“Don't do it”

Ranked #36 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
New York
“Don't do it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

I stayed here and there was a couple of hookers working the area. I am pretty sure the guy next door was strung out on something. He would crawl out and just lay half in and half out of the room. Then a couple of rooms down there was about 6 gun shots and people screaming and running about 2am. Then a few minutes later there was I think return fire. Top it off it took cops 40 minutes to show up. I can't beleave what had happen there in the motel. Never will I stay in a hotel with Hookers standing around outside with a drug pusher trying to sell me CRACK. Don't stay here unless you want this crap to happen to you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank addurden
super8chesapeakeva, Webmaster at Quality Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Super 8 Chesapeake Greenbrier for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about your report of hookers and drug pushers on the property. Also about your report of gunfire and police intervention. Ways were discussed in which our valued guests could be greater safe guarded.

We take our reviews very seriously. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Super 8 Chesapeake Greenbrier. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

After reading all the reviews I thought it couldn't be as bad as others had experienced. It actually started off fairly well with a very friendly front desk manager. This is also where it fell apart. The rooms were very dirty. Towels seemed to be picked up off the floor and put back on the towel rack, rug seemed barely swept, tub had visible filth, and one chair looked to have dried puke on it. There was a smashed spider on the floor of the bathroom when we entered, then saw two roaches run across the floor. Bed spread had various stains, and of course there were many burns and stains from cigarettes in a non-smoking room.

Please spend the extra $20 and save yourself a nightmare.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Filthy room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank IdaGrl
Dear Guest,

• The desk manager received our commendation for the courteous manner in which he treated you, our valued guest.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of roaches seen in the room assigned to you. They were instructed to look into the matter and see to any necessary extermination.

Hotel Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Chesapeake hotels

S.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

I recently needed to book a place to stay for one night in Chesapeake, VA. Super 8 is well advertised, and one would think it would a pretty decent place to stay -- not very expensive, but of some standard. However, this dump appeared to have no standards.

My first warning to leave should have been the two apparently drunken men standing in front of the building smoking or the Plexi-glass window that was at the front desk. Unfortunately, I did not want to sacrifice the $80 one night stay fee I would be charged for cancellation. It was also around 10:00-10:30pm, and my family and I had been traveling all day. Knowing better, I paid.

The hotel is dingy and dirty. As one other review indicates, you simply feel dirty stepping into this place. The room was dirty and cramped, and the air conditioning did not work.

The first thought was to wash the little one up and get him ready for bed. On stepping into the bathroom, my girlfriend let out a yell. The bathroom floor was sticky. Literally, she had some kind of "ick" sticking to her feet. By that time, her son was already in the tub. She got him out and sat him on her lap to dry and dress him. A little investigation revealed a leaking, moldy toilet and sink in addition to the dirty floor.

No sooner had they stepped out of the bathroom when her little boy let out a yell. A rather large cockroach was crawling around in the room, making its way up the wall. Of course we killed it. By that time, everyone was upset and ready to just get out of the place.

As she started calling the front desk, we noticed what appears to be an empty pill casing lying on the floor. (Next to the cigarette burns in this "non-smoking" room.)

Of course, it was impossible to get a refund (despite a sign indicating that we could at the front desk) until the next morning when the manager was available. We told the person at the front desk that this was not acceptable because of having to drop off someone for an AM flight out of Norfolk; however, it was to no avail. We told them we were leaving anyway. Some skinny brunette that worked there did walk in, exclaimed "Oh my God" and left... but nothing else.

Overall, this place is horrible and filthy. It is much more appropriate if you plan to stay by the hour rather than by the day.

If you must stay in this dump pay with a credit card. At least then you can dispute the charge that is going to eventually show up. (Thats what I'm going to do.)

I've posted pictures of what was there. Stay at your risk... even better stay somewhere else. Maybe this place will go out of business.

• Liked — Getting out alive
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank maxnsc
Dear Guest,

• Management was approached about the meaning of the sign saying that refunds would be available and what one had to do to qualify.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of a roach in the room assigned to you and instructed to look into the matter and see to any necessary extermination.

Port Jefferson, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

I stayed at this motel for one night. Before my arrival I read all the previous comments
and was worried. Once, being there my mind changed. The place was fine. Meaning fine, don't
expect to see a Mariott, or Hilton enviroment but expect a typical Super 8 enviroment: Small
lobby, indian descent hotel personel, not rude but also not extreme friendly personel,
etc. In other words expect no surprises. My room was clean. No problems at all. Little noisy
at night because of the busy road passing by. Try to get rooms away from this road - mention
that when you book rooms (Rt 168 is the road). Next to the hotel is a Waffle house which
operates 24 hours. Additionally, there are a number of restaurants around the area. Area
around the motel is also very safe. You might experience some confusion if you travel there
at that time since they do construction work along highway 264 close to this super 8. In
summary, the hotel is suggested. I would agree with a previous reviewer that the motel is not
worthy $80 for a night. But, what can you do? Everything around this area is so
overprized!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank grevo77
Richmond
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

I stayed at this hotel in 2006, and found it fairly clean, and good enough for its inexpensive price. So I returned in 2007, and found the experience terrible. The room was dirty, with pizza sauce stuck to the table. And the bathtub had a permanent layer of dirt.

The toilet backed up that night. We finally got someone to "fix" it at about 10:00PM. A guy showed up with a plunger, splashed toilet water all over our bathroom, then told us it was fixed.

The next morning, it still wasn't fixed. I had to be somewhere early in the morning, so I opted to use the bathroom across the street at Dunkin Donuts. When I got back to the hotel at noon, I asked to check out a night early. They refused. I told them I was more than reasonable by paying full price for a night in a room that didn't have a working toilet. And I asked that they would be reasonable and give us our money back for the following, which we didn't intend to stay. They still refused.

The best they could do was give us a 5 dollar refund. I finally told her that the room was filthy, and I would never return. She said, "THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE SAYS."

• Liked — Dunkin Donuts across the street
  • Disliked — No working toilet, filthy accomodations
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VirginiaTrav
Dear Guest,

• Management was approached about the problem you experienced with the toilet in the room assigned to you and it was discussed as to whether or not you should receive some amount of refund for the inconvenience.

• Maintenance was informed of the continuing problem with the toilet in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to it’s repair.

Mideast U.S.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2007

This is one of those hotel rooms that you feel a little dirtier just for being in it. I'd stay this room is worth $30 a night. I paid about $70 with a AAA discount and it was not worth it. Next time I have to stay in the area I'll find a cleaner place.

Stained sheets and comforters. Wallpaper peeling off the walls. Afraid to even pick up a mattress corner and see if there were bed bugs.

Additionally, checkout was at 11:00. I went over to the Waffle Hut in the morning to grab breakfast (had not checked out) and came back to my room before 11:00 and found that the maids had opened the door and stripped all the beds w/o me even checking out of the room. So, I was not able to get back in to use the bathroom and was instead offered a FILTHY employee bathroom in the laundry room.

I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Waffle Hut
  • Disliked — Poorly maintained, stained and dirty.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank kitertodd
Dear Guest,

• Housekeeping was informed that it is not appropriate to prepare the room for future occupancy until the present occupant has checked out.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2006

When we had made our reservations we had clarified it was for the 8th of July. Well when we got to the hotel they had it down for the 7th and was chargin us for that day. We then asked did you already charge the card, "no ma'am we have not" so we paid in cash, for the 8 th when we were supposed to stay.

When we get to our room, the switch on the wall has to be turned on in order for the tv to work ok no big deal. well then we have to go back to the desk and ask for a portable crib, b/c it says on the wesite these are availible. NONE, we have a 3 month old and a 2 and a half year old. so we ask for a roll away bed for my lil brother who is the 2 year old.... we would of had to pay $6 dallors for this $6 isnt that supposed to be free????? so we ask for extra pillows they give us one, and i have to ask agian extra PILLOWS and we got 2 all together.

When we arrive home after all the hassel (there is more i just dont feel liek typin it) my mom checks her bank account, there is $84.74 missin out of it.... I wonder why lets think, they CHARGED IT ANYWAYS!!!!!!!!! so not only did they get cash they also got credit!!!!! so we called up there and she asked for the manager, "oh hes not here right now."
"well when will he be in?"
"oh he out of town for a while."
"well i need to speak to some one who KNOWS what they are doin!"
so needless to say he is the manager and we already know this, but he tried to say he already credited it back to the card, well at the time he was doing. He never did before he thought he was goint o get away with it.

Not only that its supposed to not allow animals there was a dog across the room form ours cryin adn barkin granted i wanted to get it b/c tehy had left he room, but they have a sign posted no animals in the front.

there was also a hair tie by the side of my bed, it looked as though they dont clean that well at all...

i say if you want your money played with or your stuff taken like the first guy then stay here other then that i say find a better place save yourself the trouble

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

• Management and registration staff were approached about ways in which registrations could be made to show exactly what had been made.

• Management was approached about having cribs etc shown as available on the website available at the premises.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Super 8 Chesapeake Greenbrier. We take our reviews very seriously and I think you will be greatly pleased.