“Don't stay here if you have a brain”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
“Don't stay here if you have a brain”
Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed here for Valentines Day this year as a surprise. I don't live too far from the hotel but I wanted to try the 'ALoft Experience' since I get emails from being a Starwood Preferred member. I tried it out and I couldn't even stay the night because all that we heard was constant music. At first I thought it was the neighbors so I called the front desk. Turns out it was the bar in the hotel! The manager said the music would be off @ 9pm when the bar closed. Four hours later, the music is still up loud! Needless to say, we went home and had our Valentines Day there. Mgmt gave us a refund!

aloftchesapeake, Public Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Aloha, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really appreciate your taking the time to share with us your experience.

We certainly do apologize for any discomfort you may have felt while staying with us this past year. We are a new hotel and are growing rapidly, learning along the way how best to accomodate important guests like you. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to you and your loved one.

We want you to know that we take your thoughts to heart and will work hard to continue to improve not only our space but the quality of your overall experience. Your satisfaction is important to use and we'll keep striving to make your stay superior.

We hope you'll give us another chance to wow you with our fresh, fun and sassy vibe, so please do come back and play again, soon.

Thanks again and take great care,

~QoV.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Just arrived home, after a three-night stay at this hotel, along with other members of our family who came in from the DC area, Portland, Oregon, and Jacksonville, Fl. Had 4 rooms on the 2nd floor. We had a total of 14, with 3 of the family members staying in a different hotel We were a combination of 2 small children, 8 & 11, teens, young adults, adults, and grandparents. So this review is from all 14 of us. Just read a review from someone who had stayed at this hotel, and his remark was it was probably designed by someone who had never stayed in a "hotel". I Agree. There were also remarks about stains on the carpeting, and the halls probably not being vacuumed for maybe a couple of days. We found that to be true also.

We do not object to the contemporary design of this establishing - in fact, that is one of the reasons we chose it. We do not object to the all the fun that you provide for the younger generation, of which they were enjoying when we arrived, and do not object to the music chosen, which seemed to be exclusively for those who like rap, or whatever you call that noise (no Bach or Beethoven?). We do not object to conserving our resources and energy and "going green". All of that is fine and good, and we are all for it - big time. But we did have issues with the following:

Rooms without a closet (some people do take pride in the way they dress and like to hang up their clothes). No, the little rack with notches on it is not sufficient to hang clothes. I'm wondering what a business man, carrying several dress suits with him, does with them in one of your rooms. No dressers, no drawers, no chairs, no place to sit and watch TV except on the beds. No phone book, no info in the room on area attractions and restaurants, or who to call to have food delivered to the room. No ice bucket. No ice dispensers on the floors (part of the eco-friendly atmosphere, I was told). That's ok also, but I WANT AN ICE BUCKET IN THE ROOM. They provided small bags of ice in the lobby, but where in the world do you put it when you get it to the room? There is no place! In the sink? yuck! Complimentary WiFi connection provided, but never worked, even after numerous calls to the front desk, so we were unable to get on line. Air conditioning did not operate properly in two of the rooms. Worked fine in the other 2. Didn't help to call about it. Only two bath towels in each room, even though we registered with 4 and 3 in 2 of the rooms. Had to call for more. i could not believe the coffee pot - makes one cup at a time. That's fine also, but not for a hotel room. Coffee provided - one 1-cup packet of decaf and regular. Again, had to ask for additional. What about the other person/persons in the room????? We were told to come down to the lobby if we wanted several cups of coffee. Why?????? What's wrong with a coffee pot in the room?? Rooms have a small refrigerator but no microwaves. Yes, I can do without a microwave, but it's a good idea to have one in the room, and microwaves are usually provided in hotels. No complementary breakfast. lobby has food to purchase and warm up in the microwave provided in the lobby. In other words, this hotel did not provide the usual amenities found in a hotel. What's wrong with providing the things I mentioned above??????? What's the objection??????? Was the plan in building this place, to cater to just a certain class and age group of people? if that's the case, then tell us about it in your ads. The rooms are nice and big, with plenty of desktop space, and a long bench under the TV, where you can place your suitcases. Beds are comfortable, and we figured we helped out by not having our sheets changed every night. Several of the family gathered in our room, and in order to provide a place to sit, we brought canvas folding chairs up to our room that we had in the trunk of our cars. I don't understand the concept of no chairs in the room, except for the one office-type chair.

All of us have stayed in many hotels, many times and I have never written a review in my life. This is a first. Just can't seem to understand why some of the simple, but important comforts of staying in a hotel are left out of your establishment?? I've lived with stopped up sinks, air conditioning not working, no internet provided etc. in hotels before. But the problems were solved when we asked.

The lobby is beautiful and very impressive. Several of us enjoyed and appreciated the re-charge area and facilities. One evening some of us came down to the lobby to relax and purchase drinks at the bar, and two of us brought "drinks" down from the room. We were all sitting in the lobby - not at the bar, and were asked to leave because we were not allowed to bring our own drinks into the lobby. "He" did not know or ask if they were alcoholic drinks or apple juice, sprite, coke, or whatever, That question was not asked, so the young man had no idea what we were drinking. Another first for all of us. Not a good idea for management to assume that you are bringing booze into their lobby, which he said was against the ordinances?. Needless to say, we ALL left. No more patronizing the bar from then on. The employees were very, very nice, and definitely an asset, except for the one who asked us to leave the lobby. He needs a lesson in how NOT to assume. it was very embarrassing to all of us, a very poor way of handling a situation, and a very bad move on his part.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

We certainly do apologize for any discomfort you may have felt with regard to our designs and interior, per our brand standards. We will take all of your comments and feedback into account and pass them along directly to our brand development team for review.

Thanks again and take great care,

~QoV.
Hackensack, NJ
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Okay, I am going to say right off, that this hotel is definitely not for the 'old-at-heart. '

Our room, #214, had two queen size beds and like one reviewer stated it did not have a 'dresser,' to place our clothes (we hung up what we needed and left the rest in the suitcase), did have one sitting chair @desk, but does have a long contemporary style bench for extra sitting - - but who is in their room with all the cool outdoor lounging spaces here! Let's start from the beginnning...

I was here with my husband, my daughters, 9 and 17 and our dog, which is how I chose this hotel b/c of its pet policy. We are in our early 40s. Everything about this hotel is 'cool,' and that does attract a younger demo. In addition, the rates aren't as high as say a Hilton, Westin or even Marriott - which could also bring a certain caliber of folks, but it is nonetheless a division of W Hotels, which does have a level of sophistication that I think they would not compromise, not even in Chesapeake, VA.

The rooms are decent in size. We did not feel cramped and did not have a problem, sitting on our beds to watch tv. The oversized bathroom and fab Bliss products are here, just like at the Ws. When we checked-in, there was a slight issue with locating my reservation number, but Ashley resolved it right away and I moved on. When I got to the second floor - they were vacuuming. I got here at 1p, check-in is at 3p, so again, not complaining since I was let in my room 2-hours earlier.

Make no mistake, this hotel is bustling! People are everywhere, in the trendy lobby, by the pool table and lounge area, adjacent to the bar and at the indoor pool - but I travel a lot and did not see anything wrong with that, I was aware of the dynamic of people that would stay here. Walking my dog was a pleasure. There are plenty of places to do that and they even have poo bag dispensers, on property.

I did call to the Front Desk for extra towels and wash cloths, which never came, but again, I did not call back, so that could be a concern for some, but for me? I just opened my door, saw a housekeeping cart and Rebecca gave me what I needed.

This is an independent stay type of place, in my opinion. I don't require a lot, just cleanliness, great tv, air conditioning, internet (had no problem, on it right now) and parking. All of which I found here.

All in all, I had a great time and b/c of my dog, will come again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank enjayflyer
aloftchesapeake, Public Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Aloha and thank you for your fabulous feedback! We do love love over here at aloft Chesapeake and we work hard to make your stay easy and breezy...
Please do keep visiting us and joining us on your travels! We'll continue to keep vibing and scheming new ways to keep guests like you satisfied!
Thanks,
~QoV
Nashville
Reviewed April 12, 2010

A beautiful appearance but woefully lacking as a hotel. Front desk is only partially manned and difficult to get information or calls. A room with 2 queens has only one place to sit- a desk chair! There are no drawers for clothing storage, the HD TV can be viewed only from the bed and the internet service is pathetic. Hallway not vaccuumed for nearly 2 days. Loud rap music in the lobby - the overall feeling is this was designed for 14 year olds. It seems a good idea and looks great in the pictures but apparently was designed by and is operated by someone who has never stayed in a hotel

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Will005
aloftchesapeake, Public Relations MGR at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Aloha and thank you for choosing to stay with us and play at aloft Chesapeake in Sunny Virginia.
We do appreciate your business and we work hard to create a vibe that will impress and wow you. We apologize for your less than satisfactory experience and we want you to know that we are working to address your concerns.
We are a new property and while we continue to grow and learn how best to serve you, we do appreciate feedback. We hope you'll give us a second chance to demonstrate the level of service and the quality of experience that we call FABULOUS. So please...come again?

Again, we thank you for your review and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please do join us again and allow us the opportunity to show you what it means to live life aloft.

`QoV
USA
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My kids were so excited when they found out about camp Aloft for kids, which was mentioned on the website. Unfortunately the hotel does not participate in this program anymore, so the kids were disappointed. It's nice that they allow pets, but our pet wasn't given any pet ammenities either. The accomodations were nice, but not having the camp aloft program for thekids was let-down.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for choosing to stay at aloft Chesapeake. We do offer a camp aloft program at our site but we recognize that this program may have been miscommunicated to you and we apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. We encourage the little aloft lovers of all ages to visit our space and make use of this programming. The camp aloft package includes a blow up bed and is available through pre-reservation and request only.
We are a new property and a new brand and we are working out our kinks and learning best practices every day, so we do appreciate your feedback. We want you to know that we are working hard and doing our very best to address your specific concerns and issues.
Please do visit us again and stay tuned to new offers and promotions that we certainly will continue to offer in order to provide you the quality of service that we hope you'll want to call FABULOUS.
Thank you again for your stay and your feedback and please do come back and see us!
Connecticut
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I was debating between this hotel and another, and finally my best friend convinced me this is what I should book, so I did.

When I first got there, I had no trouble finding a parking spot, and felt very safe being outside alone at night. The lobby was bright and colorful and loud, and it was actually a nice feeling. The staff was extremely friendly! I went up to my room to poke around and was shocked. It was bigger than my college dorm room. It was very bright, and roomy. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were a little odd. I was kind of disappointed by lack of TV channels, but I guess I can't be too picky.

I used the computers a lot, though I never made it to the bar or pool, they all seemed easily accessible. I was shocked the pool hrs were as late as they were.

My one downside, def the selection of snacks they had in the 24/7 snack bar.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
aloftchesapeake, Public Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Aloha and thank you for visiting us at aloft Chesapeake, Hampton Roads new twist on travel! I am delighted to hear that you had such a stellar stay!

We try our best at aloft Ches to make your stay equally comfortable and creative. We hope you liked our style and continue to choose aloft for all of your travel needs!

Virginia
Reviewed March 8, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the aloft hotel in Chesapeake while in town for a concert in Norfolk. Sure, we could have stayed Downtown Norfolk but I wanted to try out the Aloft since it was a new hotel. Aesthetically, the hotel was beautiful. The decor very modern and savvy much like what you'd see in Ikea/West Elm. The check in was a breeze, there are Kiosks which allow you to retrieve your room keys and print Airport boarding passes. The lobby was decorated and had WOW factor. I didn't have a problem with the music (some reviews said that it was very loud), it was at a decent volume level for the lobby. Once on our floor I noticed a tremendous amount of wear and tear on the walls & doors which was very unattractive. It looks like the house keepers are scraping the walls & doors with there "bins" (for lack of a better word). A coat of paint should be able to fix that.

Once in our room, the room appeared to be thoroughly cleaned until a more detailed inspection. Inside our soap dish near the bathroom sink was filthy, as well as the coffee maker (so filthy I refused to use it). A few stains on the carpet that I could live with but the walls near the desk were horribly scratched as if someone kept scraping the desk chair against that wall. Again, very unattractive & nothing a coat of paint can't fix. I mean, you wouldn't have scratched & scraped walls in your own home, right?

The bed not as comfortable as others I've slept in at Westin Hotels but not too bad.
The HD television & channels were a plus. The bathroom was a Girls dream, a great full length mirror which doubles as a sliding door for privacy in the bathroom. The fixtures and walk in glass shower were beautiful. Free in-room Wifi, no room service (only hot food at the bar which closed at midnight so we missed a meal and had to find a 24 hour breakfast joint), we didn't get to use the plug & play station (which I assumed was an Ipod/Iphone dock) because you have to bring your own AV/HDMI/USB cables.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. It's a trendy and quiet spot close to tons of great shopping centers. I would recommend quarterly inspections to combat the wear and tear and thorough cleaning of the rooms to include removal of floor stains etc. If you're looking for a reasonably priced place to stay this is your spot. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrakesMommy
aloftchesapeake, Public Relations MGR. at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Aloha and thank you for choosing aloft Chesapeake as your destination hot spot. We try our best to max out the fabulous at our hotspot, but as we've only been open one year, we're making changes, adjustments and tweaks all the time, to better satisfy your needs. We apologize if you didn't feel that the vibe was just right and we promise to do our best to jazz ourselves up. We hope you'll give us another chance and will continue to make aloft Ches your location of choice for all of your travel needs!