“Only stop if your tired!”

Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
North Carolina
“Only stop if your tired!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a smoking and non smoking hotel! Let me start off by saying we were originally placed on the 3rd floor. I took my 3 and 1 yr old to this floor and when we stepped off the elavator all I could smell was smoke.

Decided to keep going for the heck of it to see if it was just the hallway. Got into the room and it smelled horrible. I called the front desk and advised that the room smelled like smoke and I could not let my children sleep in this room.

She advised that the smoking level starts on the 5th floor. Isn't it amazing how smoke travels?

Anyways she was very courteous and advised she had an available room on the 2 floor. I'm telling you it was like night and day.

Beds slept good. Shower temps were medium! Location was horrible.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Neekeesha,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. I am glad that you found our staff service commendable enough during your stay. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with the room accommodations you received. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here using miles for 1 night in end of August, room was clean and seemed to have been remodeled recently even though the pull out sofa had seen its better days, staff was very friendly, breakfst was good and fully stocked, attendant was on top of things. In a fairly quiet area off the freeway, close to restaurants. I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MSP-Mike
accokeek
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We decided to try this Holiday Inn Express primarily based on our favorable stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Newport News, VA. We checked in Friday evening and checked out Sunday morning. The facility has great curb appeal! The Front Desk staff was friendly and our check-in was smooth. Our suite appearance was fine, although we've seen better. We checked for sufficient bath linen for 3 people and that was fine. We checked the pull out sofa/sleeper for linen and there was none. My wife had to pick up the sofa/sleeper linen at the Front Desk. That was annoyance number 1 on day 1. Our suite was on the 3rd floor. Upon returning to our suite, I turned on both TVs and one of them had almost no picture signal. That was annoyance number 2 on day 1. I complained to the Front Desk and was offered to be moved to another room because the maintenance staff had gone home. I declined to be moved because we had already unpacked and were tired from traveling. I checked the cable connection and found that black coaxial cable had become disconnected from the silver screw on connector that was supposed to maintain the signal. I pushed the cable back into the silver screw on connector and the picture was cystal clear; however, I hoped it would not fall out before we checked out. I don't recall the Front Desk taking the time to prepare any repair work order to fix the problem for a future guest. Fortunately the cable did not fall back out before we checked out.

Housekeeping came to our door on day 2 before 10 AM asking if we wanted our suite cleaned at that moment or to come back later. Naturally I said to come back later. That was annoyance number 3. It should have been obvious to come back later. That stupid question gave me the impression that we were interferring with their cleaning schedule. We left the hotel shortly later to have breakfast at the nearby Crackle Barrel and get on with our day. We returned to our suite about 8 PM. Upon returning we noticed that we had only 2 bath towels and no other bath linen. That was annoyance number 4. I went down to the Front Desk to pick up more bath linen and the Front Desk staff kindly told me that the linen was in the dryer. That was annoyance number 5. We had to wait for the linen to finish its drying cycle before we could shower or take a bath. About 20-30 minutes later a young lady brought us 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 wash cloths. We needed at least 3 hand towels and 3 wash cloths. That was annoyance number 6. I went back down to the Front Desk again to ask for another hand towel and wash cloth. The Front Desk young lady kindly gave me more hand towels and wash cloths. After getting the bath linen issue resolved, I noticed that our ice bucket had not been emptied and we had no replacement ice bag. That was annoyance number 7. I was tired of taking trips to the Front Desk from our 3rd floor suite. I dumped the water and got more ice. After returning from the ice room we discovered that housekeeping did not make up the sofa bed. That was annoyance number 8.

Our stay was disappointing at best. We've decided to never return to this Holiday Inn Express. The facililty has to have more than great curb appeal for us to become repeat guests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Erastus353
Atlanta
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My recent stay there was a total treat. The staff were fantastic - they were always smiling and ready to help the instant you asked anything. Definitely a place to stay in Chesapeake. The price was right.

The one downside I found was that smoking rooms were available and there seemed to be a faint odor of smoke in the hotel. It was very subtle, but there just the same. Please take into acccount that I'm sensitive to it because of being a reformed smoker.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RollingStoneAtlanta
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in a king bed room on the 4th floor. The hotel was quiet and yet close to highways. We would stay again. The only negative would be small spots of mildew could be seen in the shower. Seems as though this could have been recaulked or bleached and the bathtub seemed as though it was "recoated". That would be the only downfall to our room.The bed was comfy, the room nice. The breakfast the next morning was plentiful and made for a great start to our day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kusscat
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The staff at this hotel is WONDERFUL!!!!!! They are very kid friendly and extremely helpful, willing to go the extra mile.The rooms are nicely kept and the cleaning staff is accommodating. Breakfast hours are standard and items are kept stocked. Afternoon cookie snack in the lobby is a winning idea :) What a great stay! Thanks Ken, Christy and staff!

Room Tip: King suite with pull out sofa is the way to go.