“Nice People, But Needs A Few Things” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice People, But Needs A Few Things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stay a lot at Starwood and I love the program overall. This hotel is ok. The breakfast options are not good because they have very few quality healthy options. Please get get Greek Yogurt. The rooms are ok and the food is ok and the locations very good. The fitness center is ok and the overall hotel is a god value, but could improve on cleanliness of the common areas. The pricing is very good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Woodbury, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Spent one evening at the Aloft Chesapeake. While I really like the aloft concept, this hotel has a lot of local competition and needs to do better. The biggest issue at this hotel is cleanliness. There are a lot of unusual surface coverings which can't be cleaned like regular coverings, so the housekeepers need different training and more attention to detail.

Our room had something gross on the back of the sliding bathroom door, splashes of what I hope was toothpaste on the wall next to the sink, smears on mirror, dingy carpet, soap scum/hard water buildup and discoloration on the glass shower wall and soap dispensers. I could see the residue from the cleaning chemical used to wipe down the headboard of the beds in the form of the arc the housekeeper's arm made. I guess he/she was pretty short as the entire headboard was not cleaned. There were even 7 or 8 loops of celophane tape on the ceiling. It was pretty clear that the room had barely been cleaned.

Outside of our room, the elevator door had streaks on it as did the front doors to the hotel.

Finally, we found the bed to be quite uncomfortable. I paid a little extra than I would have for the neighboring properties (and there are more than a dozen hotel in the area) because I have stayed in aloft properties before and throught my kids would find the hotel cool, but I won't be staying at an aloft again.

The staff was very nice at check in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dave G
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Dave G,
Thank you for your honest review. We apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced during your stay. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can best identify opportunities to better our hotel. We will address this directly with housekeeping to ensure our future guests do not experience similar issues. We’re glad that you liked the Aloft concept and our friendly staff, and we hope that you will give us another chance to impress you in the future.
Fort Worth, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

In general, I love the Starwood properties. I expected to like this one.

The hotel itself was an interesting concept (my first stay at an Aloft) --- small rooms, comfortable beds, set up for high use electronics --- a console for using smart devices to play on in-room tv, plenty of plugs, grommets through end tables to keep things neat --- I really enjoyed that part of the concept.

I didn't mind the curtain over a cubby for a closet, a bench instead of a chair or sofa --- multifunctional as both a place to set and a place to pack or unpack. I didn't mind the "shower only" in the bathroom --- the shower was fantastic!

The food downstairs is a small step up from a mini-mart. There is fresh fruit, pre-made sandwiches, yogurt parfaits, pastries, etc. to choose from. It was okay. The coffee bar was okay. The pricing for the food was reasonable.

There was plenty to like --- so, why 2 stars? The room itself was moldy. It wasn't just stuffy. It smelled like mold. And the smell was pervasive. I got the impression that the mold was everywhere in the room. And it was too noticeable to have been accidentally over-looked. The small was so bad that if it had not been midnight when I checked in, I would have left. I ended up with a sinus infection from the allergic reaction to the mold.

If you aren't allergic to mold, you might like it.

Room Tip: Sniff your room before you unpack.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alice B
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Alice B,
Thank you for being a big Starwood fan and trying out Aloft hotels. It is great to hear that you liked our guest rooms, showers, and our grab & go gourmet café. We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with your guest room as it was a very unusual occurrence at our hotel. We had a maintenance complication with the AC prior to your stay which caused the room to feel stuffy. Since your visit, I can confirm that it has been fully repaired and personally inspected by the General Manager. Again, we sincerely apologize for what you experienced and hope that you will consider to stay at our hotel again for any future Chesapeake visits. Take care.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great little hotel. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in; central AC made it very comfortable as opposed to the window units most hotel rooms have; and the most important - it was so quiet!
Staff was very responsive, rooms were clean, water pressure and temperature up to my standards.
Would stay again.

1 Thank cuty777
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here when my normal destinations were sold out. A very Hip place that targets the younger crowd.

The room was nice but not clean. The feel of the property was nice. The staff was very chatty with each other.

In the morning, they wanted to sell me on the breakfast but it was not appealing at all. Traveling I wanted to eat a real meal, so it was not my target meal.

Would I stay here again? No, it is not my style or really does not meet my needs as a business traveler.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank MichealH
OBX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Really liked the feel of the hotel and entire property. The room was very nice compared to other hotel properties. Loved the shower. The light in the bathroom was out when we got there but it was replaced while we were out to dinner. Hung out at the bar for a long time and the bartender (Terri?) was fantastic.

Two minor complaints. Longish check-in (never understand why there is only one person at a hotel check-in late afternoons on a weekend) and our room was on the second floor right above the entrance to the hotel. We could hear the front doors opening and closing each time they moved. It wasn't bad, just minorly annoying.

We've already decided to give it another go the next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Try to not get rooms on second floor above entrance as you can hear the front doors opening and clos...
Eagle, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Love the location when flying in at night before driving to the OBX in the morning. Front desk staff was kind of attentive but they spent most of their time with each other. Went to the bar after dinner and the bartender couldn't have been less interested even though we were her only customers. Since the bartenders attitude was so off putting, we decided to get a night cap and head for our room...big no-no I guess. The F&B manager chased us o the elevator screaming that it was against ABC laws to take our drinks to the room. While I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and never run into this issue, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that that actually is the law, which I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardize their liquor license. The problem I had was being yelled at like a errant third grader. I am 50 years old and a simple "sir, I am sorry but you can't take drinks to your room" would have been sufficient. A sign anywhere in the bar or lobby or elevator would also have been helpful. Staying at another SPG property on our way home, also in VA, I asked the bartender if it was against the law to take a cocktail to the room and her reply was "of course not". Again happy to follow the law, but I won't be back because of the rudeness of the staff.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank skierguy13
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hi skierguy13,
Thank you for your review. I apologize for any sort of unprofessionalism you experienced, as we take pride in providing a warm and welcoming environment for all guests in addition to an excellent night’s sleep. I'm sorry that your visit did not meet expectations. I shared your note with the rest of the hotel team, as we take your feedback very seriously.