“A DUMP - ALOFT CHEASAPEAKE, VIRGINIA”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed February 3, 2011

My family of 5 and I stayed 2 nights at the Aloft in Chesapeake, Virginia October 22-24, 2010. Arriving at 4am after an 11 hour drive was a both a relief yet challenging. Hoping to put my 10 & 11 year old to bed, we were asked to wait 30 minutes the front desk clerk said we arrived at a time when he was rebooting the computers - both at the same time. Seeing that folks check-in to hotels at all hours it did not make sense to us yet we had no choice but to wait - annoying to say the least. No concessions or apologies given. My son asked how much was the tea bag, the guy responded only the coffee is free....wow! Wait, there's more.

Upon receiving our room keys we boarded the elevator and headed for the room. There was an unusual and funky smell on the 3rd floor hallway. We arrived in the double bed room, there was NO Clean Smell. The sheets had not appeared to be changed and the extra comforter was SOILED! There were YELLOW STAINS on the sheets - NICE! We mentioned the issues to the front desk clerk and got the LOOK - you know the 'WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO ABOUT IT??'

To top it all off the carpet had not been vacuumed and the extra towel request at time of reservation had gone ignored even though it was confirmed via 2 email messages received from this hotel. I had to call the front desk to request the towels eventually we took a short 3 hour nap and headed downstairs since no one was able to come up at 8:30am.

More pleasantries:
We departed on a Sunday morning. Fortunately there were 2 people at the front desk and a 2 lines. One of the agents disappeared leaving annoyed guests and the ROOKIE was left to figure out the check out process. Given she was nervous, I waited the 15 mins for the close-out folio. Before handing it to me she asked me to see a PHOTO ID??!! I reminded her I was CHECKING OUT. She said it did not matter and it was POLICY. DUMBFOUNDED by this nonsense - and now desperately wanting to leave this place I let it go which was easier said than done.

ATTENTION ALOFT EMPLOYEES: All of these incidents could have and should be avoided in the future. Providing CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT LIKE PULLING TEETH. It is a shame to do anything less and act like it never happened. Now that I have spoke my peace maybe, just maybe you will do something about the mess-ups!!!!!!!!!!!

CARE TO RECTIFY ALOFT???

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Cutiepie93

Reviewed January 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the aloft, Chesapeake, Virginia location while on business/leisure. It was our first stay here and we were pleasantly surprised at how quiet, clean and pleasant the rooms were. We traveled with our little dog, who was welcomed in one of the first floor rooms. We're not sure if the rooms have additional soundproofing qualities, but it was a quiet sleep considering the lounge/bar down the hall. I used the well-equipped fitness room (great treadmills for running), and admired the indoor swimming pool. The only drawback were the shades - not lightproof enough for my husband who had to sleep during the day due to working nights. The rooms also have a "whisper quiet" heating/cooling system which was effecient, though not helpful if you need/like white noise for sleeping.

The large, LCD, flatscreen t.v. was a nice treat (though the on-demand movie feature did not work during our stay).

My husband intends to continue staying at the aloft during his business trip and I will look forward to joining him again here every few weeks. It is located in an area with plenty of shops, restaurants (chain) and a Regal movie theater. Conveniently located near the major highways.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
aloftchesapeake, Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

Aloha Luckyenough !!! Thank You very much for your comments, it sounds that we were actually lucky to have you as our guests !!! As you have found out, our hotel is quite unique and features amenities unlike other hotels, and we are excited that you noticed and appreciated them!!! I understand your husband needs a darker room and Mr Sunshine decided not to cooperate, but we can definitely find a more suitable light sensitive room on your next visit, in fact I invite you to come back to stay and say "aloha" and your next on-demand movie will be on us !!! We look forward to seeing you again, and of course your pet is more than welcome to stop by the desk for an extra special treat !!! Thank you once again for your business and staying with us here in Chesapeake, Chris Tanner, General Manager.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

All I can say is: do NOT fall for the idea that, because they've worked so hard to maintain this trendy appearance that anything is actually practical or comfortable. I took my boyfriend and our dog to aLoft Chesapeake one weekend hoping that we would have a wonderful experience. Boy, were we disappointed. When we first walked in, the express check-in wouldn't even work so we had to go to the counter; this was the only friendly staff member we encountered during our entire stay.
Then, after a long drive, instead of being able to go into our rooms and get settled in, we were handed a packet of papers to read and sign pertaining to a dog staying in the room. Then they told us we had to keep our dog in a crate when we left the room. They never thought emailing us to have us read these papers and inform us about the requirements was a good idea? Talk about inconvenient. There was a pet store about 10 minutes away so we had to go and BUY a crate even though we were only staying for the weekend. If they had only thought to inform us BEFORE our stay, this would not have been a problem.
We thought a dip in the pool would be nice...this pool is incredibly small, they keep the room cold, and the water is tepid at best. It smelled dirty and they had NO TOWELS in the pool area.
Don't bother bringing man's best friend with you, either; aside from the ridiculous crate policy, they also have NO SPACE outside for your dog to actually use the bathroom. There is nothing but parking lot surrounding the entire hotel, and when you reach the back, all you see is employees standing around smoking. They don't place any doggy bag receptacles outside; there is only one INSIDE the hotel. Not pet-friendly AT ALL.
And I have to agree with everyone else who complained about the noise. They put us on the first floor, and we had difficulty sleeping all night, partially due to the noise, and partially due to the fact that it felt as if we were sleeping on a giant rock. The pillows were awkwardly small and provided no support whatsoever.
The food is incredibly overpriced and we were charged for our meal TWICE because the woman up front just didn't know how to work her machine properly.
To make matters worse, we left our bathing suits hanging in the bathroom to dry and forgot them. We called the DAY AFTER we checked out, and when we asked if they had seen them, and after I provided our names AND the room number, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. At first he couldn't even find any records saying we had been there. He eventually found us but told us to call back because the room hadn't been cleaned yet. I called them every day for a week, and every single time I was told the same thing: 'we can't find them' or 'the maids haven't told us about it.' Obviously, forgetting the bathing suits was OUR fault, but they handled it very poorly, so don't bring anything that actually cost you money because you WILL NOT get it back.
We will NEVER EVER return to this poor excuse for a place to relax. Don't make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vgoldberg918
aloftchesapeake, Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Aloha, and thank-you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We apologoze is there was any discomfort in your stay and perhaps not everything was explained in detail. We have a large grassy area just off the first floor near the pool area for our pet friendly guests to take their dogs outside. We purposely put our pet friendly guests there for convienence to the outdoor area which has a doggie bag station. We also like to keep our pet owners near each other because not all of our guests enjoy pets and would be very upset if a barking dog was next to them. We also ask the owners to have a crate for their dog for multiple reasons. The first and foremost is the safety of your pet as well as the saftey of the housekeeping staff. You neever know how an animal is going to react to someone they do not know especially of their owner is not around. The crate is also to protect you against any damages your pet may cause. We are right now replacing carpet right next to the door due to a dog not in a crate scratching against the carpet and destroying it. We will certainly review the literature online about our pet program and I'm any sure there are items that we can improve upon or be more clear about. I do apologize for the lack of clarity with our lost and found department. Typically any item that is turned in is logged and stored by our executive housekeeper. We look at all feedback closely in hopes to continually improve our operation. Thank-you for your comments as they will be shared as a training exercise.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

From the photos on many website this hotel looks pretty swanky but it ends there.
If you're going to stay at another one of this companies properties I recommend it. I've stayed at Starwood resorts before and their customer service was wonderful. So this hotel is fine for those of you who are on business and plan on just sleeping here. But for those of you who value both your activities and the hotel you are staying in, I would say stay clear of this particular ALOFT hotel In Chesapeake. Read the bad reviews as well as the good reviews before you invest your money.

1. Coffee maker with Styrofoam cups. I asked for a mug and rather than giving me two glass mugs he said that it was unsanitary (as opposed to killing the environment)

2. Kitchen and the bathroom are the same. (most hotels I've stayed in they are separate)
3.Customer Service, bad and almost non existent; When we arrived the first day we went to the bar to get our two complimentary drinks. The bartenders had attitude, and said she couldn't make a drink, for the only reason that she didn't feel like making it. Also the complimentary drinks didn't say anything about not being able to serve top shelf, just two free drinks.
4. Cleaning crew: The cleaning crew used so much bleach to clean the bathroom that both myself and my girl friend had to leave the room for at least 3 hours because it was burning our eyes and lungs (I'm not exaggerating). And remember the bathroom is not separate from the bedroom so the entire room was full of bleach.

5. Swimming pool to small to do anything.
6. Community area outdoors. Really small and no place to sunbathe (if you're into that)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
aloftchesapeake, Public Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to review our aloft Chesapeake Hotel in Hampton Roads. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not to your liking and we want you to know we take your concerns and evaluation to heart. We work hard, every day, to try to find more innovative and efficient ways to solve problems, identify issues and stay on top of our game. We want to keep you in style...at a steal!

Our space is different from a typical select service hotel, and we do admit to being a bit more minimalist and contemporary. Our design components were carefully planned out by our team at Starwood through extensive market research and, while we know it's not perfect, we do try to follow a style of: Simple, comfortable, beautiful, Alive!

We will take into account every assessment you have sent our way and hope that you'll consider giving us another try on your next visit to our wonderful town.

Thank you again for choosing us, for your visit and for your patience. We look forward to seeing you again!

Best

QoV

Reviewed August 7, 2010

This place was the awesomest hotel I've stayed in ... It was amazing! So chic and hip ! The bed was comfy but there was no ice bucket so bring your own : )

Aloha!

And thank you for your wonderful review of aloft Chesapeake Hotel. We are totally psyched that you dug our vibe!

We work hard, every day, to try to find new and exciting ways to keep you traveling in style at a steal! We're thrilled to keep you in our mix and hope you'll come back and join us again!

Thanks again for your kind words (we think you're special, too!).

Best,

-QoV

Reviewed July 31, 2010

If you want to rest on a good bed with sufficient pillows in a dark room, do not stay here. The only good thing I can say about the rooms are that the walk in showers are a nice change from the tubs usually found. That being said, the bed was hard (so hard I had to request another comforter, fold it in quarters, and use it as a bed topper to get any sleep), the pillows are inadequate (small with so little down you need 3 to make up a decent pillow), and the 'cool' looking shades come no where near blocking enough light.
Don't stay on the ground or 2nd floor unless you like the pounding of music from the bar. Also, don't expect a continental breakfast. Everything here you have to buy ($5 for a bottle of juice??!!). Oh, and if you are a woman who actually uses conditioner SEPARATELY from your shampoo, bring your own otherwise you are using the combo stuff provided. Business travelers who value rest, you may want to pass. I will next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
aloftchesapeake, Public Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2010

Aloha, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really appreciate your taking the time to share with us your experience.

We certainly do apologize for any discomfort you may have felt with regard to our designs and interior, per our brand standards. We will take all of your comments and feedback into account and pass them along directly to our brand development team for review.

We want you to know that we take your thoughts to heart and will work hard to continue to improve not only our space but the quality of your overall experience. Your satisfaction is important to use and we'll keep striving to make your stay superior.

We hope you'll give us another chance to wow you with our fresh, fun and sassy vibe, so please do come back and play again, soon.

Thanks again and take great care,

~QoV.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed here for Valentines Day this year as a surprise. I don't live too far from the hotel but I wanted to try the 'ALoft Experience' since I get emails from being a Starwood Preferred member. I tried it out and I couldn't even stay the night because all that we heard was constant music. At first I thought it was the neighbors so I called the front desk. Turns out it was the bar in the hotel! The manager said the music would be off @ 9pm when the bar closed. Four hours later, the music is still up loud! Needless to say, we went home and had our Valentines Day there. Mgmt gave us a refund!

We certainly do apologize for any discomfort you may have felt while staying with us this past year. We are a new hotel and are growing rapidly, learning along the way how best to accomodate important guests like you. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to you and your loved one.

Thanks again and take great care,