“You get what you paid for”

Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed June 29, 2014

If you looking for overnight stay than only two thing sleep quality and cleaningness should matter. This motel provides both of them.

Props:
1. Comfortable bed.
2. Clean bathroom
3. Wifi worked for us.

Cons:
1. Breakfast should be included.
2. Rooms have safe locker but no refrigerator or microwave oven.

Room Tip: Any room should be fine.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with others. I am glad you enjoyed the clean and comfortable room. Next time that you are in the area, you might want to try our Superior King room. It comes with microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, and coffee maker for just a few dollars more. Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

So this hotel totally surprised me. The beds were comfy and the room was very clean. The house keepers were very nice and super friendly. I forgot my IPad in the room after check out and they called me right away. They even mailed it to me!!! Awesome staff I will stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Maria R
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Maria R,
Thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed the comfy room and my staff. Most importantly, I am glad that your Ipad made it safely back to you. Thanks again for choosing us for your lodging needs.
We will look forward to seeing you, the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The best thing about Red Roof is that they are pet friendly and they do not charge you a paw and a back leg! Staff was nice! The location is proximity to Norfolk and Va. beach so it was a life saver for us because we had to bring the dog! I would suggest locking and using the safe provided there were some late night people just sitting in cars in the parking lot at 2 am after coming back from concert in Norfolk arguing and playing loud music! Did not last long after I took my dog a walk! Woof! Woof!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Guest,
We are so glad to hear that you and your dog enjoyed your stay with us. Being pet friendly, we are a convenient choice for guests going to the beach or attending concerts in Virginia Beach. We enjoyed all of the "Parrot Heads" that were in town for the Jimmy Buffet concert.
We hope to see you next time that you are in the area.
Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed two days the weekend before last. We had a very good experience. Ronnie was particularly helpful in assisting us with local information and directions. We like the cost vs the benefits: WiFi worked fine. Staff was very nice at all times. We attended a function at the Chesapeake Conference Center and we only needed to walk across the Marriott parking lot and we were there. All in all, we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gary L
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Dear Gary L,
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chesapeake while attending your function.
We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.
Thank very much for sharing your experience with others

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This Red Roof Inn (Come on you know it's going to be clean, it's a Red Roof!) is exceptional. I made the mistake of taking a packed car of friends to Virginia beach, but was not punished by the rate of booking 2 rooms for us. It came out to be the same price as most hotels of similar quality would charge you for one room! Thank you Red Roof Inn Chesapeake. ALSO don't be fooled fellow land-lubbers. This motel is a zip to the beach if you just hop on I-264 and plan to stay there a few hours, then the drive is not bad at all!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Sawyer C,
Thank you for sharing your most recent visit with others. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our renovated rooms and were able to save quite a bit of money by staying here in Chesapeake. We hope to see you again soon on your next trip to the beach.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed here two nights while on a trip to the Hampton Roads area to visit with some friends. Chose this motel because of the price and the location, and it was a good choice.

Check-in was efficient and fast, even though there were several people checking in at the same time and only one clerk.

I have come to like the superior king rooms at Red Roof because of the amenities and the room layout. I can find nothing to complain about as far as the room itself is concerned. The bed was comfortable, the room was very clean, the wi-fi was fast and dependable, there were more channels available on the TV than what was listed on the printed guide (and more than I've found in most Red Roofs where I've stayed), the microwave and fridge were functional, and the shower water pressure was among the best I've found at a motel or hotel (almost as strong as home).

Don't know where the previous reviewer got the idea that there's no maid service. The housekeeper knocked on my door before I was finished dressing for my meeting with my friends. When I got back that evening, the room was done (bed made, fresh toiletries and towels, garbage cans emptied, etc.)

There are only a couple of drawbacks, neither of which caused me to back off my "excellent" rating. One is the fact that there's a bar or club nearby, where the music thumps loudly. I didn't know where it was coming from until one of the customers in a nearby room told me. You also hear noise from people outside if they are talking in anything above a library voice, or if they are walking on the walk with loud heels. In addition, the motel is 100 percent non-smoking, which is something I like, but the smokers stand outside their rooms to smoke and the smell can waft into your room, especially if you have your door open carrying stuff in while they are smoking nearby.

There's plenty of shopping and dining nearby (most of it on the other side of I-64) but I only saw three fast food places in close proximity (Taco Bell, Wendy's and Burger King). There's a Wawa adjacent for sandwiches or snacks.

If I ever need to travel back to the south side of Hampton Roads, I'll definitely consider staying here again. You can't beat the price for the product received. Count me as a satisfied customer.

Room Tip: Try to get something on the other side of the bar where the loud music plays.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank millenniumhwy

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us. I am very glad to hear that your enjoyed your stay.
I am especially glad to hear that you like the new tv package and non smoking policy.
We hope you had a great visit to the area. We look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the area.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The saying goes, "You get what you pay for". In my opinion, a hotel at the very minimum standards should supply a clean room, polite service and housekeeping services as advertised. This hotel did not. It seems that this hotel concentrates on being "cheap" rather than being an actual value, exploiting those who have a necessity to travel on a budget. However, I'll begin with the positives:

Pros - wooden floors, good location, "cheap" price, clean sheets, hot water

The only reason I would recommend staying at this hotel is if you are tight on a budget, and I say this because there are plenty of hotels in the same area (nixing out 'location') but mostly because the bad outweighs the good.

Upon checking in, the front desk rep was neither polite nor rude to me. She was, however, rude to my husband - although she did not know he was staying with me at the time. But I don't think that should matter either way.

Being a former native of the area, I am well aware that the Red Roof has a rep for being a sleazy hotel, and staying there for 5 nights proved this to be true. At night, especially on the weekend, there are always stray men standing outside their rooms to smoke. The parking lot is filled up by 11pm but emptied by 3 or 4am. There is the occasional music thumping which may disturb light sleepers.

This hotel also provides no housekeeping services. They do not make the beds, vacuum the floors, change the trash, etc. during your stay. Luckily, my family and I only stayed there to sleep. When we left in the morning and returned at night, they didn't even replace the toilet paper, everything was left a mess even though I left very little personal items there (to ensure they wouldn't feel uncomfortable moving my things), they didn't vacuum/sweep the floors, etc. The only thing they provided were clean towel which were placed next to the sink.

I also had problems with the AC/heating unit. The room heated up extremely fast and was very stuffy. Not a deal breaker, but may be for someone with sensitive sinuses.

The absolute worst thing about this hotel was the COCKROACHES. In the daytime they were nowhere to be seen but don't turn out those lights! None, thank God, were in the bed area but there were plenty by the sink/bathroom mirror. Since we were gone the majority of the day, there was no food there to attract them so there was an infestation in the hotel itself.

In all, if you must travel or must stay at a hotel and you are working with a budget, staying at the Red Roof Inn will not kill you. However, if you can spare a little extra cash and are only looking a the "great location" go somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank F D
Red-Roof-Inn-Manager, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chesapeake Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your most recent experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the new room décor, location and price. I apologize that we fell short in some of your expectations.
We have recently converted to a non smoking property. I regret that some of the guests may have made you uncomfortable by smoking outside of the room. I would be interested in hearing more about your other concerns and our monthly pest elimination contractor will want to be made aware of any issues as well.
Please feel free to contact me at 757-523-0123 or at i0154@redroof.com so that we can properly address these concerns.
Thanks again for sharing your experience.