“Fabulous!”

Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Homestead, Florida
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed at an Aloft - let alone even heard of it - and I am extremely impressed!! I am a mystery shopper (not for this hotel, though), so it's my job to notice the minute details. The details here are very impressive, and it takes a LOT for me to say that. I love all the little touches, and the fact that this hotel chain is entirely smoke-free. The room was clean and comfortable, as was every public space here. Justin, the night front desk employee, was super friendly and helpful; I enjoyed every encounter I had with him. I stopped at the bar for a drink on my second night, and Lisa was the bartender. She was also friendly and sociable, and she made me a delicious Bahama Mama (get one if you see her!). I will definitely be visiting this hotel again and whole-heartedly recommend it to my friends and fellow travelers!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Smellyann
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Smellyann,

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us, and the great customer service you received from both Lisa and Justin. It has always been our goal to provide our customers with great service, and I am gratified to hear of you great stay. We strongly encourage you to stay with us again, and would appreciate you telling all of your friend about your great stay.

Mike Kreider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice now.

On the surface, this hotel is fine. The lobby is artsy and modern, and the hotel bills itself as an affordable alternative to boutique hotels. Only, the lobby is really the highlight of the experience. Front desk staff, with their body language, seemed uninterested in providing assistance, although when they spoke, their words were polite. (However, they also seemed to lack any genuine friendliness or enthusiasm). Additionally, front desk staff were frequently away from the desk, and I had to wait for someone to return to the desk prior to both check-ins. I expected more from a hotel at this star level.

The rooms are very small, and the emphasis on design over function sometimes proved problematic. For example, the window coverings are pretty, but it took awhile to figure out how to close them completely. The shower in the bathroom is large with a great shower-head, but there's only a small backlight, which results in a pretty dark bathroom. And the oh-so-cool bed was way too firm, even though I can usually tolerate a firm bed.

Also, sometimes even the design choices themselves were questionable. The rooms have a very cheap looking/feeling blue carpet, which hadn't even been cleaned on one of my visits. (Indeed, shortly after i checked in, I was surprised to hear a knock on the door from one of the housekeeping attendants--who was surprised to find someone in the room. He had come to clean the carpet).

My biggest issue with this hotel was the indoor pool. Again, on its surface, it was gorgeous. And the water was warm. (Also, there's a lovely little patio area between the lobby and the pool). But people in the lobby can see much of the pool area, which is a sort of voyeuristic design aspect.

Ultimately, I was seriously disappointed with this hotel. There were plenty of other small annoyances as well. There's a "main switch" for the electricity in the guest rooms, which has to be "on" before you can turn anything else on in the room. And the side entrance doors failed to open on one occasion, even though my key card worked on the room door just minutes later. Even with two elevators, it felt like the elevators were slow in coming, and I had to take an long trek to my room once I arrived on my floor. Finally, there were some nights when I would get off work, enter through the side entrance to avoid the lobby and the bar, and still have to contend with an entry floor full of loud patrons, who were there for the "hip" scene at the bar.

If you do end up here, make sure you ask for a room that isn't facing the interstate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing the interstate.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here this past weekend for a girlfriends weekend and we enjoyed it! The room was very nice and we thoroughly enjoyed the xyz bar and lounge area! The hotel was was in a great location near the mall and quite a few restaurants. My only problems were that the variety for breakfast wasn't what I'm accustomed to and it wasn't complimentary.
Other than that, it was a pleasant stay and I would have no problem staying here during future travel to the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
JamesTierneyAGM, Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I am very sorry to here about your stay with us. We at the Aloft strive for excellence in every depatment. I apprecate your feedback and will defeniatly address these issues. We are always trying to improve and can only do that when people bring things like this to our attention
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Related the the 'W' Hotel group, this property was outstanding. I was pleasantly surprised to find this gem. Staff was friendly and helpful, From Mike, the GM, to the other folks that made our stay great. Thanks Jim, Sona, Cea, and Janile! The only thing I'd change would be the water saving plumbing fixtures. Not the best. All else was great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paigh H,

Thank you for you great comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Aloft Chesapeake. We always strive to provide our guest with a unique and enjoyable lodging experience, and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We encourage you to stay with us again, and please tell all of your friend about your pleasant experience here at the Aloft Chesapeake.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have stayed at Aloft properties and enjoyed them before, so when traveling on short notice to attend a funeral I was pleased to see that there was a familiar hotel brand that I enjoyed to book our rooms at. Knowing that hotels often give rooms away later in the evening (regardless of what they say their policy is), I made a point of calling the Aloft Chesapeake to explain that I had two rooms, that we would be flying in late at night, and to please note this on our reservations as we would definitely be there. I was assured this was fine, had been notated in each reservation, and that there would be no problem. I was apprehensive when we arrived and found multiple tour buses parked in front of the hotel, but surely if they had noted this in the reservation there wouldn't be a problem, right?

Wrong. First of all, the wait to get our rooms would have been insane, except one of the front desk staff finally stopped working with the large group (hundreds of teenage kids in the lobby) to help us at the Starwood member desk, after all, that is what it is there for, right? I was then promptly told first that our rooms were given away. Then, that they would give us one room but not the second that I had booked, and then that we could wait for the hundreds of high schoolers to check in and then they would tell us if we could have our second room. They didn't believe me when I explained and called confirming our rooms and our check-in time. I was finally given two king rooms (instead of one king and two double/queen), but had to be very persistent in order to get this. If it hadn't been so late I would have tried driving around to the many other hotels in the area.

The second problem we had (once we finally had rooms) was the other guest. Apparently multiple high schools for a sports tournament were staying in this hotel, and we were assured the chaperones were going to keep them quiet. Not at all! Slamming doors, screaming in the halls, screaming in the parking lot (all after midnight), it was ridiculous. Calls to the front desk asking about security were met with disdain, and nothing was done to attempt to stop the rambunctious children. It was very clear this property could care less about their guests comfort or enjoyment of their stay.

Not only does this experience completely change my mind about staying at an Aloft Property, it makes me question staying at SPG properties moving forward. As someone who stays in hotels 40+ weeks a year (4 - 5 days per week), I do not want my money going towards a company that has so little consideration for their guests. While I realize the high school kids were an anomaly, the attitude from the staff makes it obvious that no matter what the issue we may have had was, they would not have made any attempt to resolve it. This was definitely an eye opening experience in the customer service that SPG properties provide to their guests.

Room Tip: Don't bother - they'll give your room away!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SmPenny
Dear Smpenny,

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay with us. It has always been the goal of the Aloft Chesapeake to provide our guest with the ultimate in quality, comfor and service. We obviously failed to deliver this to you during your stay, and for this I apologize.

Please contact me directly at the hotel, at your convenience. I would implore you to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves by staying with us again. I look forward to your call. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

New York, United States
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here two nights in November 2012 while visiting a college. We chose it because it was just a few minutes from Regent University and we got the room for free because of points.

Only a couple of complaints and they're minor. The room setup is very odd - when entering the room, you walk directly into the bathroom/dressing area. The beds are at the back of the room separated by a wall. The shower stall and toilet area is very small so it's impossible to get dressed in it. Therefore, you must come into the very open dressing area to get dressed. There's -zero- privacy and this can be difficult if you're staying in the room with with someone you're not very "close" with.

Also, the heat was very slow to work. Our room was pretty cold when we checked in. It took hours to bring the room temp to about 68/70 degrees. We left the room for dinner while the room warmed up. We had to keep the thermostat crankin' at 85 to keep the room at about 68 degrees. If I was staying longer, I would have asked them to either fix the problem or give me another room. For 2 nights it wasn't worth moving.

I recently spoke to someone who stayed here and had a different experience. They apparently had a spectacular room and everything was perfect. Apparently, if you stay free with points you get a so-so room.

Despite all the above, however, the room was nice, new and very clean and that's really what's important to me. The mattress was awesome and seemed new. The pillows and linens were fluffy, spotless, soft and wonderful. Slept really well.

The bar area is nice and has a fireplace which backs to a sitting area outside, so if you have drinks outside, or want to smoke, and it's cold, you can sit near the outside fireplace. I liked that.

Anyway, would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: If you stay in a room you got for free with points, prepare for a so-so room (but still very clean s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Jennifer B,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Aloft Chesapeake. As a valued SPG member we truely appreciate your business, as you have proven that you are a dedicated and loyal Starwood traveler. It has never been our intention to put SPG member statying with points in a so so room. All of our guest rooms are almost identical, and no differentiation is made as to room placement if you are an SPG member staying with points. I apologize if you got that impression, however I am pleased to hear that you were impressed by the overall comfort and cleanlinees of the room, and the layout of the bar. Again thank you for your patronage, and I encourage you to stay with us again, should you travels bring you back to the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I will never stay at any aloft ever again based on my experience here this past weekend. My mother and I stayed on the fourth floor. When we pulled up, we were horrified to see several coach buses, which I know from my eight years as a professional in the Student Affairs field meant hundreds of students had taken residence here. Students were loitering throughout the parking lot, talking, carrying on, smoking, and throwing trash on the ground. In the lobby, hundreds of people were strewn about the place. It was such a shame, we were not able to enjoy the modern beauty of this hotel because there were high school kids everywhere. I have doubts that the number of people in that lobby was within the occupancy that a fire marshall would recommend for that area. Despite our advance reservation, our room with double beds had apparently been "given away" to the student group and we had to share a king bed. I immediately pulled the manager Lori aside to ask her what the official policy here was for noise and disturbances. She assured me that they had a no tolerance policy for noise and that the coaches were already in cooperation with them to keep the kids under control. She also told me I could call down to the desk if I had any problems at night and that Maurice (I believe was his name) would take care of things.

Having stayed at hotels with my own student groups dozens of times in my career, and having stayed alongside other very large groups of students throughout my own high school and college experience, I can firmly say that this was the most poorly managed undertaking of a large student group that I have ever seen. The students literally took over the entire hotel, and the staff allowed it. They infiltrated the lobby, they covered the entire bar and every seating area, they were loud in their rooms, they were loud in the hallways, they ran through the hallways yelling, they apparently used Dominos pizza boxes as frisbees throughout the hallways, and we woke up on checkout day to a hallway and elevator covered in trash. On our last night, the students kept us up for two hours until I finally called the desk at midnight. I spoke with Maurice, who said he would "call the coach" and get it under control. A half hour later, I called again and I believe he ignored my call seeing on the caller ID that it was me again. I called one more time and he did pick up and offered to move my room. Well, moving rooms at 1:00am when you are already in bed is not exactly feasible, especially since the problem was not our own neighbor, it was everyone on the floor and sporadically. Shortly after this call, a hip hop dance group appeared in the parking lot and may have been practicing or meeting, I'm not certain what they were doing, but they were very loud and completely oblivious to the fact that other guests were trying to sleep. A picture of them is included. They stayed outside for about a half hour. One gem decided to find an unlocked car and start honking the horn. At 1:00am.

I am posting this review so that anyone else considering staying at this hotel is aware that the management and staff are completely untrained and uninterested in properly managing a huge student group. If you see buses outside this hotel, you should probably stay elsewhere if you are hoping to get some sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor and away from where any students or large groups may be gathering, practicing...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mindyc281
Dear Mindyc281,

I am sorry to hear of the unpleasant experiences you encountered during your recent stay with us. It has been the goal of the Aloft Chesapeake to provide our guests with the ultimate in quality, comfort and service, and it is obvious from what you detailed that we failed to deliver on this objective with your stay. For this I apologize!!

Please contact me directly at the hotel, at your earliest convenience, to discuss in more detail the problems you encountered. I look forward to hearing from you soon.