“What a beautiful group of people”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Justin and David!!!!! David, thank you so much for the extreme generosity! I asked where to buy cigarettes, and you handed me a pack!!! Not one, but a pack! You knew me from nobody... This company does well on keeping you employed. Being away from home, you made sure I needed for nothing. This was above and beyond!!!! Anything your company can do to keep you happy, they should do, because you exemplify customer service, and set this location apart from your competitors. Thank you!!!!! You went above and beyond!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Drmrsguild,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us, and in particular, for recognizing both Justin and David. We feel we have great group of employees, and it is gratifying to hear that that made an impression on you during your stay. We appreciate your comments, and would like to strongly encourage you to stay with us again, should you be in the area. Please tell all of your friends about the Aloft Chesapeake!!!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed at an Aloft - let alone even heard of it - and I am extremely impressed!! I am a mystery shopper (not for this hotel, though), so it's my job to notice the minute details. The details here are very impressive, and it takes a LOT for me to say that. I love all the little touches, and the fact that this hotel chain is entirely smoke-free. The room was clean and comfortable, as was every public space here. Justin, the night front desk employee, was super friendly and helpful; I enjoyed every encounter I had with him. I stopped at the bar for a drink on my second night, and Lisa was the bartender. She was also friendly and sociable, and she made me a delicious Bahama Mama (get one if you see her!). I will definitely be visiting this hotel again and whole-heartedly recommend it to my friends and fellow travelers!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Smellyann

Dear Smellyann,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us, and the great customer service you received from both Lisa and Justin. It has always been our goal to provide our customers with great service, and I am gratified to hear of you great stay. We strongly encourage you to stay with us again, and would appreciate you telling all of your friend about your great stay.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice now.

On the surface, this hotel is fine. The lobby is artsy and modern, and the hotel bills itself as an affordable alternative to boutique hotels. Only, the lobby is really the highlight of the experience. Front desk staff, with their body language, seemed uninterested in providing assistance, although when they spoke, their words were polite. (However, they also seemed to lack any genuine friendliness or enthusiasm). Additionally, front desk staff were frequently away from the desk, and I had to wait for someone to return to the desk prior to both check-ins. I expected more from a hotel at this star level.

The rooms are very small, and the emphasis on design over function sometimes proved problematic. For example, the window coverings are pretty, but it took awhile to figure out how to close them completely. The shower in the bathroom is large with a great shower-head, but there's only a small backlight, which results in a pretty dark bathroom. And the oh-so-cool bed was way too firm, even though I can usually tolerate a firm bed.

Also, sometimes even the design choices themselves were questionable. The rooms have a very cheap looking/feeling blue carpet, which hadn't even been cleaned on one of my visits. (Indeed, shortly after i checked in, I was surprised to hear a knock on the door from one of the housekeeping attendants--who was surprised to find someone in the room. He had come to clean the carpet).

My biggest issue with this hotel was the indoor pool. Again, on its surface, it was gorgeous. And the water was warm. (Also, there's a lovely little patio area between the lobby and the pool). But people in the lobby can see much of the pool area, which is a sort of voyeuristic design aspect.

Ultimately, I was seriously disappointed with this hotel. There were plenty of other small annoyances as well. There's a "main switch" for the electricity in the guest rooms, which has to be "on" before you can turn anything else on in the room. And the side entrance doors failed to open on one occasion, even though my key card worked on the room door just minutes later. Even with two elevators, it felt like the elevators were slow in coming, and I had to take an long trek to my room once I arrived on my floor. Finally, there were some nights when I would get off work, enter through the side entrance to avoid the lobby and the bar, and still have to contend with an entry floor full of loud patrons, who were there for the "hip" scene at the bar.

If you do end up here, make sure you ask for a room that isn't facing the interstate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing the interstate.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here this past weekend for a girlfriends weekend and we enjoyed it! The room was very nice and we thoroughly enjoyed the xyz bar and lounge area! The hotel was was in a great location near the mall and quite a few restaurants. My only problems were that the variety for breakfast wasn't what I'm accustomed to and it wasn't complimentary.
Other than that, it was a pleasant stay and I would have no problem staying here during future travel to the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
JamesTierneyAGM, Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

I am very sorry to here about your stay with us. We at the Aloft strive for excellence in every depatment. I apprecate your feedback and will defeniatly address these issues. We are always trying to improve and can only do that when people bring things like this to our attention

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Related the the 'W' Hotel group, this property was outstanding. I was pleasantly surprised to find this gem. Staff was friendly and helpful, From Mike, the GM, to the other folks that made our stay great. Thanks Jim, Sona, Cea, and Janile! The only thing I'd change would be the water saving plumbing fixtures. Not the best. All else was great!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Paigh H,

Thank you for you great comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Aloft Chesapeake. We always strive to provide our guest with a unique and enjoyable lodging experience, and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We encourage you to stay with us again, and please tell all of your friend about your pleasant experience here at the Aloft Chesapeake.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have stayed at Aloft properties and enjoyed them before, so when traveling on short notice to attend a funeral I was pleased to see that there was a familiar hotel brand that I enjoyed to book our rooms at. Knowing that hotels often give rooms away later in the evening (regardless of what they say their policy is), I made a point of calling the Aloft Chesapeake to explain that I had two rooms, that we would be flying in late at night, and to please note this on our reservations as we would definitely be there. I was assured this was fine, had been notated in each reservation, and that there would be no problem. I was apprehensive when we arrived and found multiple tour buses parked in front of the hotel, but surely if they had noted this in the reservation there wouldn't be a problem, right?

Wrong. First of all, the wait to get our rooms would have been insane, except one of the front desk staff finally stopped working with the large group (hundreds of teenage kids in the lobby) to help us at the Starwood member desk, after all, that is what it is there for, right? I was then promptly told first that our rooms were given away. Then, that they would give us one room but not the second that I had booked, and then that we could wait for the hundreds of high schoolers to check in and then they would tell us if we could have our second room. They didn't believe me when I explained and called confirming our rooms and our check-in time. I was finally given two king rooms (instead of one king and two double/queen), but had to be very persistent in order to get this. If it hadn't been so late I would have tried driving around to the many other hotels in the area.

The second problem we had (once we finally had rooms) was the other guest. Apparently multiple high schools for a sports tournament were staying in this hotel, and we were assured the chaperones were going to keep them quiet. Not at all! Slamming doors, screaming in the halls, screaming in the parking lot (all after midnight), it was ridiculous. Calls to the front desk asking about security were met with disdain, and nothing was done to attempt to stop the rambunctious children. It was very clear this property could care less about their guests comfort or enjoyment of their stay.

Not only does this experience completely change my mind about staying at an Aloft Property, it makes me question staying at SPG properties moving forward. As someone who stays in hotels 40+ weeks a year (4 - 5 days per week), I do not want my money going towards a company that has so little consideration for their guests. While I realize the high school kids were an anomaly, the attitude from the staff makes it obvious that no matter what the issue we may have had was, they would not have made any attempt to resolve it. This was definitely an eye opening experience in the customer service that SPG properties provide to their guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother - they'll give your room away!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SmPenny

Dear Smpenny,

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay with us. It has always been the goal of the Aloft Chesapeake to provide our guest with the ultimate in quality, comfor and service. We obviously failed to deliver this to you during your stay, and for this I apologize.

Please contact me directly at the hotel, at your convenience. I would implore you to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves by staying with us again. I look forward to your call. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here two nights in November 2012 while visiting a college. We chose it because it was just a few minutes from Regent University and we got the room for free because of points.

Only a couple of complaints and they're minor. The room setup is very odd - when entering the room, you walk directly into the bathroom/dressing area. The beds are at the back of the room separated by a wall. The shower stall and toilet area is very small so it's impossible to get dressed in it. Therefore, you must come into the very open dressing area to get dressed. There's -zero- privacy and this can be difficult if you're staying in the room with with someone you're not very "close" with.

Also, the heat was very slow to work. Our room was pretty cold when we checked in. It took hours to bring the room temp to about 68/70 degrees. We left the room for dinner while the room warmed up. We had to keep the thermostat crankin' at 85 to keep the room at about 68 degrees. If I was staying longer, I would have asked them to either fix the problem or give me another room. For 2 nights it wasn't worth moving.

I recently spoke to someone who stayed here and had a different experience. They apparently had a spectacular room and everything was perfect. Apparently, if you stay free with points you get a so-so room.

Despite all the above, however, the room was nice, new and very clean and that's really what's important to me. The mattress was awesome and seemed new. The pillows and linens were fluffy, spotless, soft and wonderful. Slept really well.

The bar area is nice and has a fireplace which backs to a sitting area outside, so if you have drinks outside, or want to smoke, and it's cold, you can sit near the outside fireplace. I liked that.

Anyway, would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: If you stay in a room you got for free with points, prepare for a so-so room (but still very clean s...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Jennifer B,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Aloft Chesapeake. As a valued SPG member we truely appreciate your business, as you have proven that you are a dedicated and loyal Starwood traveler. It has never been our intention to put SPG member statying with points in a so so room. All of our guest rooms are almost identical, and no differentiation is made as to room placement if you are an SPG member staying with points. I apologize if you got that impression, however I am pleased to hear that you were impressed by the overall comfort and cleanlinees of the room, and the layout of the bar. Again thank you for your patronage, and I encourage you to stay with us again, should you travels bring you back to the area.