“Horrible experience”

Ranked #36 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Frankfort, Kentucky, United States
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

First, I would actually rate this hotel "0", but you cannot do that on this program! When my son (and 7 year old granddaughter) first checked in, they were sent to a hotel room that upon entry, a woman was laying on the bed! How horrible to think that this could happen to you - someone else just enter your room at any time. (I have pictures) - shower head about to fall off, bathroom door not shutting due to broken at top, burn holes in bedspread, stained sheets (or maybe just not washed?), MOLD in the dresser drawers and a very dangerous looking rigged electrical outlet. We had reserved for 6 nights. Between the potential problems (mold and electric) and the fact that the front desk gives out keys to rooms already booked - WE DID NOT STAY ONE NIGHT. We put son and granddaughter on floor in an overcrowded condo and booked the Red Roof Inn for the remaining stay. They will not refund the first night's stay (although front desk said they would mail a check the next day). DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: I did not search Trip Advisor - this was last minute addition of my son and his daughter at a family...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lavon C
super8chesapeakeva, Webmaster at Quality Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Super8 for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and we take it seriously however unlikely it can be.

Upon receipt of your review the following step was taken:

• The owner was apprised about the situation and assured that the rooms will be thoroughly checked and cleaned before checking in a new guest.

• Hotel maintenance staffs have been apprised of the points mentioned by you. They have investigated and all the amenities of all rooms have been completely updated.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Country Hearth Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Martinsville, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Do not stay here! Just plain filthy does not even begin to explain the condition of this establishment! Charged 87 dollars plus tax and that was a discounted rate, to find out the room it's self isn't worth 40!!! I'd sleep in my car before I'd stay there again!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jay_H_81

Thank you for choosing the Super8 for your recent stay in our area.

Thanks for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance Staff was informed to look into the various observations about the room upkeep as mentioned in the review of the room assigned to you and instructed to see to any necessary repairs.

• The unlikely event of the charge has been investigated and steps taken to avoid such incidences and inconvenience to our guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at the Econo Lodge.

We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Chesapeake hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you like beds with blood, urine and God knows what else on them. If you like to have a sore throat from the stench of smoke. If you like your clothes and skin to be permeated with a funky smell. If you like your socks to turn brown within minutes. If you like the power to go out and no one to apologize for the inconvenience. If you like to see prostitutes comes and go. If you like room service (who lives in the motel) to tell you they aren't changing your bed sheets. If you like to see homeless people with shopping carts sitting next to your car. If you like to touch remotes, phones, tv's and get a weird nasty film on your fingers that smells, then by all means book at this motel!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Travel G

Thank you for choosing the Super8 for your recent stay in our area.

We are sorry that it wasn’t the experience you had anticipated, whatever may have went wrong.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We take our reviews very seriously.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. Complete pest control and fumigation has been done.

• The desk clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated and also to stop the movements of non guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose us for your stay and you can experience the change.

Jackson, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were traveling south and needed a hotel to stay in for the night. We chose Motel 8 simply for the value, but that is all I can say about this hotel. The room didn't have anything special to brag about. Actually, the mattresses were quite springy. Every time someone rolled over, it made the other person bounce, so nobody received any sleep. There was nothing served at breakfast except orange juice and stale donuts. Some people in the parking lot told my husband that the bikes and golf cart we were hauling on a trailer better be secured for the night because the area was not a good one in this town. That alone kept us uneasy all night. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
st paul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I just needed a simple room for a short night passing through. I admit I was a little suspect seeing Waffle House next door, sorry but it tends to get a late night crowd. Chaos at check-in as guy told me I was lucky since they were over-booked and many people would arrive and not have a room. So basically take what I give you. I requested to not have a room on the first floor as a single female traveler but had no options to change. Desk clerk was helpful but over-whelmed. I don't begrudge him.
Cool, I can live with what room I get. Nasty walk down the halls with nasty carpet and people arguing and yelling at 4 pm, dog barking in one room. My room, hmmm. Window glass had been broken and repaired with glue??/ screen was broken and looked like it had been jimmied, and window did not lock. I was below level so I got to watch the young kids walk by, looking into my room, yelling, constant noise. I walked around the grounds, beer bottles, trash everywhere.
TV remote did not work, microwave did not work, electrical outlets did not work, no wake-up call. 2am started with rap music and thump/thump/ thump lasting what seemed forever. I was fortunate enough to have the wi-fi work so I was able at 3am to book a 6am flight out of there.
I passed this info along to the nite staff who told me it was just kids being kids and it was a good neighborhood. I don't know, I live inner city St Paul and it isn't that bad around here. I was just so thankful at 3am when I left that my $35K rental car was still intact. I am not high end person, at home drive 99 Jeep Cherokee, and do not have expensive tastes but this place was scary. On a good note, the towels were clean, shower hot, room was clean as it could have been. Still I slept in clothes. But safety wise, avoid if you have anything of value, like your life.........or else maybe avoid on a weekend nite.
So no gunfire, a good thing but as I left at 3am I heard room next door, drunk, arguing and yelling. Glad to be out out there. Never again. I will challenge this charge. $70 too much for what I received.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank reckasue
, Webmaster at Quality Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Super 8 Chesapeake Greenbrier for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received our commendation for the level of cleanliness which they maintained as our employees in cleaning the room assigned to us.

• Housekeeping received additional instruction in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees in cleaning the halls.

• Management was approached about seeing to it that our valued guests and others remember to be thoughtful of fellow valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed that the tv remote, the electrical outlets, and the microwave in the room assigned to you did not work. They were instructed to see to any necessary repairs or replacements.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Super 8 Chesapeake Greenbrier. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Nags Head, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

Upon arrival, we realized the one bed in the room was a double and not a queen as was the size reserved. When I called the front desk, I was told he had no knowledge of which rooms have queen size beds and he couldn't do anything about it. This caused my husband and I to have to sleep one in the bed and the other on a chair with the ottoman. My husband, who is disabled, walked to the front desk to ask for an extra pillow and another blanket (there were only two small pillows on the bed and one blanket). The front desk attendant was nasty and said, "Isn't there already a blanket and pillows in there?" My husband said yes, but we needed more. He was given them but not willingly. There was only one set of towels in the bathroom. The sink and tub would only drain if I either pulled the lever under the sink or pried the tub plug with a knife. The "breakfast" was horrible. The coffee was okay, but all that was offered for food was tiny donuts covered with chocolate or powdered sugar, and two sugar-coated dry cereals. I didn't try the juice in the machine since I can't drink citrus. I know the rooms are priced on the cheap side, but it's a crime to suggest this "food" is listed as a breakfast. Since we stayed overnight to get to an early-morning doctor's visit, we had hoped to be able to eat something at the hotel to save time, but thankfully there is an IHOP nearby that provided us some nutritious food. I was really disappointed that when I mentioned the bed issue to the front desk attendant before leaving that I wasn't offered anything for our discomfort. Since we will be making a monthly trip to this area, I had hoped to be able to find a good place to stay, but this is definitely NOT the one we'll be staying in.

Room Tip: Make sure the right size bed is in the room before unloading everything. Don't expect to get br...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank heffzone
super8chesapeakeva, Webmaster at Quality Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us a review, the following actions were taken:

• Management was approached about making sure that there is a system by which the front desk attendants can tell the size beds in the rooms and that the attendants receive proper instruction in using the system.

• The front desk attendant received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you encountered with the drain in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Super 8 Chesapeake Greenbrier, I think you will be greatly pleased.

Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

i don't see what everyone is complaining about. i had a perfectly adequit experience. the motel was quiet, and nice enough. Factoring in the price, i would say it was great. This was the cheapest advertised hotel i could l find in chesapeake. You get what you pay for. If you want something like a marriot, go stay at a marriott and spend 2-3 times as much. My room was clean and did not smell of smoke, even though i was in a smoking room. The check in, check out, and maid staff all seemed friendly enough to me. I stay in the area a lot. i rarely have to get a hotel, but i will keep going back to this one. If fact i'm going back there tongiht.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple