“Rough start...but, strong finish.”

Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Rough start...but, strong finish.”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We scheduled a "romantic evening" after the holidays to allow ourselves the opportunity to relax and recuperate. We chose the King sized room with the Jacuzzi. Cosmetically the room was very well decorated and clean. We settled in and my wife decided to take a shower. Minutes into her shower, the water had not warmed up to a comfortable temperature. To be frank, it was still cold. We allowed the water to run even longer and nothing...still cold. Mind you, my wife is midway through her shower. I called the front desk to inform them of the issue. The young lady at the front desk was very apologetic and comforting. She offered a number of solutions. Eventually, we agreed that using the shower in another room would suffice for the evening. Mainly because my wife wanted to remain in the room with the Jacuzzi. Alexis also discounted the room citing the inconvenience. She even checked on us to ensure that everything was ok. In a situation where she could have easily dismissed us and our concerns, she went above and beyond "good" customer service to ensure our needs were met. Even her manager Dru, the following morning continued with this precedence. He followed up with us and was very helpful as well. I will definitely return to this site my next time in the area. Kudos to Alexis and Dru.

A.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 007AH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for business trips since about 2008. I have always enjoyed the friendly staff and quaint atmosphere. The rooms are clean and I love the complimentary breakfast. The Front Desk Concierge Dru is extremely courteous, attentive, and professional. I would highly recommend this location to anyone traveling for business or personal affairs.
- T. Brown

Room Tip: Just tell the concierge what you are looking for and you will be obliged
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony B
Essex, Maryland, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I visit this hotel on a bi-weekly basis for business purposes. The hotel is convenient for my work and travel needs. I have always received a warm welcome upon entry making me feel like it is my home away from home. The staff is courteous, warm and friendly. The rooms are clean and the breakfasts are great for on the run. The manager seems to be always present and has a quick smile and hello as well as the staff. With various other hotels in the area, as a platinum member with IHG I give it a two thumbs up!!
Thanks for all you do!

Room Tip: Rooms 208 and 308 are the king suites and quite spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EdD1026
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went there on the way to the Outer Banks, and we stayed one night in a room with two queen beds. It seemed fine until we were going to sleep and pulled back the comforter to discover that the sheets on one bed were stained with blood. We are not sure if the sheets were just stained or had not been cleaned at all. The young man at the desk said he was the only one there and there was no one from housekeeping. Furthermore there were no another rooms available. My husband asked if they had any clean sheets so at least he could change them. However I could not get the image out of my head so we just used the one bed (with our kids). After much back and forth, we finally got a refund, but we still wonder if the room was ever cleaned. Will not stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank abjj117
Christy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and value your business. I take great pride to mention that Quality is not an option but a standard at our hotel. Our dedicated room attendants sanitize and wash the sheets after each guest and rooms are inspected by our Executive Housekeeper daily! The room attendant who was assigned to clean your room has been with the hotel for over 6 years and she is very oriented in paying attention to detail. Although she confirmed that the sheets were clean when the bed was made, our reaction was “Guest is always right” and a 100% refund was made to you as per our hospitality promise. I do appreciate your initiative to take the time to write this review 4 months past your stay. Again, I am joined by my entire staff to thank you for your business! Safe travels.
Best Regards,
Christy Morgan

Travelers are raving about these Chesapeake hotels

Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2013

When I started my search for a hotel in that area during June, the reviews were pretty bad for this hotel. But, since the hotel is located in the perfect location I went ahead and made reservations for September, hoping a couple of disgruntled reviewers just needed an axe to grind. Upon check-in, I was totally surprised by the friendly staff. I found the room spacious, clean and totally adequate. All the smoking rooms are located on one floor,keeping the odor away from the other guests. I don't smoke, but the spouse does. The hallway had the smoke smell but the room did not. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Red light camera at Gum Rd. and Portsmouth Blvd. Beware!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Christy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Ronald P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to rate your stay with us! We are so greatful that you decided to come stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Chesapeake. I'm proud we could meet your expectations. We strive to go above & beyond for each of our guest's stay. We look forward to having you again soon. Safe travels!
Sincerley,
Christy Morgan
Connecticut
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the first floor, king suite. Rooms were a bit snug, but overall, more than acceptable. Furnishings are typical of this grade of hotel.

Staff was always pleasant, and even outgoing -- I don't think we ever walked past the front desk without the clerk calling out a greeting to us!

DH used the indoor pool, and said it was clean, and well maintained.

Complimentary breakfast seemed to have a broad array of options, but when we were there, it seemed crowded, confused, people were kinda pushy and rude trying to get to the food, and indeed, many items were depleted. Not sure if this is typical, or was just that weekend. Maybe a longer breakfast service would alleviate the crowding?

• Stayed August 2012
Hamilton,On
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Check inn was easy. Room was clean. Later that night we asked for 2 extra towels and was told by Drew at the front desk to come down and get it. She's the only one at the desk and can't leave. The attitude was abrupt and rude.

Breakfast was the usual adequate fare of western omelettes, boiled eggs, cereal, biscuits and gravy, muffins , cinnamon buns, juice etc.pancake maker was broken.No microwave to warm up boiled eggs or warm milk for your cereal . Morning front desk staff friendly and helpful. The pool was clean and enjoyable.

If you are on an extended stay and have to use the Washing machine, the old top loader eviscerates ones clothes.
Overall a very enjoyable stay

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank elcycad
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear elcycad,

Thank you for your review of our property. It is delightful to know that you had a smooth check in experience and the breakfast served was adequate for your needs. However, I apologize that the reception staff's service was a disappointment. We take all feedback seriously and your review will help us improve on our efforts.

Hopefully, the next time you are in the area we get the opportunity to host you again.

Pam G