 and the far RIGHT is Rm#2)

* Two week stay
Excluding the internet, generally speaking the hotel was fine overall with little complaints generally. Hotel staff was pleasant and efficient enough. I never used the pool, the kids used the basketball court once and we played in the billiard room one evening. Off hours coffee in the kitchen area was sporadic - many times not hot and as a bonus someone didn't know how to make it so watch out for the occasional cup of grinds. The cleaning service was good - all were friendly. We tend to not get a regular cleaning daily but instead ask for what we needed and towels (I tend to go out asking for specific towels) and then went up to the appropriate member of the cleaning crew to request a full cleaning including new beds (had that twice over the two weeks). Though another review complained that on the higher floors you could hear the cycling of the HVAC system, there was none of that in our room. Water pressure was fine. The hotel is close to the highway (I-64) - but we never heard any cars from our room.

* Manager
I had spoken with the manager (Penny) of the hotel during the reservation phase. The website itself when I booked was lacking so I needed clarification and she provided me information when requesting specific rooms based on location and she was able to fulfill our request. Once we hit the hotel and I had major internet problems I emailed her and she responded that she would review but she never got back with any answers. Finally, during the two week stay - we never saw her. I never proactively asked for her to call us when she was in, OTOH, when reviewing with my wife - in the four years we stayed at the RI in NC, the manager was many times in his office - and we saw him either in the afternoon or after dinner - about 2/3rds of the time. At this location - with similar entry/exit patterns, not once did we see the manager in the office.

* Minor problems (not affecting the review but ...) in our room included:
- Rm#1 - sagging bed and broken sliding mirror (feature) along
- Rm#1 bathroom - though not broken, the ground was moving - either flooring or grout related; wife mentioned little to no hot water a few times but specifically the faucet has issues - difficult to regulate the water at times only degrees of very hot with little cold.
- Rm#1 bathroom sink - watch your toes - the tacks/nails to hold the carpet down can hurt
- Kitchen fridge/freezer had a bunch of indentations (feature). Kitchen equipment all updated stainless steel so I cannot understand why they are in such a state. Manager mentioned 2010 reno.

Lobby ...
- Evening meals provided M-W (other RI in NC served M-Th); I didn't notice any wine - but frankly didn't take part.
- Breakfast - plastic cutlery (other RI in NC used metal).
- Billiard room very nice and yet no whiteboard/chalkboard for scoring (odd).

* Major problems (excluding internet).
1) *UNSAFE* bathtubs. The bathtubs do not have any anti-skid protection. We found that the water was not "hard" like in some places - making soap on skin more difficult to remove. Once near the end of the trip I slipped suddenly and two of my toes went under the drain - and I received a bruise on my arm where I tried to halt the sliding and hit the wall; took a couple of weeks to heal. I advised the manager of the anti-skid issue very early on in the stay. Huge safety concern in our opinion - for all ages!

2) Poor HVAC Circulation (related to the premium two bedroom corner rooms I would think)
A few days into the stay Rm#2 appeared to be warmer than the living area and Rm#1. Attempts to balance this by keeping doors open and having a cooler temperature did nothing. There were no dampers at all. During the heat wave Rm#2 became unbearable at times and later during our stay I was able to solve the issues - how? Shhhh ... a secret! As per the pending internet discussion below, no one complained of this? Unreal!

** Internet Problems **
We are very tech device reliant - taking iPads/notebook and XBOX - helps keep the kids in line when we are trying to relax in the room. At this hotel from minute one we were hit with two separate internet problems.

First - our room specifically suffered from extremely poor WIFI strength. Walk outside the door and a few steps the signal improved a fair bit. On our first day I advised the staff (who seemed to know about "the corners") and I was connected with their internet provider who reset the APs (access points) - that appeared to help as we received a few bars now but still it was not 100%. To compound this issue - though they have wired RJ45 connectors, none of them connected to the net. The ISP stated that they probably were not wired. Good grief! What a wonderful bonus! As a bit of a joke - on my cell - the "Loft" the next door hotel actually popped up and the service (1 bar) at times was AS GOOD as the hotel I was sitting in.

Secondly - unlike all other hotels (and I mean *ALL*) where there typically is a 24hr lease that renews daily (or it is tripped automatically at noon), this hotel did not follow a 24hr period. Instead it literally randomly reset and forced you to "connect" to the service (AUP - agree to the acceptable use policy). So everything was working and then boom - everything was reset. Sometimes getting past the CONNECT was time consuming with numerous time outs - a few times it took 15m to get the net back. The kids - though they could use the iPads in Rm#2 (low signal) if the net tripped they had to come out of the room (slightly better signal) and then they were able to reconnect.

The XBOX - varied between working enough to not working at all. Originally in Rm#2 - I eventually moved it to the living area - for slightly better wireless signal. When playing games - the PING out of no where would go to 1 bar and then extreme lagging - then a moment later back up and everything was fine. Occasionally it would never recover and the entire box would freeze. This resulted in game banning. (I won't go into details but it is a chore to get the XBOX working since you cannot accept the AUP without being connected already - so you need to use the ALTERNATE MAC along with another device to accept). As the trip went on the XBOX was used primarily as a Netflix box only - ping rates were no longer a factor since the movie is buffered. But when the internet reset (as it did) out of no where the movie would be interrupted and you were signed out of XBOX Live. Then I would be forced to waste my time with the tedious process to sign in. A ROYAL PITA!!!!!

When I emailed the manager about this the only reply I got was that my complaint as the first she hear of the problems - except that the front desk knew of some of the issues. Yet nothing was done. Foolishly I had expected IT people would come to the hotel and perhaps look into the issues. Nope. Hopefully my poor experience will be a goal to be resolved. These comments hit the Marriott survey - when asked "Overall, how would you rate your SUITE at Chesapeake Greenbrier Residence Inn?", a third of the questions related to the internet quality -- and I marked all as POOR!

This hotel gave me a wake up call, however. One of my main bugaboos when getting a rental property was "what happens when the internet doesn't work? who do I report to?" Well I thought such issues would not have happened at a Marriott - but sadly they did. Some hotels get it - that the internet these days is AS IMPORTANT as cable, water and hydro. This hotel doesn't IMO and I do think to some degree management does know of the issues just based on the employee comments alone. Anyways, at least the Marriott people know my beefs with this place.

*** Recap ***
No interest in the internet? Fairly good location in Chesapeake close to I-64; friendly staff; great sleep. No serious complaints hotel wise other than the unsafe bathtubs which IMO should be reviewed (not talking a lot of $$ to solve). If Virginia Beach is your bag - you may want to ante up and stay shorter and closer - driving is a haul and rough on the car.

Need the internet and/or don't want to waste time with poor WIFI and connection issues - then AVOID! Yes our placement could have resulted in better signal quality but that would not have solved the random resets. Note to reader - make sure other reviews after this not only advise of rock solid performance but provide room details so you can stay there and please post an update!

Service rating = quality of internet and ineffective management to resolve

Room Tip: Stay away from the corners if you want a shot at better internet. Bring your cell and tether device...
1  Thank Jeffrey H
Penny H, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Let me begin by thanking you for your feedback, it is only through our information such as yours that we can better understand our operation as we strive to give our customers the best experience possible.

I was very disappointed and additionally surprised to see your comments regardiing the lack of bandwidith that you received during your stay. I enjoyed speaking to you prior to your arrival and sending you various pieces of information to help you get the right type of room and a good feel for our facility. Once you arrived we spoke about the challenges that your were having with your internet connections. As you know internet bandwidth can be very tricky and it depends greatly on the amount of users at anytime that are utilizing the network. During your stay you highlighted a signaficant challenge that our IT department was actively trying to sort out due to the multiple users within one unit.

I truly apologgize for the inconvenience that you encountered. I thank you for your feedback and due to your comments we are actively working to find a remedy to this challenge in the future.

Thank you again for staying with us. We truly value your business and your loyalty to Marriott.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The staff was very nice. The breakfast was good. When I checked in my first night I had an issue with the bedding not being clean (stains on the blanket). I had to go down to the front desk to get clean bedding.

I didn't know that if you stay for a week or more they only clean your room every 3 days. This doesn't necessarily bother me too much since I'm a neat and clean person that doesn't leave my room a mess everyday just because I'm traveling. However, I later found out that this is a pet-friendly hotel (which personally I find disgusting). So from that point forward, I didn't feel comfortable there. Thankfully I was only there for one week. I, too, had problems with the toilet (didn't flush well).

I won't be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings to our valued customer,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. While we understand that you found the hotel to be customer service friendly and clean, we do understand your concern about us being pet friendly. Please know that we strive to help all our customers feel comfortable and although we allow pets, we also have very strick cleaning processes in place per the Marriott Standard to ensure that our rooms are kept fresh.
Please know that we also understand some guest still are not comfortable around pets, and for this reason, Marriott offers a variety different brands catered towards different needs.

We hope that if you are every back in the area you might try our Springhill Suites that is within walking distant and does not allow pets.

Thank you again for your business, we loved having you as our guest.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Recently, we made a reservation with our favorite chain, Marriott, and fortunately a Residence Inn was available. We were not far from Virginia Beach and its beach and its attractions.
This Hotel was easily found off the interstate and there were restaurants and shopping malls readily available. The breakfast was terrific and met our needs. Ebony kept the line restocked with all we were hungry for.
Our check-in went quickly and housekeeping ensured that our room was clean on time and as we would desire "at home." Our second day we were surprised when our room was clean and in perfect order, better than we expected. With that in mind, we picked up after ourselves better and the room looked great every day.
Our only "disappointment" was when we dined locally and that restaurant was slower than necessary in serving our entrees. With families I would not wait to serve them, so impatient children don't become a problem to their family and to other diners. The menu had a good selection and our order was delicious though slower than for 5 year old and 11 year old children. A minor error to the bill for a child's dessert was quickly and correctly fixed.
In conclusion, I cannot think of a thing I might change for this Residence Inn, except maybe changing breakfast hours as in the summer, later hours like 630am/700am to 10am/1030am might be better than in the vacation "off-season" when your clientele is more business travellers.

Room Tip: As I observed, all rooms are likely as excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Penny H, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hello John K and Family,

Thank you so much for the very kind words and compliments for our Residence Inn Chesapeake hotel. The staff at our hotel thrives on summer travelers and we look for extra opportunities to help make our guest feel special. We are also glad to hear that you found the surrounding shopping and restaruants helpful. We will be sure to pass along your comments about the restaurant service to some of our neighbors in hopes that they will address these areas.

Thank you again for staying with us. Our entire staff looks forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

the good:
breakfast and the dinner (Mon-tue/wed) is really pretty good. it is strange that they alternate the schedule and only every other week do you get Wednesday dinner, but other than that the breakfast is better than average.
The rooms are clean and have decent space and amenities.
The staff is very nice and friendly.

The Bad:
while the staff is nice and friendly you get the impression they could care less about you. They smile and say "yes sir" but it is all an act; It's one of those things where they will have people staying there regardless of anything so they really don't care about you.
My toilet stopped up so I asked for a plunger but an hour later still no plunger. I ask again and the manager tells me when he gets a hold of the housekeeper they will get me one. Evidently he was to important to get it for me or there was only one plunger and he did not know where it was... The toilets are also extremely weak, once I finally got the plunger I did not return it but kept it, and several people in my group came over to borrow it multiple times. One of our guys even went to Wall-Mart and bought one.

The housekeeping service never gave me any soap and very little toilet paper (in fact I was there 3 weeks and never got a single bar of soap or shampoo from having the room cleaned) so I had to ask the front desk for it. I really should not have to be asking the front desk for soap and toilet paper when I let them clean my room 3-4 times a week.

They allow dogs which is fine, but they also allow them to bark. I was awoken at 7am by barking and when I got back to the hotel that day I was greeted by barking...for 4 hours! The manager said he would call the owners, but when I asked him an hour (of barking) later about it he responded with "what owners?". I was told the hotel was full and they could move me the next day and that I would just have to deal with the barking/howling dog. After some more complaining they finally moved me. Not the best solution for someone who has been in a room with a kitchenette for 3 weeks but I could not stand any more of the barking/howling.

Finally the beds are horrible. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and every morning I woke up with incredible stiff and painful back.

I will not be staying here again on future trips to VA

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Greetings to our valued guest,

Let me being by thanking you for taking the time to give us such valuable feedback in regards to your stay at the Residence Inn Chesapeake Virginia. Our goal is to extend the very best experience possible to all our guest, from beginning to end. We appreciate the several good compliments you extended to our team, and we also appreciate your suggestions of some of the areas that we could have done better, for this is vital for our continued success.

Please know that all comments from our guests are taken very seriously and the team reacts quickly so that we can continue to create positive and enjoyable experiences. We would apprecaite the opportunity to have you back if you are ever in our area again.

Thank you again, hope to see you back!