“WORST Hotel I've Ever Had the Displeasure of Staying At” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Express Chesapeake - Norfolk
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Washington DC
“WORST Hotel I've Ever Had the Displeasure of Staying At”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Beware of owner Patel and his front desk manager Sharon, who are both confrontational and do not subscribe to customer service. After an unfortunate misunderstanding where housekeeping entered my room thinking I had checked out (even though my suitcase and all of my belongings were still in the room), and threw out all of my toiletries (yes ladies, all of my shampoo, conditioner, face soap, body wash, etc.) I asked to be compensated a nominal amount to replace the items, and instead found myself the victim of verbal abuse. There are a number of other hotels in the area... My recommendation is stay at any other or even in your car to avoid this pathetic excuse for an accommodation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank B S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fruitland, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here overnight because we went to a concert at Virginia Beach. As soon as we walked in I was overtaken by the very interesting decor (not in a good way) and the overwhelming smell. We figured it's just one night and somewhere to sleep and rest up after our concert. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and you could see it sagging in the middle and the pillows might as well have been a piece of paper. When I finally did fall asleep I was woken up by the sounds of yelling and screaming coming from the parking lot at 4 am Keep in mind the loud ac was on, window closed, and we were on the fourth floor and it still felt like they were in the room with us. A fight was brewing along with some quite colorful language. It took the night desk clerk over twenty minutes to finally go out there and try to stop it. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank Aimee1228

Travelers are raving about these Chesapeake hotels

Chesapeake, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

i wouldnt recommend this hotel i called and ask if they have a pool and the lady said yes its in the hotel and she lied there pool was filled with concrete the man at the desk said he had no idea who i spoke to and did nothing to correct my worry it was difficult with no pool when i have three teenage daughters we had to drive 20 miles daily to go to the ocean to swim i wouldnt take children to this hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank William W
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

It smells its dirty staff is completly rude...i would rather sleep in the car than ever stay here again. Needs to fire all staff and hire polite proffesional people... During my stay I opened night stand to find weed. The outlits didnt work. Cig. Burns all over bathtub. I would never let anyone I know stay here

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Cailae
DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Average location and rooms, good value, terrible service and cleanliness (details below). If the place fixed the problem with outside doors that let anyone walk right into the hotel any time of the day or night, this could be a three-star overall rating.

I stayed two days here. I should have realized the level of quality I was getting when the badly-written check-in sheet concentrated on pointing out that there were no refunds, never, nope, forget it, move along now. I think it says it five or six times. I cannot be sure because when I asked for a copy, I was told a copy would be a dollar. I asked for a blank one and was told mine was the last. I gave up.

The police were at the hotel at least twice, based on police cars parking in front.

Someone banged on our door around 9AM the first morning, yelling and demanding entrance. I called the front desk and they said it was a security guard but he should have been at another room. On another floor.

The toilet seat was broken. I was told that they knew and it would be fixed next week. That helped me how? I gave up.

First morning we left our hotel room at around 11AM as housekeeping was making their rounds. We exchanged pleasantries with the one cleaning the room across from ours as we went out On return at 11PM, our room was uncleaned. When I asked the front desk why, they claimed we had left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on (we had not). Then the clerk asks me, "What the heck do you want me to do?" I gave up.

The key failed. Twice.

The front desk looks like a third-world family business. I saw as many as six people behind the counter at one time, all having a wonderful time with each other, chatting on the phone, etc. They will actually IGNORE YOU for a while. I have been told this is common in some cultures, so enjoy broadening your international experience without the hassle of showing a passport.

The rooms are cramped and somewhat outdated, I never got the wi-fi to work (maybe not their fault, to be fair, but they were pretty useless when I called to get details on the signal; surprising, because they sounded exactly like call-center operators), the lights are terribly dim, there is filth in corners and ledges and fixtures, the beds are not only hard but so unbelievably hard that sleeping on the carpet was an improvement, and the door was off one hinge. The slam needed to close it probably would wake the entire floor (and likely explains the many slams we heard). When I told the clerk at checkout about the door, I was told that I should have lifted the door as I closed it. I gave up.

As for the danger part-- EVERY hotel should lock outside doors and restrict access to guests and staff. Certainly, A HOTEL WITH SUCH FREQUENT POLICE VISITS SHOULD LOCK THE OUTSIDE DOORS. I was stunned to find that signs, in addition those announcing that no firearms were allowed, stated "These doors are locked for your protection" on doors where the latching mechanisms were permanently removed. Most hotel rating agencies will not allow your property to be listed if there is such open access. IT IS DANGEROUS AND THIS HOTEL IS GOING TO BE SUED BACK TO THE STONE AGE ONE DAY IF SOMEONE IS INJURED BECAUSE OF THIS HAZARDOUS AND RISKY SITUATION. Ambulance chasers take note!

If you've read this far you're wondering why anyone would stay here. The place was PACKED, in fact. Quite simply, it is very inexpensive. The rooms are equipped with a desk & chair, desk lamp, an easy chair (much more comfortable than the bed), nightstands with one lamp, remote control TV & DVD in a cabinet (found out the batteries were almost dead-- the remote worked only within three feet of the TV-- on the second morning, when we first tried to use it), fridge, microwave, some disposable cups, manual small coffeepot with 2 filter-bags of regular coffee and a handful of sweetener. AC/heat unit worked flawlessly and very well. It was functional and would be worth the price paid if the other details weren't so darn annoying (and don't forget dangerous).

It was ten dollars less than the Red Roof Inn across the street on the nights we were there. That ten bucks would have been well spent. I regret not checking out and staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Oh, they have at least one room with a whirlpool.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank MikeyDaNut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

My friends and I were traveling from Baltimore md and we left rather late so we called to let them know what time we would arrive. When we got there the first thing we noticed was the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke. We were tired from our 4 hour drive and just wanted to check in and fall asleep. The clerk gave us nothing but attitude and took forever checking us in. We booked two rooms, my friend and I were staying in one room while my other two friends stayed in the other. The rooms smelled like mildew, sweat, and smoke. I hopped the shower after thoroughly rinsing it out. While I was in the shower my friends asks the front desk if she could have some bleach and other cleaning supplies so that she could clean the toilet amongst other things. The clerk ask "Why!?" and she explains she doesn't feel comfortable with using the toilets. So they send housekeeping up to the room and housekeeping has an attitude the moment they walk in saying "why the f**k do I have to clean this room at 1 in the morning, I just cleaned this room!" they weren't talking directly to us but they clearly wanted us to hear it. Before they leave they ask in a sarcastic tone would we like to inspect their work. Once they leave my friend calls to the front desk to complain of the service we just received and the clerk starts to yell at her over the phone and proceeds to hang up on her. So she goes down to the front desk where they approach her and stand in her face yelling, so she yells back and they scream to security "get that b***h out of here!" Security escorts her up the elevator and I meet them there and she explains to me what happened even though I could hear most of it 1 floor up. While she's explaining, we're getting our friends and telling them we have to leave. Security then says that we're being too loud and we "...better calm down" we pay him no mind and continue our convo. While she's explaining to our friends the situation. Security throws cuffs on her and takes her down stairs. I then have to carry all of our luggage downstairs when I get downstairs I tell the security guard that I have to tell my friend where we will be. He says you have to leave. While I'm still talking he grabs my arm and shoves me against the wall face first and starts yelling "You're resisting arrest, you're resisting arrest!" then throws me to the ground while I still have a 75 lb backpack on and puts cuffs on me. Then tries to take the backpack off of me while the cuffs are on. The police then came and took our story and released us.

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had. I hope someone shuts that place down.

• Stayed August 2011
14 Thank Easygoingdude
Washingotn, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Sherome is the GM and daughter of this family owned business. She is nasty, fabricates the truth and sics security guards on consumers who dare not to allow her to get away with it. My "attempted" stay and experience was the worst ever! They talk down to customers ...as if the consumer is inconveniencing them! She and her father, Ray Patel the owner who just as looney as she is, doesn't believe in providing a lick of quality customer service and are quick to charge your credit card with NO refund the minute you make your reservation! They both fabricate the truth and make up events that didn't happen. I am appalled, disgusted and offended! Please do not stay here, trust me it wont be pleasant!

Room Tip: stayt next door at the marriott!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo