“Pleasant stay”

Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I'm not sure what happened with the previous two reviewers, but our experience was quite pleasant. I will admit I am normally a Marriott customer, but I have strayed over to the Holiday Inn Express brand a few times recently.

We had a perfectly nice stay. The room was quite large, it was clean, the front desk staff was very pleasant, breakfast was more than adequate. For the rate we paid, it was an excellent value. The only thing I could see remotely wrong was the bed was a tad bit hard, but nothing extreme. There were also some rather active guests directly above us, but that wasn't the fault of the hotel.

Overall, we had a very lovely stay. For the money we paid, it was a good value.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Booked a room for one night, was traveling from Georgia and my plane got delayed several times so I contacted the reception desk after 10:00 PM; front desk clerk referred he was about to cancel my reservation since I did not showed up. Finally got to the hotel, hallways, carpets and walls smell of tobacco smoke. The room was poorly decorated with an old TV, shower and bathtub looked like they had never been scrubbed with mold and mildew coming out of every crevice. Breakfast was very poorly selected, narrow selection for healthy eaters. Was glad to get out of there the day after!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ealic
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I booked two rooms in the hotel for one night for myself and my husband and two other guests via the Priority Club hot line.

At 12:30 am I was returning to the hotel when I came upon a group of 8 individuals congregating on and around a bench to the left of the hotel entry. They were speaking in loud enough tones to be heard from the handicapped parking space where I was parked. As I approached these people I noticed that they had a case of beer with them. I have never, ever been to any Holiday Inn chain and witnessed persons drinking in front of the establishment. I went inside and spoke to Whitney, the night manager. She apologized and I proceeded to my room. When I returned to my room I called her again as I found it very offensive that this was allowed on the premises. I choose this brand of hotel for it's consistency and I actually was paying for my other guests in room 105. I had bragged to them about the quality of the Holiday Inn Express chains across the United States. This was quite an anomaly in my experience. The next morning I spoke to Osei, the day manager and I even photographed the empty beer case sitting on top of the trash can.

There were some cosmetic issues with the hotel as well but those did not concern me as much as the drunken guests outside the hotel. My other guests told me that these people had stayed outside talking till at least 4 am because both of them had gone out to smoke after I had gone up to my room. They heard these guests discussing that they were in from "Brownsville" for their children's baseball game.(Did these folks also leave their kids unattended in their rooms?) Here is a link to the picture of the front of the hotel the next morning:

I am disappointed that no one from the upper management contacted me about my concerns. This is not typical for Holiday Inn. I sent a letter of complain via the post stay survey which the hotel issues but no apology or response directly from the hotel was forthcoming. I would stay away from this particular Holiday Inn Express. I felt my stay was cheapened by having to walk past people beer cans in hand. If I wanted to go low class I would have pulled off in to any random roadside motel instead of reserving a room the night before.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Nice hotel with a great Military rate that is centrally located to the area Navy bases. Was a great place with available internet connection to allow for house hunting research. Breakfast was great and free!

Room Tip: Ask for the King Jacuzzi suit with the broken Jacuzzi. You can get it for the same as a standard roo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 69gto4fun
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I was going to Cheaspeake VA for my grandson's graduation and had booked a room through Expedia ( WILL NEVER do that AGAIN). The room they promised me was not available, The hotel told Expedia this and thought they would let me know. They didn't!
When I tried to check in Miss Morgan told me about the room not being available. She had no way to call me because Expedia had all my info and would not give it to her. At this point Miss Morgan did everything she could to find me a room, and in fact she did. It wasn't the room I wanted but it was almost as nice. She couldn't have been any nicer. She stepped up to the plate and fixed a very bad issus. Miss Morgan is a credit to this company and I would stay there again. The room was clean and comfortable.
Thank you again Miss Morgan. Pat Barber

Room Tip: Do Not Book Througt Expedia. Call the Hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Originally, we booked a two night stay at the Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, however after the problems of the first night we left.

This specific property appears to be "refreshed" from an older property. Holiday Inn Express is going around and re-doing lobbies, repainting rooms and putting in new beds/carpetting throughout the chain and while I do applaud that, this property was pathetic. Other than the new logo and a nice lobby, the place looked very worn. It was disappointing to see especially since this is one of the most pricey Holiday Inn Expresses that we've stayed at.

The hotel is near lots of shopping/dining locations and right off the interstate which made for easy access but loud traffic noise. We arrived in the afternoon after a 12 hour drive from Florida so we were both exhausted and went to bed immediately. Once in the room, we noticed scuffs all over the walls, a lingering smoke smell, terrible wear all over the fixtures and furniture and unclean tiles in the restroom- when we put a towel down for a shower it was BLACK within seconds. The beds were sagging and and the springs DUG into our backs. Absolutely the WORST beds I've ever seen at a Holiday Inn Express, and I've stayed in lots. On top of that, the sheets on one of the beds were stained so badly that I can't believe they were left on, this wouldn't pass at a motel 6! After getting some rest and awakening, we noticed spots and food stuck to the sheets that we were using- disgusting!

Later in the evening, we took a shower and noted the curtain which was also stained, it appeared to have make up/lipstick on it. This was also the case for a lamp next to the TV. They had forgotten to give us conditioner and we were in the shower before we noticed, so that was a pain!

We both tossed and turned all night and woke up sore all over, the bed was probably the worst one I've ever slept on! The next morning I informed the lady at the desk that we would not be spending another night there and luckily, we were not "prepaid" so she simply removed our reservation for the next night and we were on our way. In the end, it really is a shame to see the Holiday Inn Express chain falling victim to poor franchises like this and others I've stayed at lately. A few years back, the new/refreshed properties were sparkling new and had very competitive pricing. At this point, the pricing is up there with mid level business class hotels but they just don't deliver- the wear and tear is not being dealt with especially at this particular property.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoshandIssa
HIEHS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2010

I found this review to be based solely on the price our guests paid for their room. The cost was metioned several times during the review and it was evident that because they paid $103.00, they were not happy.. Why not ask if a better rate was available or see if they qualified for any discounts? I cant imagine anyone staying or sleeping in a bed with sheets full of stains and with food stuck to the sheets. This, is just not believable. With the new brand shower curtains the liners are easily detached so we are able to replace the liners and curtain with every check out. . Also, if this is factual why was this not brought to the staff or management attention? I checked on the mattress in the room that they occupied and the mattress was very firm. I can see how it could be uncomfortable for some people. We pride ourselves on the service and the clean comfortable rooms we provide and if something is wrong we should get the opportunity to make it right.

Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stay at this property everytime we are in Chesepeake, Virginia because the hotel staff makes us feel like family. We wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple