“Best of Chesapeake, the backyard of Virginia Beach and Norfolk”

Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Recently, we made a reservation with our favorite chain, Marriott, and fortunately a Residence Inn was available. We were not far from Virginia Beach and its beach and its attractions.
This Hotel was easily found off the interstate and there were restaurants and shopping malls readily available. The breakfast was terrific and met our needs. Ebony kept the line restocked with all we were hungry for.
Our check-in went quickly and housekeeping ensured that our room was clean on time and as we would desire "at home." Our second day we were surprised when our room was clean and in perfect order, better than we expected. With that in mind, we picked up after ourselves better and the room looked great every day.
Our only "disappointment" was when we dined locally and that restaurant was slower than necessary in serving our entrees. With families I would not wait to serve them, so impatient children don't become a problem to their family and to other diners. The menu had a good selection and our order was delicious though slower than for 5 year old and 11 year old children. A minor error to the bill for a child's dessert was quickly and correctly fixed.
In conclusion, I cannot think of a thing I might change for this Residence Inn, except maybe changing breakfast hours as in the summer, later hours like 630am/700am to 10am/1030am might be better than in the vacation "off-season" when your clientele is more business travellers.

Room Tip: As I observed, all rooms are likely as excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Penny H, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hello John K and Family,

Thank you so much for the very kind words and compliments for our Residence Inn Chesapeake hotel. The staff at our hotel thrives on summer travelers and we look for extra opportunities to help make our guest feel special. We are also glad to hear that you found the surrounding shopping and restaruants helpful. We will be sure to pass along your comments about the restaurant service to some of our neighbors in hopes that they will address these areas.

Thank you again for staying with us. Our entire staff looks forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

the good:
breakfast and the dinner (Mon-tue/wed) is really pretty good. it is strange that they alternate the schedule and only every other week do you get Wednesday dinner, but other than that the breakfast is better than average.
The rooms are clean and have decent space and amenities.
The staff is very nice and friendly.

The Bad:
while the staff is nice and friendly you get the impression they could care less about you. They smile and say "yes sir" but it is all an act; It's one of those things where they will have people staying there regardless of anything so they really don't care about you.
My toilet stopped up so I asked for a plunger but an hour later still no plunger. I ask again and the manager tells me when he gets a hold of the housekeeper they will get me one. Evidently he was to important to get it for me or there was only one plunger and he did not know where it was... The toilets are also extremely weak, once I finally got the plunger I did not return it but kept it, and several people in my group came over to borrow it multiple times. One of our guys even went to Wall-Mart and bought one.

The housekeeping service never gave me any soap and very little toilet paper (in fact I was there 3 weeks and never got a single bar of soap or shampoo from having the room cleaned) so I had to ask the front desk for it. I really should not have to be asking the front desk for soap and toilet paper when I let them clean my room 3-4 times a week.

They allow dogs which is fine, but they also allow them to bark. I was awoken at 7am by barking and when I got back to the hotel that day I was greeted by barking...for 4 hours! The manager said he would call the owners, but when I asked him an hour (of barking) later about it he responded with "what owners?". I was told the hotel was full and they could move me the next day and that I would just have to deal with the barking/howling dog. After some more complaining they finally moved me. Not the best solution for someone who has been in a room with a kitchenette for 3 weeks but I could not stand any more of the barking/howling.

Finally the beds are horrible. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and every morning I woke up with incredible stiff and painful back.

I will not be staying here again on future trips to VA

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Greetings to our valued guest,

Let me being by thanking you for taking the time to give us such valuable feedback in regards to your stay at the Residence Inn Chesapeake Virginia. Our goal is to extend the very best experience possible to all our guest, from beginning to end. We appreciate the several good compliments you extended to our team, and we also appreciate your suggestions of some of the areas that we could have done better, for this is vital for our continued success.

Please know that all comments from our guests are taken very seriously and the team reacts quickly so that we can continue to create positive and enjoyable experiences. We would apprecaite the opportunity to have you back if you are ever in our area again.

Thank you again, hope to see you back!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here as a requirement of a sports tournament and did not choose the hotel ourselves. Having travelled extensively, and have enjoyed the Ritz-Carltons, Waldorfs, as well as the mid-brand hotels, I will say that I was extremely impressed with the staff here. The rooms were standard for a "suites" hotel- clean, comfortable, had a nicely kept pool, fitness area and reception, but it is really the service that was a real stand-out. Better than any we have had around the world, regardless of the price of the room. This is really attributed to Marcus, a young man who greeted us, shook each person's hand warmly, truly cared about every detail, and had the "Nordstroms" approach to concierge style customer service rarely seen in a chain hotel. When I found out he has only been on the job for 2 months and is in college, I was truly impressed. Engaging and warm, smart and competent, he really made our stay enjoyable. The breakfast staff and the actual breakfast itself was much better than usual for the type of hotel, and every last employee we met was upbeat, cheerful and helpful, right down to the housekeeping. I usually expect a less than wonderful experience when staying in chain hotels like this, but truly felt compelled to comment on the folks here. To sum up- average rooms, good amenities including laundry, but stellar staff.

Room Tip: We asked for room away from the noise of the common areas. Worked out great. First floor on oppos...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Penny H, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Chesapeake Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Greetings to our new family!

Thank you for the very kind and heart felt compliments about our hotel. The entire staff greatly appreciates hearing such wonderful feedback. At the Residence Inn Chesapeake, the staff works hard to ensure that all our guests feel true hospitality just as you discribed.

We truly appreciate the opportunity of having you as our guest and we hope that if you are ever in the area again, you'll come back to your new "home away from home!'

Thanks again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently hosted an Environmental Negotiation Workshop for the U.S. Navy at the Marriott Residence Inn and was very satisfied my first experience at this facility. We typically host our trainings/workshops in the region at the Homewood Suites Chesapeake-Greenbrier, just 1/2 mile down on Crossways Blvd. we got our wires crossed when rescheduling some of our classes and lo and behold, when I called to confirm offsite logistics with the Homewood Suites Banquet Manager (Nona Aragon), she politely informed me we did not have the room booked and it was already rented.

Luckily, Nona was kind enough to immediately call over to her contacts at the Residence Inn and help reserve a space for us. She even sent over a sample of our typical banquet event order so the staff at Residence Inn would know exactly what type of setup we would require.

We were put in touch with Residence Banquet manager Shannon Dixon who did an OUTSTANDING job accomodating us on such short notice. I arrived early on Monday morning and received a warm welcome from GM Penny Hunt and front desk employee Marcus.

I was originally told I could setup the room for our 3-day workshop (Tues-Thurs) Monday evening after the last group had left. Having pre-arranged this and arriving in town a day early for this very reason, I was a little disappointed to discover upon returning that evening that I would have to wait until after 10pm to setup the room. I opted instead to come in very early Tuesday morning to setup.

We were treated very well all three days of the workshop. The breakfast provided was good, similar to HomeWood Suites and Hampton Inn. The afternoon snack provided was decent, somewhat mediocre.

Overall the customer service provided was excellent. GM Penny even provided us a private hotel room free of charge for the entire 3-day conference so that the two women in the class who were breastfeeding could do so comfortably and privately. Talk about going the extra mile!!

This was a very good first outing. We will definately consider this venue again for future workshops.

V/r
Sean

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Again it was pleasure meeting you and being able to host your event at our Residence Inn Chesapeake. Our meeting room is an area that unfortunately does not get utilized as much as we would like, and we have expanded our services to provide different set up and food options then we have had previously. It is nice to see that you found our accommodations to be positive.

If you are ever in a bind or just needing a another change, please know that we are always here waiting to service your next event.

Thanks again! Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Magdalena S

Thank God for Residence Inn Chesapeake Greenbrier!After a stressful ordeal from the house we
moved out from, Residence Inn was like a second home for us.As soon as we got in, we felt so
welcomed by the smile of this wonderful front-desk employee named Marcus.He's such a great
asset to this hotel because of his great personality that makes people feel at home and important.He's so friendly yet professional, and so helpful to everybody as I observed in our 28 days stay there.I feel he deserves a promotion.Free breakfast everyday and dinner from Monday
to Wednesday is also great especially that cool, friendly chef guy who always greet us.When there's a problem in the room like the door or refrigerator, they fix it right away too.The swimming pool , exercise room, pool table and washing machine are a great plus.Our whole family is extremely satisfied with our stay in this hotel and we look forward to going back there in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you! to our long term stay guest,

We at the Residence Inn Chesapeake are thrilled that you enjoyed your 28 day stay with us. As an extended stay hotel, we cater mostly to guest that stay 5 or more days. We look forward to giving personalized service in a genuine way. From Marcus, Torrey in the restaruant to all our Front Desk staff and Housekeepers, we miss you and we hope that if you are ever in our area again, you will make a point to stop in and say hello!

Best of luck to you and your family. Until next time - Take care!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The check-in agent was very nice, no hastle. As soon as we got off the elevator we immediately noticed how hot it is in the hallway of other levels. (main level is fine) We got into our room & noticed the thermostat was set for 73 however it was * 85 degrees in our room*.
We tried cutting it off then on, adjusting the settings, temp, etc and nothing worked. It was blowing air but it was not cold, felt like a fan. I advised the front desk after 30 mins, it was a diff agent then who checked us in, she said "oh its always like that bc different people like different settings on the ac, you should give it a few hours". I called back 1 hour later, she advised she would send someone up to look @ it, no one came. After another hour we left for a few hours, came back & it finally started to cool off in the room. The next morning the toilet would not flush, my husband called for assistance, they advised him he needed to come get a plunger from the front desk and do it himself?! I have never stayed @ a hotel that refused to provide service to fix their own faulty equiptment. None the less, he did so.
They placed us right beside the air conditioning units. I asked to be changed to a diff room bc i was worried it would keep us up all night as the other people's reviews have stated, but it didnt. They adv there were not any rooms left. It was a buzzing noise but not unbareable.
The BEST thing i can say about this hotel is that the breakfast staff is AMAZING, they were super sweet. The food was well cooked & stocked. As for amenities there is an indoor pool, however it is tiny and does not hold many people. They do have a pool table & basketball court for the kiddos though.
During time to prepare for bed, i realized there was only 1 fitted sheet & 1 thin cover , no pillows, in the closet for the pullout couch bed. (The room was reserved for 2 adults and 2 children) When calling front desk, again they said someone would bring it up, noone did. I went down to get the item myself after 45 mins.
There were 2 large towels and 2 small hand towels in the bathroom, so i got more towels when going for the bedding. (most hotels supply more w/out asking)

****I am not one to complain or be nit picky but if this hotel would have been under $100 i would understand,,,for what we paid of closer to $200 it wasnt as good as expected.
I did complain to the front desk, which of course did me no good. ***

Room Tip: do not stay near air conditioner units,,check your ac as soon as you get in the room,,check for bedd...
1  Thank tee m

Greeting to our Residence Inn Customer,

Thank you for being a valued guest at our hotel. Let me please apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. While it was good to hear that you found the breakfast to be a good experience, there were other areas that did not start off so well and were not in place as they should have been. Please know that all your comments have been reviewed and acted on with our managment and team members. We take our customers reviews very seriously and utilize them as we continue to make our services even stronger.

Thank you again. We look forward to having another opportunity to provide you with the service we know we can provide.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have always enjoyed staying here at Residence Inn. The staff is always friendly and willing to help me out. The free breakfast in the morning works out nice also. Separated bedroom from living room in our rooms always help with a little privacy from the kids.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family