“Disappointing-Nothing Special”
Review of aloft Chesapeake

aloft Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I stayed at the aloft for a night with my extended family while we were on our way to the Outer Banks for vacation. It was just after Hurricane Irene had come through, and we stayed here overnight while awaiting the reopening of the Outer Banks.

I was actually very disappointed with this hotel. I had never stayed at an aloft before, but was excited to try one, as I am a big fan of Starwood hotels and the W chain. I was hoping aloft would offer a similar experience to W, at a lower price point. I’m in my twenties and embrace trendy and modern, but I think this hotel really misses the mark.

We arrived at the hotel around 10 pm to check in, and right away the front desk staff turned me off. They were very unprofessional. The staff doesn’t dress professionally at all, and they were standing around talking to what appeared to be their friends visiting them at work, rather than helping guests. Even beyond that, check-in was extremely slow, although I wasn’t quite sure why. It seemed as if it was painful for them to check us in and welcome us to the hotel. Another guest who was also checking in was having similar issues. There was some sort of problem with his reservation and it just didn’t seem that the staff had any interest in helping resolve the issue. The attitude was more ‘tough luck’ than anything else.

Beyond the check-in, the lobby itself isn’t nice to me. I look for a hotel to be a relaxing and serene place, and this sure isn’t that. The music was absolutely blaring, beyond the point of being fun for a hotel lobby. The music is so loud that we were literally shouting to check-in. This isn’t really how I like to be welcomed to a hotel, and I was embarrassed to bring older members of my family through this space. Everything in the lobby also just looks very industrial and mismatched. I assume this is an attempt at being trendy, but I just think it comes off looking cheap.

We had 2 rooms, a regular room with 2 queens and a handicap-accessible room with 2 queens for my grandparents. We had requested that the 2 rooms be near one another. They were luckily both on the top floor of the hotel (away from the lobby noise), but still at completely different ends of the floor. Not a big deal, but I think the hotel could have done a better job of honoring our request.

The rooms themselves are ok. The handicapped room was actually much nicer than the regular room. It was in a corner of the hotel and was much larger, in order to accommodate wheelchairs. In addition, it just seemed to have higher ceilings. The only real difference was that the shower was just an extension of the bathroom with a shower curtain, so I was told water leaked all over the bathroom.

The regular room we had was a bit small. The rooms are modern and decorated predominantly in white and gray. They’re very drab, and nothing impressive at all. I think the non-traditional layout of the rooms is meant to hide the fact that the rooms are really very small. I was a fan of the bathroom, though, with its great shower. I liked the design of the shower with a frosted glass panel to let in light from the room. The sink area, which is separate from the shower and toilet, did have a lot of counter space as well. The sliding door that closes off the shower and toilet was quite heavy and awkward to try to close. Instead of an actual closet, the rooms have an area to hang clothes by the bathroom that has a curtain to pull across. There was nothing functionally wrong with the room. It was clean and relatively new, but it was nothing special to us.

In terms of location, this hotel is located just off of I-64 (the hotel is right on the edge of the highway), but we didn’t hear any highway noise. It is positioned sideways in relation to the highway, so I don’t think any rooms overlook the road. It is located right by a mall and variety of chain restaurants and shopping centers. It is positioned in a row of several hotels that all face each other and somewhat share parking lots. Our room looked out at the SpringHill Suites next door. It was a convenient location for us, since we wanted to get right back on I-64 in the morning to continue our drive.

Also, be aware that there aren’t ice machines on any of the floors, despite there being ice buckets in each room. You can ask for ice at the front desk, which I did, but they provided one very small bag of ice. This wasn’t enough to refill a cooler that we had. It was all the ice that was in their freezer at the moment, and the staff didn’t offer to get any more ice above this small quantity or let us know when more would be available. This was just another example of mediocre service.

All in all, I was disappointed in this hotel. The rates are great, and I was hoping for a hotel that lived up to the W brand that it advertises being a part of. I guess you get what you pay for. The staff left a lot to be desired, and the lobby itself was incredibly unpleasant. It was too loud to be fun. The regular rooms were drab and small, really nothing to write home about. The hotel served well enough for one night, but with the large number of hotels in the area, I don’t think I would choose to come back here in the future.

Room Tip: Handicap-accessible rooms are larger and nicer than the regular rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 5, 2011

This place rocks! Room design, lobby, enclosed outdoor seating, gym, martini bar, game area... It's all very cool. If you haven't done so already, check out their website to see photos. The beds were very comfortable. Nice big flat screen TV mounted on the wall. Padded bench in between two desk areas which could also be used as countertops. There was one above counter sink bowl with a lot of counter top/vanity space. The shower/toilet area is closed off by a non-locking slider door (very cool, but the ability to lock the bathroom door would be nice). Shower is awesome tile walk-in (no tub). Check out the elevator floors! They move like liquid when you take a step. Very close to many restaurants and shopping mall. Definitely worth a stay! Stay here!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Lots of girls going to the gymnastics meet Dec.2-4!!! Of all the great reviews, I think it will be a great stay. Lots of stellar reviews, beautiful pics.My girls can't wait to use the pool after the meet! Please wish them luck! We are so excited! Some of our friends from our gymnastics recommended it to us and so far 4 of us are going from the same gym. See you guys at the meet, thanks!

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank hopefulmomma2
aloftchesapeake, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Greetings Hopefulmomma !!! Thank you for your enthusiasm and excitement as you look forward to staying with us !!! We have hosted several gymnastic groups with us before as well as soccer and hockey teams and everybody has enjoyed what we have to offer !!! We look forward to your stay with us and we'll see you soon ... your friends at Aloft Chesapeake !!! Chris Tanner, General Manager

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I recently stayed at the aloft Chesapeake and was vey suprised how modern the hotel is. The lobby is absolutely great to do business during the day and enjoy a delicious cocktail at night ( Thanks Lauren).

What really impressed me the most, was the food. I was tired and didn't feel like going to one of the many chain restaurants in the area. So I just ordered a salad and a sub and it was absolutely great. I have stayed in many hotels but this was by far the best food I have had in a hotel. They make simple food with a little twist and I can only recommend it to anyone. Needless to say I ate at the hotel , lunch and dinner for the rest of my stay.

The rooms are not huge but very comfortable. The 42inch TV was my favourite but also the shower, as I really don't enjoy to take showers in a bathtub.

Each employee that I encountred was very friendly and went the extra step. Big compliments to Brittney, she was very friendly and welcoming.

I certainly will be back at the aloft chesapeake and I can only recommend anybody travelling to this area to stay at aloft.

Thanks, Sral

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Greetings Sral S !!! Thank you for visiting us all the way from Germany and we are glad you enjoyed your stay !!! We believe that we have the friendliest staff in the area and thank you for acknowledging that !!! We also thank you for discovering our 'twist" and the food that we cook and serve, we dont claim to be fancy but we do serve food that we hope is different and enjoyable !!! We look forward to your next visit to the area and don't be shy to say Aloha ... your friends from Aloft Chesapeake !!! Chris Tanner, General Manager

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Thank you guys for the reviews! I will be staying at the hotel December 2-4 2011. My daughters Riley and Olivia have a gymnastics competition right down the street at Ocean Tumblers. I hope that everything is OK when we go. About a year ago, me and Riley went to a gymnastics meet in PA, Riley cried for an hour in the middle of the night b/c the night club was just below us. She was so upset, I felt terrible! Riley is a 9 yr. old level 8, and she has 3 sisters that do gymnastics, Olivia level 6/7 age 11, Julia level 6 age 8, and Erin level 5 age 7. Olivia, Julia, and Erin have a meet at Ocean Tumblers that same weekend, I hope they all sleep ok! :) I'm bringing lots of ear plugs incase! Please comment back!
****** Wish Riley, Olivia, Julia, and Erin luck!!!!********** Thank you!

Room Tip: Go above the 4 floor!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Lauren C
aloftchesapeake, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Greetings Lauren C !!! We thank you for choosing to stay at our Aloft ... however we think you have pre-judged us in your rankings of our hotel before you stayed. We aren't quite sure why you dont feel that we are a "value" to you and the other low ratings ... we of course believe that once you stay your rankings will be raised !!! if you have stayed at Alofts before or read the reviews, yes we have a WXYZ lounge that does stay quite active until midnight. Upon check-in please mention that you have young children or that you need a higher floor due to the gymnastics meet in the am and we will make sure that your request is followed ... however since we discovered your review we are all ready anticipating your stay with us and we are confident you will sleep peacefully ... your friends at Aloft Chesapeake !!! Chris Tanner, General Manager

Reviewed November 11, 2011

I recently stayed here(under better judgement)and found nothing but the most fun I have ever had at a hotel! First me and my husband had drinks at their lounge after we settled in and there was a group playing pool(but was a little loud for my taste). The lovely bartender(Whom I never got her name)said we could sit outside(which I didn't know was there)and had a nice scenic view of the clear sky with the sound of interstate 64 quietly humming in a distance . That morning was the best! My husband hit the gym and I had breakfast. They had a nice spread of your average Continental breakfast items and juices. But as I was getting my coffee all of a sudden the wall opens up and there's a chef! I was shocked! He kinda Startled me at first because he is a really big masculine guy. Anyway he asked if there was anything he could do for me and I told him I was dealing with a bit of a overnight-er. And he said I got the perfect thing. And he made(no exaggeration)the best scrambled eggs I've ever had!! I mean it was loaded! He gave me his name...but to the death of me I can't remember it..sorry. But overall a very nice experience thank you!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
aloftchesapeake, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

Greetings Lilmoon !!! Thank You for going against your better judgement ... as you found out, there are plenty of things to find and like at the Aloft !!! We appreciate hearing about the friendly bar staff as well as our new Chef who loves to delight guests with his culinary skills !!! The Wow factor is always a pleasant find at any hotel and we are glad that you found it with us !!! We look forward to your next visit with us ... your friends at Aloft Chesapeake !!! Chris Tanner, General Manager

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Several months ago I decided to make aloft Chesapeake my new choice for accommodations during my regular visits to the area for work. I have always been most impressed with the lobby bar and the level of service provided by the bartender, particulary the gentleman who usually works as the head chef at this location. Let's face it, the best part of the aloft brand is the great lobby and bar area. One can certainly find a better room(with air conditioning) in this neighborhood at a better rate.
I have noticed the hotel likes to tout it's energy efficient AC system. I think it's just another way of saying they don't have AC. There is no indication the rooms have AC, other than a thermostat on the wall which always reads 76 degrees. During each of my stays I always attempt to lower the thermostat to 69, but the temp will never go below 74. If you like to maintain a comfortable temperature in your room I would recommend any other hotel.
If you are like me and enjoy winding down at the lobby bar after a long day of work, you might want to consider this next point. The bar's hours of operation vary dramatically. I paid extra for a room on my past trip which included two drink vouchers. Unfortunately, the bar closed early and I was out of luck. The extra money I spent for this package was wasted and the manager looked at me like I had a third eye in my forehead when I attempted to explain my frustrations. I feel like I was cheated and not respected as a regular guest. The manager and staff made no attempts to resolve this issue at the time I brought it to their attention. There were any number of easy fixes they could have done to accommodate me, but they chose to brush off my concerns.
There are many of other great properties in the immediate area which are consistent with their levels of service, have air conditioned rooms, and respect their regular customers. Chesapeake aloft has lost my business. Other business travellers should take note.

Room Tip: Rooms do not seem to have functioning air conditioners. Do not purchase room packages with drink vo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank R0bertG
aloftchesapeake, General Manager at aloft Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Greetings RobertG !!! First of all, I wish to express my sincere apology that you were disappointed with your last stay with us and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I understand your frustrations with the A/C unit, however I really do need to point out that our system is a water cooled system and it not "controlled" in the rooms, but rather by the Operations of the hotel. With the weather being cool right now, the hotel is set up to being heated and when 1 room needs to go to A/C, it does take a bit of time to happen, and you will not feel or hear air being turned off or on as is the case in most hotels. With a call to the front desk the situation can be remedied. As for the bar closing early, once again my apologies, when it is empty and nobody is there, we need to close it down, the bar will always be open until at least 10pm, and in this case being 10:30, there weren't any customers to service. It is a definite training opportunity as the desk does not always realize when an Expedia reservation that was made that same day contains a drink voucher promotion, this is not a rate that is booked often. As stated when we spoke, I promised to make it up to you upon your next visit with us, however at the time you had not mentioned the A/C issue. You have my card, please feel free to contact me at any time for further discussion, Sincerely Chris Tanner, General Manager