“Odd room setup, otherwise very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
New York, United States
“Odd room setup, otherwise very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here two nights in November 2012 while visiting a college. We chose it because it was just a few minutes from Regent University and we got the room for free because of points.

Only a couple of complaints and they're minor. The room setup is very odd - when entering the room, you walk directly into the bathroom/dressing area. The beds are at the back of the room separated by a wall. The shower stall and toilet area is very small so it's impossible to get dressed in it. Therefore, you must come into the very open dressing area to get dressed. There's -zero- privacy and this can be difficult if you're staying in the room with with someone you're not very "close" with.

Also, the heat was very slow to work. Our room was pretty cold when we checked in. It took hours to bring the room temp to about 68/70 degrees. We left the room for dinner while the room warmed up. We had to keep the thermostat crankin' at 85 to keep the room at about 68 degrees. If I was staying longer, I would have asked them to either fix the problem or give me another room. For 2 nights it wasn't worth moving.

I recently spoke to someone who stayed here and had a different experience. They apparently had a spectacular room and everything was perfect. Apparently, if you stay free with points you get a so-so room.

Despite all the above, however, the room was nice, new and very clean and that's really what's important to me. The mattress was awesome and seemed new. The pillows and linens were fluffy, spotless, soft and wonderful. Slept really well.

The bar area is nice and has a fireplace which backs to a sitting area outside, so if you have drinks outside, or want to smoke, and it's cold, you can sit near the outside fireplace. I liked that.

Anyway, would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: If you stay in a room you got for free with points, prepare for a so-so room (but still very clean s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Jennifer B,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Aloft Chesapeake. As a valued SPG member we truely appreciate your business, as you have proven that you are a dedicated and loyal Starwood traveler. It has never been our intention to put SPG member statying with points in a so so room. All of our guest rooms are almost identical, and no differentiation is made as to room placement if you are an SPG member staying with points. I apologize if you got that impression, however I am pleased to hear that you were impressed by the overall comfort and cleanlinees of the room, and the layout of the bar. Again thank you for your patronage, and I encourage you to stay with us again, should you travels bring you back to the area.

Mike Kreider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I will never stay at any aloft ever again based on my experience here this past weekend. My mother and I stayed on the fourth floor. When we pulled up, we were horrified to see several coach buses, which I know from my eight years as a professional in the Student Affairs field meant hundreds of students had taken residence here. Students were loitering throughout the parking lot, talking, carrying on, smoking, and throwing trash on the ground. In the lobby, hundreds of people were strewn about the place. It was such a shame, we were not able to enjoy the modern beauty of this hotel because there were high school kids everywhere. I have doubts that the number of people in that lobby was within the occupancy that a fire marshall would recommend for that area. Despite our advance reservation, our room with double beds had apparently been "given away" to the student group and we had to share a king bed. I immediately pulled the manager Lori aside to ask her what the official policy here was for noise and disturbances. She assured me that they had a no tolerance policy for noise and that the coaches were already in cooperation with them to keep the kids under control. She also told me I could call down to the desk if I had any problems at night and that Maurice (I believe was his name) would take care of things.

Having stayed at hotels with my own student groups dozens of times in my career, and having stayed alongside other very large groups of students throughout my own high school and college experience, I can firmly say that this was the most poorly managed undertaking of a large student group that I have ever seen. The students literally took over the entire hotel, and the staff allowed it. They infiltrated the lobby, they covered the entire bar and every seating area, they were loud in their rooms, they were loud in the hallways, they ran through the hallways yelling, they apparently used Dominos pizza boxes as frisbees throughout the hallways, and we woke up on checkout day to a hallway and elevator covered in trash. On our last night, the students kept us up for two hours until I finally called the desk at midnight. I spoke with Maurice, who said he would "call the coach" and get it under control. A half hour later, I called again and I believe he ignored my call seeing on the caller ID that it was me again. I called one more time and he did pick up and offered to move my room. Well, moving rooms at 1:00am when you are already in bed is not exactly feasible, especially since the problem was not our own neighbor, it was everyone on the floor and sporadically. Shortly after this call, a hip hop dance group appeared in the parking lot and may have been practicing or meeting, I'm not certain what they were doing, but they were very loud and completely oblivious to the fact that other guests were trying to sleep. A picture of them is included. They stayed outside for about a half hour. One gem decided to find an unlocked car and start honking the horn. At 1:00am.

I am posting this review so that anyone else considering staying at this hotel is aware that the management and staff are completely untrained and uninterested in properly managing a huge student group. If you see buses outside this hotel, you should probably stay elsewhere if you are hoping to get some sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor and away from where any students or large groups may be gathering, practicing...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mindyc281
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Mindyc281,

I am sorry to hear of the unpleasant experiences you encountered during your recent stay with us. It has been the goal of the Aloft Chesapeake to provide our guests with the ultimate in quality, comfort and service, and it is obvious from what you detailed that we failed to deliver on this objective with your stay. For this I apologize!!

Please contact me directly at the hotel, at your earliest convenience, to discuss in more detail the problems you encountered. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Greenville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I liked the place in general, finding the place with Hotwire.com I didn't really choose the place but just found myself there with my wife and our 18 months old son.
I like the fact the staff act like normal people, their service was great and I don't like the way sometimes staff members in hotels smile too much or behaving like you are the Christ who has just came into their lobby. Enough with this American nonsense! The fact you paid 65$ for hotel room doesn't mean you are special in any way.
But, mainly because of the architecture, this place is not for toddlers:
1. The room was too small for holding a baby crib and still be comfortable.
2. There is no bath or any comfortable way the wash a child in the shower.
3. The frost glass that separated the shower from the room forced me to take my shower in the dark in order to leave the sleeping zone darkened for my sleeping son.
4. The fact the bathroom door couldn't be closed normally kept me thinking all the time, maybe I'm too noisy..
5. With a child you usually needs a normal sink, microwave and trash bins, not mention some room to arrange his meal.

Nevertheless, the fact we could go to sit in the bar and play some pool after our son fell asleep, using our monitor of course, was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear N C,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am gratified that you found our service so accomodating. Aloft offers a unique lodging experience, and I am sorry to hear that you did not find the room layour accomodating for children. We pride ourselves on the service we deliver, and I am glad that you felt so welcome. Thank you for your patronage!!!!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Have stayed at many different Alofts around the world since Starwood opened the brand. Got to say that this one does match up well to the brand standards and the whole customer experience.

Staff was very open and friendly. Lobby area, bar and breakfast nook all well setup and stocked. Check in and out was fast and easy. Staff knowledgeable about the area and provides helpful advice.

Plus : Room AC was very qiuet (unlike some other Alofts with window units that are noisy).

Just to point out from some of the other reviews that I understand the Aloft brand may not be for everyone. If you dislike somewhat of a party vibe in the lobby and public areas, maybe this is not for you., However, if you are looking for a place to relax and shoot some pool or grab a drink after work, this place meets that need.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sometimes Flyer,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. As you are a frequent Aloft traveler, it is especially gratifying to hear of your loyalty to the Aloft brand, and your great experience staying with us, and the fact that we compare favorably with the other Alofts that you have stayed at. It has always been our goal to embrace the Aloft standards and values, and provide our guests with the ultimate in quality, comfort and satisfaction, while delivering the unique experience Aloft travelers have come to expect. Again, thank you for your patronage.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

It wasn't what I expected but was pleasantly surprised - staff and restaurant were amazing and they were accomadating in everyway - I would certainly recommend this place to any and every one - the food was amazing and the exercise availability was great

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris C,

Thanks your for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Aloft Chesapeake. It is always been our goal to provide each of our guest the ultimate in quality, comfort and satisfaction, and I am pleased that you found our staff so accomodating. Please let all your friends know about your great stay!!! Thanks you for your patronage!!!
Apex, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

So I read several reviews before choosing this place (majority negative). However it was a great deal, $75. Now I see why. I stayed this past weekend. The lobby is beautiful, but the rooms are definitely lacking. They are set up like a dorm room. Desk on each side with the window. No microwave, only mini-fridge. Had several issues with internet connection going in and out and "engineer" had to fix it. Room could have been cleaner. Dust everywhere. Looks like it had been a month or more before anyone else had been there. Poor tv quality. Shower door is awkward and results in lots of water on floor.

Morning front desk was awesome. The lady there at 3p-11p was not, she was busy talking to her friends and eating at the desk. Lots of kids in the lobby and fitness room at all hours. Highly inappropriate with the bar right in the lobby. Would have been better if there was a game room for the children. I could go on and on, but you get the jest and that's the meat of it. Not going back. So many options in that area to have to put up with that.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want a great stay. Trust the reviews. That is why the rate is so low. I b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheab_2007
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just spent the weekend here with my youth hockey team.

The place looks and feels brand new. The rooms were spacious, modern and green. I've never been to an aloft, but was impressed with the decor and layout of the rooms.

The staff was very, very friendly and were happy to be our hosts.

Spent a lovely evening in the lobby area with the team parents. It is spacious and very comfortable.

What a great value!

Randy Wong
Hockey Manager
MYHA Blue Devils
Rockville, MD

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Michael K, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Randall W,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. It has always been our goal to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable stay. We are extremely pleased that your stay was enjoyable, and hope that you recommend us to all your friends. We enjoyed having your youth hockey team, and look forward to hosting your team again. Again thank you for your patronage.