“Blackbeard would love it here!”

Pirate's Cove Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 512 Restaurants in Chesapeake
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was my first visit to Pirate’s Cove, which is hidden in the corner of a small shopping center. A ‘special’ is offered each day of the week, and on this day, Sunday, was a the fish fry special. The salad was large, with romaine lettuce, tomato wedges, cucumber, carrot slivers and I chose the pepper parmesan dressing. The dinner plate was loaded with large filets of fried Alaskan Pollock , piping hot and golden brown along with 3 hush puppies. I also had black beans. Everything was delicious … everything! The cost for this special was $13.99 before taxes.

The hostess and the waitress were both exceptionally cordial, and the waitress quite helpful. After finishing my meal, I thought of dessert, but I was stuffed. When I asked the waitress about a dessert to go, she told me they had great desserts but most patrons were too full to eat them … and I can see why. She recommended the Pumpkin Cheesecake, and while reluctant, I trusted her advice. Later, at home, I thoroughly enjoyed one great piece of cheesecake. It was something special.

Pirate’s Cove is more like a sports bar, but with Pirate artifacts on the wall and a 5-foot statue of a pirate as you enter. I enjoyed the décor and watched some of a football game on one of several TVs. It’s the kind of place that Blackbeard would probably enjoy. I know it works for me.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We eat here often. Every meal has been excellent.
The crab cakes are wonderful. Portions are substantial without being overwhelming.
Seafood dishes are tasty. Patty melt special is a good change when seafood is not what you want.
Service is quick and efficient.
Reliably good food.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Ordered the flounder and scallops, everything was perfectly cooked. The portions were so big I couldn't finish my meal both of the times we have eaten there. Hush puppies are awesome also!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This restaurant serves truly great seafood -- not fussy, just honest, fresh food. We had striped bass stuffed with crabmeat. There was no filler, no sauces to hide the flavors, just a beautifully cooked fish with huge chunks of fresh lump crabmeat on top. The sides were also delicious, but the fish and crab was truly the focus of our attention. This place is a hidden gem!!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Two of my friends and I went for an early dinner and loved it. The service was excellent, thanks to our waitress Amber. We each ordered the "build your own" which you could get fried or broiled for $23.99. The fried came with your choice (of two) flounder, clams, jumbo lump crab cake, oysters, scallops, shrimp or pollock. The broiled came with your choice (of two) crab cake, scallops, shrimp or flounder. One of us ordered the fried plate with scallops and crab cake and said it was delicious. The other ordered the broiled plate with shrimp and crab cake and was very thrilled with it. I ordered the broiled plate with scallops and crab cake and thought it was very good except that I thought it could have used a little more broiling. The dishes came with two sides of your choice. We ordered the mac and cheese, which was home made and quite good. The cole slaw was great, as was the spinach. The orders included delicious hush puppies! We also ordered the crab dip as an appetizer. I didn't really like it as it was too creamy for me. The others loved it.

The restaurant was very clean and you could see the kitchen from where we sat. It looked to be very well organized. The bar area was full of regular patrons and the music was piped in, at the perfect level. We didn't have to shout to have a conversation.

I would go back again for sure.