“Convenient location, uninterested F&B staff”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Eagle, Colorado
“Convenient location, uninterested F&B staff”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Love the location when flying in at night before driving to the OBX in the morning. Front desk staff was kind of attentive but they spent most of their time with each other. Went to the bar after dinner and the bartender couldn't have been less interested even though we were her only customers. Since the bartenders attitude was so off putting, we decided to get a night cap and head for our room...big no-no I guess. The F&B manager chased us o the elevator screaming that it was against ABC laws to take our drinks to the room. While I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and never run into this issue, I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that that actually is the law, which I certainly wouldn't want to jeopardize their liquor license. The problem I had was being yelled at like a errant third grader. I am 50 years old and a simple "sir, I am sorry but you can't take drinks to your room" would have been sufficient. A sign anywhere in the bar or lobby or elevator would also have been helpful. Staying at another SPG property on our way home, also in VA, I asked the bartender if it was against the law to take a cocktail to the room and her reply was "of course not". Again happy to follow the law, but I won't be back because of the rudeness of the staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skierguy13
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hi skierguy13,
Thank you for your review. I apologize for any sort of unprofessionalism you experienced, as we take pride in providing a warm and welcoming environment for all guests in addition to an excellent night’s sleep. I'm sorry that your visit did not meet expectations. I shared your note with the rest of the hotel team, as we take your feedback very seriously.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My boyfriend, myself and our dog spent this past weekend at the aloft hotel in Chesapeake Virginia. When we arrived late Friday evening the staff at the front desk was more into talking to each other than helping us. While we were standing there waiting for them to check us in (both of us had our hands full and this boy was taking his time) another guest called the desk complaining about a maintenance problem, he told the guest they'd been very busy and the maintenance man would be there when he could. Little did the guest know the maintenance man was standing right there at the front desk keeping the desk clerk entertained. When the clerk hung up the phone he told his friend the maintenance man that when ever he wanted to he should go up to room blah blah blah and see what they want. The maintenance man said I'll get to it when I get to it. After this ordeal we were finally checked in and went to our room, since we are members we were on the 5th floor thank god, because the "bar" downstairs plays music so loud you can hear it on the 3rd floor. Once we got to our room all was well, the room was clean, we had everything we needed. My only complaint about the room is the "covers" are sheets only there's not even a comforter on the bed so it's quite cold at night unless you turn your heat on. When I reserved our room I was told by the booking agent at ALOFT that there would be treats available for my dog daily. When I asked about this program at the front desk, I was told "We don't got none of that. You're lucky we let your dogs in." Also when I was outside with my dog there was feces everywhere, maybe because all of the dog poop bag dispensers were empty. Overall my room was what I needed it to be for the weekend, but the customer service and "bar area" would deter me from ever staying here again or at another aloft hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Darien R
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi Darien R,
I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We take reviews very seriously and use these notes to improve experiences for guests moving forward. I am sorry that your stay did not meet expectations and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Farmingdale nj
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

My family and I (my parents, sisters and boyfriend) stayed overnight at the Aloft for one night on our journey to the outer banks. We had 2 dogs (chocolate lab and a morkie) so we needed a pet friendly hotel. It was the perfect location, right in a shopping center with restaurants abound and a near by liquor store with a great selection. The rooms were perfect: clean, spacious and equipped with a mini fridge. The staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. Everyone loved and welcomed the dogs. The pool was down for the night but they offered the neighboring hotel's pool if we wanted to use it. Overall, our expectations were surpassed and we would definitely stay again.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank akdjd13
Hi akdjd13,
Thank you very much for your review. I’m happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Aloft Chesapeake. We look forward to welcoming you back with your four-legged friends!
Denver, CO
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The desk staff were delightful, helpful, friendly, and the rooms are stylish and modern. The location is close to the airport, close to a shopping mall with many dining options, movies. Loved the hotel.l

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Amber70
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Hi Amber70,
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear that you were able to interact with our warm and helpful team, enjoy the comfortable room, and take advantage of our convenient location. We hope to see you again!
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed at the Aloft Hotel in Chesapeake VA for the first time. It was a comfortable stay and the staff was very accommodating and helpful. I would not recommend staying in a room near the lobby however as it was a little loud during the happy hour time. I was very impressed with the beautiful tiled shower stall and the modern feel the room had. All in all we were very pleased and may visit again in the near future.

Room Tip: I would not recommend the first floor as the lobby was buzzing with activity from the bar and pool t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Outer Banks Nc
Reviewed March 8, 2014

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL!!!!!! My room was booked through a credit card and I was told that they could not find the reservation. After the credit card company called as well as the corporate office of the hotel the guy would not give me a room without my paying again.
Incompetent worker and manager that was very busy talking in the lounge to help. There were five people waiting to check in and two of us had prepaid but they wouldn't give a room to either of us. He constantly stopped helping people checking in to sell cakes and goodies to what appeared to be his friends. I will never stay at any starwood hotel again.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank abbywOuterBanksNC
Jay A, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear abbywOuterBanksNC:

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to exceed our guest's expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered as there were apparent shortfalls. We will analyze these comments and address accordingly. Thank you, again, for this much important feedback.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

OVERALL, the stay was pleasant, the dissappointment entered when my credit card was billed again for the stay as the room was booked through Priceline.com therefore was already paid for when I checked in. I called several times for SEVERAL weeks about this. I was told that the computer system was slow & they could not help me & I would receive a return call which I never received. I gave the manager a couple of days to return my call before calling back & got offered his voicemail each time. I can only tell you that i called to rectify this situation SEVERAL times & disputed the charge with my bank. My visit was in mid-January and I have YET to receive a return call. This is EXTREMELY POOR customer service. As beautiful as the room & ambiance was, I will NEVER do business with them again because it was not worth being charged twice & in a HOSPITALITY business, customer service & satisfaction should be a bigger priority than i was shown.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hello KaDeeRN,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I relayed your experience to the hotel team and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We take all reviews very seriously and strive to grow with each opportunity. I appreciate you taking the time to write your review and again send my apologies.