“Decent Room For Price”

WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I checked in to this location last Tuesday and the staff was helpful. The room was clean and it was pretty quiet. I felt safe. Overall it's a nice place to stay temporarily (maybe 1 or 2 weeks if you must) but can get pricey. The only negative in my opinion was the $100 deposit charged to my debit card during check-in that was refunded and still has not posted in my account yet. I was under the impression that it would be posted directly back to my account upon check out but was advised by Value Place staff that it's my bank and not them. So apparently I need to wait 3-5 business days to see my deposit refunded. Such BS in my opinion that a $100 deposit needed to even be charged in the first place.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank sc0rpio2105
Heather L, Guest Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I understand your frustration about the deposit. We are required to refund the deposit in the same currency we collected it. Unfortunately with debit and credit cards that means that it can take 3 - 5 business days for the money to actually show up. We process the refund right away but the credit card company takes several additional days to process it.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I'm not sure where to begin....I travel frequently and thought I'd save the govt some money by staying here instead of a respectable hotel, but all I got was headaches. I'll start with saying the two front desk clerks were very nice, but their hands were tied and they constantly had to ask the property manager to do anything. the property manager should be fired. She was extremely rude, inconsiderate, and was aggressive over the phone, and actually hung up on me, when all I wanted to do was explain my situation. The property manager actually told me over the phone she was not the manager, and that the manager would be from 9-5, when I asked her name, she said this is "so and so". Turns out "so and so" is the property mananger. Well I filled a formal complaint with corporate headquarters and talked to the regional manager face to face a few days later and she was very nice and understanding. If the property manager is going to treat me, an active duty marine with that type of unwarranted hostility, I don't even want to know how she talks to a single parent down on their luck looking for a place to stay. The only good thing about this place is it is cheap. But it's not worth it. It smells bad, they have fees for everything and don't even tell you about it, they just charge your card, and as the manger told me, they are only available to handle problems between 9-5 so you can kiss customer service goodbye. Additionally...the beds are a mattress on plywood, the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, they don't trust you with lamps and the lighting is terrible, people cook and it smells like a kitchen 24/7. Avoid this place at all costs! I will never stay at this establishment again, and do not recommend it my active duty brothers and sisters as well as anyone else. Spend the couple extra bucks and get treated fairly and with some shred of respect somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank LenN_13
WoodSpringHotels, Public Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Chesapeake-Norfolk South, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2016

Len, I apologize you had a negative experience during your stay. We do hope speaking with the regional manager helped to some degree. We wish you well and thank you for your service.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stay at hotels roughly 15 weekends a year, andt he room was the most impeccably clean I can ever remember walking into: Not a speck
of dust anywhere, and no lingering pungent sprays that are often used to cover up poor housekeeping and smoking guests. That's especially hard to pull off in a room with a refrigerator and stove.

Room furnishings are geared toward efficiency. The bed was firm (good) and the pillows thin (not). There was a small dining table and four seats. All the lighting was ceiling based (no floor or table lamps) and used energy-efficient fluorescent daylight bulbs, all of which was disconcerting at first but I got used to it over my week's stay. I was a bit puzzled by the absence of plates, glassware, utensils, and cooking equipment. And an earlier reviewer is correct that you can pick these things up at Walmart for about a third of what the hotel charges to rent them. While I am sure that providing these items free would drive up the cost of a room (I'll bet many of them would disappear with guests), it does seem inconvenient for guests to have to buy them, then pack or discard them at the end of their stay.

The internet connection is reliable, inexpensive ($10 a week) and reasonably fast, but know that it is NOT a wireless connection, it's an (old fashioned) Ethernet connection. The hotel was quick to get me an Ethernet cable when I let them know I didn't have one, but you might want to pack your own if you are booking a stay here.

The staff is exceedingly friendly to their guests. When I met the manager on the first
morning of my stay, she said, "Oh, hi, ...I remember talking with you on the phone when you booked your reservation!" Especially impressive when you consider I booked it four months earlier.
Several times during the first day, I walked up to the front desk somewhat frustrated because I'd been unable to connect to the Internet and I had business deadlines to meet. A staff member handed me an email from their service's support team received suggesting things I could try. When those didn't work, the manager proactively came down to my room, picked up my laptop, and solved the problem herself so that I could quickly get to work

Over the next week or so, I had nothing but positive interactions with the rest of the front desk staff, maintenance tech, and housekeeping. Without fail, I found them pleasant, helpful, and eager to make my stay as much like home as they possibly could. A weary traveler can't hope for more than that, even at a four-star facility!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Geoff C

We are glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised after staying with WoodSpring Hotels. We hope you will stay with us again and will continued to be surprised.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

My three children and I stayed here for a week in August. Based on all the reviews, this was a reasonable and affordable place to stay while we visited our friends. During our very first night, I knew it was going to be a rough stay.

First of all, the pros. The staff is very nice and accommodating, and friendly.

Now to the cons. And there are a lot of them. First off... the walls are so paper thin, you can hear every single word your neighbors are saying. We had a double bed room on the first floor and you could hear the elevator every time it went up and down. You could hear everything our extremely loud neighbors were saying.

The office doesn't open until 10am, and closes at 10pm except for weekends, and the times they decide to close early. Trying to find a staff member to speak to during times we were actually in the hotel was difficult. Our neighbors arrived back nightly around 11, partied until 1 or 2 in the morning, with their children screaming, the tv blaring and their loud conversations waking up everyone in our room.

Not even the air conditioner could drown them out because it was constantly on and then off. On off. It would not stay consistently on.

I asked to be changed, no extra rooms.

Two beds... four people... two towels.

Take our your own trash to the dumpster.

Don't go outside late at night because there are men loitering in the parking lot at all hours of the night. For a woman traveling by herself with young children, this is of great concern.

There was an ant superhighway going through my room. I took pictures. No one seemed to concerned. We had to wear shoes because they bit. There were also roaches on the counter. I got up in the middle of the night for a drink, flipped on the light, and six roaches scrammed for the burners in the stove. I only managed to get one of the buggers.

I was able to go to walmart and buy a complete set of dishes AND a coffee pot for a third of the cost they were selling them. You'd think, for an extended stay hotel with kitchenettes, they would supply dishes to cook with, which brings me to another point. Whatever your neighbors are having for dinner, you are having, too, because the smell will permeate everything in your room. Although we didn't eat there, our room smelled of raman and curry every night when we returned.

We did not have maid service or towel service, yet we were charged for it. They also tried to charge me a hundred dollars more than what I was quoted when I booked. Its a good thing I brought my original conformation paperwork with me.

The beds. I have never slept on a mattress so hard and uncomfortable that I actually hurt waking up in the morning. I looked forward to getting out of the bed.

Over all, I am so glad I brought extra pillows, towels, and everything else I thought I might need during our week here. I will not ever ever be returning to this place. I will gladly pay the extra cost for a "real" hotel, with room cleaning, fresh (and enough) towels for everyone, and the feeling of security and that I'm not alone. Not having someone at a desk of help is needed is really discomforting.

Value Place FAIL.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank surfergirl602

It is good to know you enjoyed our staff during your stay. However, I apologize the rest of your stay didn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My daughter spent a lengthy time here . The staff watched over her like she was part of the family. When Ricky noticed she was disoriented he highly recommended she go to the hospital. She did and found she was having a stroke. Because of his quick thinking it saved her life. I will forever be grateful for all the staff for their kindness and attentiveness to my daughter. Their customer service is outstanding. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Laura R

This is such an amazing story. Thank you for sharing Laura, and hope to have you and your family as our guests again.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The staff and comfort of the facility were wonderful. I would recommend this hotel to others. The staff at the front desk always greet us with a smile and gives us a sense of home. They are very helpful at all times. I will most gladly use this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: all the rooms seem to be of comfort.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you are looking for a temporary place to stay especially for an extended period you should definitely check here first. I visited all the other ones in this area and glad we settled here. We had to find a temporary home as our new home is not going to be ready until August 1st. We have been here at the Value Place for three weeks and I have never felt more at home. Granted this hotel does not have a pool or a restaurant but I for one do not miss those because I believe that having does amenities is what drives up the price. My family and I have been able to make this our home because our double room (nice size room for four people) is furnished with a Television (Cable TV), a two-burner stove, a full size refrigerator, two double beds that are raised off the ground and offers four compartments for storage under each. There is a laundry room on the first floor that very clean. The washers ($1.50) wash the clothes cleaned and the dryers ($1.50) dry the clothes very well. I like that I don't have to worry about getting coins because I can get them from the front office staff. They offer a dish set and a coffee maker for a reasonable price but I had my own and decided paper plates and utensils were the better option during our stay.

I didn't have to worry about the iron or iron board because I brought my own. However, every time I go to the front office I can see the ironing boards hanging up in the back of the hotel laundry so I guess they aren’t checked out that often. I like the convenience of being able to change my linens (including the blankets and bedspreads) and towels every day. I was given the option when I checked in to reduce my bill by about $10/wk if I chose to use my own towels and wash my own linens.

This is my first review ever written online and wanted to do so because my family and I have been so comfortable here. All of the staff has been exceptional to deal with. They are professional and courteous. The best part is the actually live here on the property, which makes a huge difference. I can see that they take pride in their work because they also call this place home. Also, if there is anything about the room that I had a concern with, I brought it to their attention and they rectified it. I could call the names and point out something good about each one but that wouldn't be fair because they have all done an outstanding job taking care of my family so far but I do have to give a special thanks to the maintenance guy - he can do it all from front office to the back of the house.

This is more of an extended stay hotel so contract workers, students, families who need an apartment at an affordable price - this is a great option. There are grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience shops all within one mile. The hotel is conveniently located to the expressway but you cannot hear any traffic noise from inside the rooms. It is also surprising that I do not hear our neighbors through the walls. There are two floors designated just for smoking which is great because we had the option to be on a non-smoking floor since my daughter is asthmatic.

There are no frills here at the Value Place but you can make it a place that is comfortable for you during your stay. I am a germ-a-phobe so I really had to look hard to find a place that I would be comfortable staying for a month. So many hotels have complaints about bugs and I did not want to worry about that. Thankfully, Value Place fits the bill. They steam clean the rooms after every guest and have a long checklist they use to clean and inspect the room before every move in. The things that are most important to me are what make me glad that I chose Value Place:

1) Cleanliness 2) Service 3) Price 4) Location 5) Security

Now the beds are not the most comfortable but interestingly enough I got used to them. I used to get backaches sleeping in my own bed but I don't any more. I am now considering a firmer mattress when I move in to my new house. Also, there is no closet but there is a closet rack that holds a decent amount of clothes. I was disappointed about that a first but then I realized that not having a closet gave us more square footage in the room and storage space for our suitcases and bins. Also, I am sorry - even at 4 stars hotels, I take my own pillows - Just a personal preference. The staff was great and allowed me to return the pillows to the office.

I know this is a long review but this is my first review that I have ever written. My mother worked as a Director of Housekeeping at a major resort in the Virgin Islands for over 20 years so I have come to expect a level of service and cleanliness that most hotel do not measure up to. Value Place definitely fit the bill and I am so thankful we are able to call this our home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pat J

We can't thank you enough for your kind words, Pat. We hope you will stay with us again.