“Great accommodations”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chesapeake-Battlefield Blvd.
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Newark, United States
“Great accommodations”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We were very pleasantly surprised at the size and layout of our room / suite. I really like having the sink /vanity area separate from the toilet/shower area. As we begin our retirement, we will be sure to consider Hampton Inns more often in our travels.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Charlotte, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2014

After a week long visit in hectic Va Beach, this location was just the calm I needed. I could not here other guest and the comfort level was amazing. Breakfast was filling and well managed the whole morning. PLUS upon check out I was offer a to go bag for my long trip back to Charlotte NC. I reccomend this location to anyone and everyone. Business or Pleasure!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Compassion K
Winchester, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Great Customer Service from the time I checked in to the time I left. They even called my room to ask if I needed anything and if the room was acceptable. They also recommended a seafood restaurant which the food was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Danville, Virginia
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. There was no problem with bringing the dog and the room was nice and clean. We had a room with 2 queen beds and no problems sleeping. Our area was quiet and peaceful. We would stay at this hotel again because it is close to family and we had a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Zeblon, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Good location a lot of places to eat locally. Nice hotel. There is a sushi place across the street that is great. I was working at the hospital jut down the street. Why do I have to have at least 200 characters this is all I want to say.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My family (2 boys age 11 & 13, my husband) & I were all very disappointed with our recent stay (May 23-25) at the Hampton Inn Suites in Chesapeake. We were there to enjoy the weekend celebrating my grandmother's 85th birthday. We had book a King Room (224) well in advance. We arrived in town earlier than expected, so when we went to check in before check in time, our front desk clerk informed us that we could not check in until 3PM. Most hotels will allow you you to check in earlier. But that's okay . . . not a big deal.

PLEASE MAKE NOTE THAT THIS IS A PET FRIENDLY HOTEL! My real complaint is the smell in our room and especially when we cut on the air conditioning. I had no idea that this hotel was a pet friendly hotel, but when I found out, it explained the BAD ODOR in the room we stayed in.

In addition to the terrible odor we had to deal with for our two day stay, we were awakened by very loud tv noise at 1:00AM Saturday morning. After a few minutes, my husband banged on the wall of our "neighbors" with hopes that they would cut their tv down. The tv stayed loud. So he got dressed to go knock on the neighbors door. Come to find out, we were neighbors to the fitness center and someone had left the tv blaring! I feel that it is the front desk responsibilty to make sure the fitness center is locked and things are shut down. We finally went to sleep, but we were awakened again at 6AM by the noisy neighbors on the other side wall (226). Not the hotel fault though . . .these neighbors had 2 toddlers and a baby who sang and screamed at the top of thier lungs and talked loud for about 2hours straight. The Dad sang along with them!

Finally, our room was near and above the pool/hot tub area, so there was an extreme amount of humidity and dampness in the air. Again, when I cut on the air conditioning to cool things down and "dry" & clean the air, we got the terrible odor. Every piece of clothing that I put in the closet & drawers came home damp & smelly because of the humidity & odor. I definitely would not stay here again and would not recommend it to any one else. There are better places for less or the same amount of money. Overall, my stay at the Hampton Inn Suites was not a good experience.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly B
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I had booked with this Hampton Inn in early May for 3 days (5/22-5/24 - 3 nights). When I booked, I asked what was the cancellation policy as I always do and the lady told me 2 days. On 5/19 (3 days prior to my trip) I had decided that my husband and I would only stay at the Hampton 2 nights and stay Oceanfront VA Beach for 1 night. I called Hampton Inn. After being put on hold for about 15 minutes,I said, "Yes, I have reservations and I need to cancel one night". I said I am with the birthday party group. Immediately the man rudely told me "Mam, there is a 2 night minimum stay here." I responded, "Yes and I am booked for 3 nights but I need to cancel one of those nights." He put me on hold again for another 10 minutes. When he returned, I explained to him that I was at work and could hold no longer. He told me that he was looking for the person in charge of the contract and that she was not there so that he was now looking for his general manager. I asked him "Why can't you do the cancellation." He said Mam, I have other customers in line and you need to go through the person who did this contract and she is not here. I finally said, "As a matter of fact I would like to cancel the entire reservation. I do not like this customer service." He proceeded to rudely tell me that my account would be charged for two nights even if I cancelled. I told him that he could not do that because I was given well advance notice and I also said, "I can stay oceanfront with excellent customer service for less than the price that you guys are charging me." His response was rude and condescening and he said, "You cannot not stay anywhere on the beach for $103!" This is when I got really upset and asked to speak the manager. He told me that the manager was not here is only relaying the message from his manager. Again, I asked to speak with the mananger again. He put me into the manager's voicemail and I left message. -- The manager never called me back. This staff person had very bad customer service skills and I was particuliarly upset that the manager never called me back. My husband called the hotel and was able to arrange for us to cancel one night of our stay -- We ended up staying oceanfront for 1 night for ($103) at the Surfside Inn which was a comfortable hotel, excellent customer service with free breakfast and stayed the other 2 nights at this Hampton Inn for ($109 each night).

The room was comfortable at the Hampton Inn even though our window view was of the 2/3 level roof at the hotel. The breakfast was good, even though sausage was hiddent in the back kitchen and only certain people were able to get some. The location had many stores and restaurants. I travel to that area often from NOVA/DC and I will never use this hotel because of their poor customer service--The manager would not even call me back! This was very upsetting as I am a mananger (supervise front desk, telephone, and administrative assistant staff) and customer service is one of my companies values and we take it very serious. I would have called the customer back. This turned me off to Hampton Inns.

Further, if the Hampton Inn's policy is that people cannot cancel if they are with a party and there is a contract, they should let folks know that at the time of reservation (I was told that I could cancel 2 days prior to my check-in date). -- And all staff should know this policy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family