“Disappointing waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #5 of 498 Restaurants in Chesapeake
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls. Our new extended Happy Hour includes Sunday 11 am - 6 pm and Saturday 11 am - 6 pm. We continue to include great offerings M-F 3pm - 7 pm though! Catering is also an option, our staff are adept at delivering a professional, hassle-free and delicious meal. Whatever the occasion, we'll stop at nothing to make your time at Abuelo's a memorable dining experience.
USA
“Disappointing waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

You know when you tip despite having hated the waitress's attitude? Abuello's always has great food, and the restaurant layout here is amazingly identical to their other locations. But when a server brought my friend the wrong meal and he unknowingly proceeded to eat it, she returned to our table with a vengeance and gave us "lip" and attitude the rest of the night! The manager was aware but seemed herself overwhelmed, and simply offered, "We won't charge you for the more expensive meal." How about instead next time, "I am sorry that my staff wears their mistakes on their sleeves like attitude on an angry drunk, so please accept this meal on-the-house for your not receiving what you ordered?" As I write this review, I realize that the real failure that night at dinner was leadership on behalf of management, and then self-discipline on behalf of the waitress, who as I mentioned earlier, really is working for gratuitous tips.

Puyallup, Washington
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I ate dinner at the bar on a Friday night. I was greeted by the bartender who told me not only his name but the name of the other bartender. I had the Durango burrito with Cilantro-lime rice. The meal was very good, but the portions could have been a bit bigger. Being just a bit hungry still I asked the bartender for some of the happy hour priced tacos right at the end of happy hour. He got the order right in and the tacos were very good. I would like to return again if I am in the area.

1 Thank wwumarine
Tampa, Florida
“ask for waitress emma !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

sit on their HEATED outdoor patio - its incredibly hot - even in freezing weather !

TIPS :

1 ) call ahead and tell them you are coming if its cold and ask them to turn on the torches on the patio to get it warmed up.....else you'll have to take a shot or two to warm you up while you wait :)

2 ) ask for waitress Emma, she does a great job !

3 ) try their chimichanga, and go during happy hour when some of the food is like 1/2 price. otherwise its kind of pricey. this is not cheap dining !!! but the foods worth it. I always take stuff home with me....portions are great !

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Not the first time to eat there. Previously, food was great at dinner. This time, meat was overcooked and dry. Service was good. Maybe difference between lunch and dinner.

• Visited December 2012
“Great Food and Great Happy Hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I tried the Happy Hour menu on this visit to Abuelo's. Over the last couple of years that I have been coming here (I am here on business) and the food is consistenly good. I found the service to be a little slow this last visit. The chips and the offered dips were simply wonderful. I love the verde sauce, but the red sauces were also good. I would recommend trying all the sauces/salsas. The verde salsa was so good. I had the pork tacos and I found them to be excellent. I will order again and on my next visit here to this area, I will order same.

Give this a try. I think you will like it.