“Italian restaurant?? More of a bar atmosphere, with food.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Italian restaurant?? More of a bar atmosphere, with food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Was pleasantly greeted and helped. Had a very nice waitress. Wasn't overly impressed with all the prices. Place wasnt busy (2 pm and was the Only food patron,but waited over 20 min for small sub. When it came, it was wrong, bought back, by now its literally cold. Very slack on meat. (subway portions at best). Seriously doubt I will ever come back. The Arbor sub shop gives you three times the amount for less They by far have the best subs around

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank karenmb3399

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Horrible Service!! No Pizza Came!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I ordered 2 pizzas, after over an hour I called, apparently the women was at the wrong house and instead of calling and realizing she was 3 doors down she just decided it was best to not show up.So I ended up cancelling. Well they charged my card anyway so that monday I called and asked for a manager they said one would call me back. She never did so days later i called again and she said she was glad I called because they never took my number down when I called previously. She promised me 2 pizzas on the house...needless to say, they never showed up. I will NEVER order from them again!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank melissa j
currituck NC
“Really one of the better pies in Chesapeake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My Mom loves this place, therefore we tend to eat there frequently. I like it very much. Always get the pizza but man oh man! It never disappoints. I come to the "big city" on most Tuesdays- think I'm gonna push to eat here tomorrow. I don't care much for the atmosphere...but I rarely see anything else once the pie arrives.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank twilight3380
va beach,VA
“great Italian food at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

We just had our second meal at the Cugini's on Laskin Rd,
It was so delicious! and the prices are so reasonable, great casual dining,great Italian food!

2 Thank 1bacibear
Suffolk, Virginia
“Gugini's Pizza is slightly above average but not by much.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

I write my reviews on my iPhone while I am at the restaurant I am reviewing so please excuse the lack of proper grammar.

Gugini's Pizza

Location: Just of 64 with easy highway access.

Outside: Tucked into a large modern strip mall.

Parking: Shared lot with the strip mall. Won't have to walk too far.

Inside: very NY feel complete with pictures and banners of NYC on the walls. Complete with gray walls, gray paint, black and white tiles, etc, this is definitely NY! The furniture is nicer than most pizza joints and the condiments are full and clean. Good attention to detail. Nice wall sconces - too bad they aren't on. Place has 2 flat screens playing sports but no sound or music to hear. Just busy kitchen noise. There is not a lot of seating. Maybe 30 total. They had a couple large tables and could accommodate a party of 12 split in two.

Menu: Huge. Somewhere around 60 items from pizza to pasta to soups to sandwiches to salads and more. They have a wine menu but the place doesn't facilitate a need for wine. They also have a desert menu with 11 typical NY deserts. IE Tiramisu, cannoli, zeppole, and NY style cheesecake. I asked if they were homemade and they aren't. Sysco maybe? Not sure but not for me...
Prices: medium cheese (12"): $8.95 - large cheese (16"): $10.95 - XL cheese (18"): $13.95
Specialty pizza from $11.95 - $23.95
All subs: $6.99
Average dinner: $11.95-15.95
A little more pricey than they should be and certain menu pricing doesn't make sense: an XL cheese pizza = $13.95 but the vegetable pizza with green peppers, mushrooms, onion, broccoli and tomato raises that cost to $21.95. $8.00 for a some veggies?

Service: I was greeted fast and got my order in in less than 2 minutes. My server was pleasant and genuinely smiled throughout my meal. The place is half full at noon on a Thursday with plenty of staff working hard. Nice to see the effort the staff puts forth here coordinating the busy lunch time.

My order: a large pizza, half cheese half Hawaiian and a diet Coke. My usual virgin order the first time I try a pizza joint.

Clientele: very casual blue collar.

The pizza: took about 15 minutes. Not bad for being busy. The cheese is oily but what NY cheese isn't? It's not cheap but it isn't high quality milk based mozzarella either. The sauce is pretty bland and on the sweeter side. It tastes like good quality canned sauce. The sauce is oily as well as the cheese so you do get a nice puddle of grease on top in the middle. And this will drip so plates are a necessity. This pizza needs the fixins if you want to bring out the flavor. The crust is very thick for a NY style pizza. Not conducive to the NY fold-to-eat style. It is hand tossed and a little dry and floury. Doesn't have much flavor but it crusts up well and is on the chewy side. This is the kind of crust you leave on the plate / in the box and get another piece.

The second piece got all the fixins and it did make an improvement.

Third piece: the Hawaiian... The ham is luncheon meat, the pineapple is sparse and the hot peppers are hot. Not the quality I expected but it still improved the pizza nonetheless.

Overall: The pizza is good and the setting is OK but I've had pizza like this before many times. It's not special by any standard. Would I go back? Sure. But only if I was in the immediate vicinity and craving pizza. I'm giving Gugini's Pizza a 6.5 out of 10.

My pizza experience in Chesapeake so far:

Chesapeake Pizza 10 out of 10