“Great Showers”

Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Raleigh, NC
“Great Showers”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Aloft Chesapeake one weekend night for a wedding we were going to in town. We checked in a little before 3 PM and received our room key within a few minutes. However when we got to the room, we noticed maintenance was working in the room, so we called down to the front desk and they told us to come back down to get a new room. The lady who checked us in met us at the lobby elevator to give us our new room key and (2) free drinks at the bar, which we used later that night.
The room had some of the best showers I have encountered in a hotel. The pressure was great, and its always nice that they have copious amounts of shampoo and body wash as opposed to little hotel sized bottles. The beds were comfortable and the TV had a great picture and included Showtime.
The hotel lobby/bar was lively when we got back to the hotel around 10:30 PM. There were probably 15-20 people in the lobby bar either eating, drinking or playing pool.
Check-out was quick and easy to get back on I-64.

Room Tip: There is a mall next door and a Cracker Barrel and Joe's Crab Shack
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear PlanAway,
We really appreciate your review - thanks for sharing. We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Aloft Chesapeake - including our oversized showerheads and w xyz bar experience. We hope to see you and your wife on your next trip to Chesapeake. Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is very nice and clean. The employees were great. We only spent a night there (our house had been broken into and the door was not secure) so we did not fully utilize the amenities. The bartender gave us a discount though for our troubles which was much appreciated. The room was nice, but had an odd setup. My complaints (and not very big ones) are all with the bathroom. The shower shared the wall with the bed and had panel where it was frosted glass. You could not see through the shower to the living area, but at night the light would shine through if someone uses it while you sleep. Also, the lighting in the bathroom was dim. Finally, the door to the bathroom was a really heavy sliding door that was difficult to get a grip on. We had our two cats with us and they did not charge us an additional fee. The overall design of the hotel is very modern and seems to be aiming to appeal at a young, hip crowd. There was also a news ticker in the lobby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa C, Starwood Hotels at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Aloft Chesapeake. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy w xyz bar during your short trip and travel with your family pets. As you have noted, the design and styling of Aloft hotels is modern and focused on tech savvy features like free WiFi throughout the hotel and the news ticker in the lobby. We hope to see you soon. Take care!
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had stayed here about a year ago and enjoyed it very much. Was a little concerned having read a couple of less than stellar reviews since then, but luckily I mostly had a good experience. Front desk staff was courteous, helpful and friendly - at all hours. There was newly laid carpet in the hallways and I got the feeling they were renovating some of the areas that needed it. Still had an incredibly comfortable bed. Only odd thing involved housekeeping. The second morning I had left the do-not-disturb sign on the door until around 11:00AM when I left to go to appointments and removed it. When I returned to the room around 10:30PM, I discoverd that houskeeping had not touched the room. It was too late and I was too tired to bother calling downstairs - and I suspect there wasn't anyone from housekeeping there at that hour to clean and make up the bed. Also, I was solo traveler so still had a supply of clean towels, etc. Just odd and surprising. Would probalby give it another stay nonetheless and chalk this experience up to a forgetful staff member.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MEGATRAVELER
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Justin and David!!!!! David, thank you so much for the extreme generosity! I asked where to buy cigarettes, and you handed me a pack!!! Not one, but a pack! You knew me from nobody... This company does well on keeping you employed. Being away from home, you made sure I needed for nothing. This was above and beyond!!!! Anything your company can do to keep you happy, they should do, because you exemplify customer service, and set this location apart from your competitors. Thank you!!!!! You went above and beyond!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Drmrsguild,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us, and in particular, for recognizing both Justin and David. We feel we have great group of employees, and it is gratifying to hear that that made an impression on you during your stay. We appreciate your comments, and would like to strongly encourage you to stay with us again, should you be in the area. Please tell all of your friends about the Aloft Chesapeake!!!

Mike Kreider
Homestead, Florida
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed at an Aloft - let alone even heard of it - and I am extremely impressed!! I am a mystery shopper (not for this hotel, though), so it's my job to notice the minute details. The details here are very impressive, and it takes a LOT for me to say that. I love all the little touches, and the fact that this hotel chain is entirely smoke-free. The room was clean and comfortable, as was every public space here. Justin, the night front desk employee, was super friendly and helpful; I enjoyed every encounter I had with him. I stopped at the bar for a drink on my second night, and Lisa was the bartender. She was also friendly and sociable, and she made me a delicious Bahama Mama (get one if you see her!). I will definitely be visiting this hotel again and whole-heartedly recommend it to my friends and fellow travelers!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Smellyann
Dear Smellyann,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us, and the great customer service you received from both Lisa and Justin. It has always been our goal to provide our customers with great service, and I am gratified to hear of you great stay. We strongly encourage you to stay with us again, and would appreciate you telling all of your friend about your great stay.

Mike Kreider
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice now.

On the surface, this hotel is fine. The lobby is artsy and modern, and the hotel bills itself as an affordable alternative to boutique hotels. Only, the lobby is really the highlight of the experience. Front desk staff, with their body language, seemed uninterested in providing assistance, although when they spoke, their words were polite. (However, they also seemed to lack any genuine friendliness or enthusiasm). Additionally, front desk staff were frequently away from the desk, and I had to wait for someone to return to the desk prior to both check-ins. I expected more from a hotel at this star level.

The rooms are very small, and the emphasis on design over function sometimes proved problematic. For example, the window coverings are pretty, but it took awhile to figure out how to close them completely. The shower in the bathroom is large with a great shower-head, but there's only a small backlight, which results in a pretty dark bathroom. And the oh-so-cool bed was way too firm, even though I can usually tolerate a firm bed.

Also, sometimes even the design choices themselves were questionable. The rooms have a very cheap looking/feeling blue carpet, which hadn't even been cleaned on one of my visits. (Indeed, shortly after i checked in, I was surprised to hear a knock on the door from one of the housekeeping attendants--who was surprised to find someone in the room. He had come to clean the carpet).

My biggest issue with this hotel was the indoor pool. Again, on its surface, it was gorgeous. And the water was warm. (Also, there's a lovely little patio area between the lobby and the pool). But people in the lobby can see much of the pool area, which is a sort of voyeuristic design aspect.

Ultimately, I was seriously disappointed with this hotel. There were plenty of other small annoyances as well. There's a "main switch" for the electricity in the guest rooms, which has to be "on" before you can turn anything else on in the room. And the side entrance doors failed to open on one occasion, even though my key card worked on the room door just minutes later. Even with two elevators, it felt like the elevators were slow in coming, and I had to take an long trek to my room once I arrived on my floor. Finally, there were some nights when I would get off work, enter through the side entrance to avoid the lobby and the bar, and still have to contend with an entry floor full of loud patrons, who were there for the "hip" scene at the bar.

If you do end up here, make sure you ask for a room that isn't facing the interstate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing the interstate.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here this past weekend for a girlfriends weekend and we enjoyed it! The room was very nice and we thoroughly enjoyed the xyz bar and lounge area! The hotel was was in a great location near the mall and quite a few restaurants. My only problems were that the variety for breakfast wasn't what I'm accustomed to and it wasn't complimentary.
Other than that, it was a pleasant stay and I would have no problem staying here during future travel to the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JamesTierneyAGM, Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I am very sorry to here about your stay with us. We at the Aloft strive for excellence in every depatment. I apprecate your feedback and will defeniatly address these issues. We are always trying to improve and can only do that when people bring things like this to our attention