“Excellent Stay”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I booked this hotel through hotwire and got an excellent rate. This is a beautiful hotel, well appointed, clean, and upscale enough to entertain friends and family. Check in was easy. I was not extremely pleased with the attitude of one of the ladies who checked me in, I did glance at her name tag, but after a 12 hour drive I was too tired to remember it. She is an African American lady with a single braid. I asked her for a double room, as the option was not offered on the Hotwire site. She did not want to do so, even though the lady next to her directed her to do so. After some hesitation, we were provided our room keys for a double room. I was initially not pleased that we were placed near the elevators, but we did not hear a thing, our stay was peaceful and undisturbed. The room was extremely clean, spacious, and up to date. The bathroom was spotless, and towels were plentiful. We made use of the large exercise room, indoor pool, and bar. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Charles P, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

We are pleased to hear that your stay was excellent. We apologize if there was any confusion during your check-in process. Since most third-party booking agencies (including Hotwire) usually do not guarantee room types, those reservations default to what the hotel has available the day of check-in. Our hosts try to accomodate each guest's preference as much as they can, and we are glad they were able to do so for your stay. Thank you for your feedback.

Jennifer Hunt, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Mariya goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome. Lobby is perfect for entertaining a business client, service from the bar area is spectacular Makes business travel worth it . The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Southern hospitality at its best! Wifi no problems, works like a charm Looking forward to my next visit.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

We are pleased that you have taken your time to give our hotel an excellent review for your second stay. Mariya is truly a brilliant host who ensures each guest receives the warmest of welcomes during his or her stay. Thank you for recognizing her in your review, and also for your continued patronage to our property.

Jennifer Hunt, Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2014

A little messy on check-in when the room reserved was not provided. This was on a reservations mess up, not the hotel. Lots of points for the front desk staff for finding another room that matched my reservation even though the hotel was full.

Everything nicely maintained. A good (and lively) bar. There are numerous restaurants and outside bars and a Target within a couple of minutes of the FREE parking. Yea for that. The room rate was right around $110 (AAA) and with the executive floor access/upgrade it was very good value. Morning breakfast was ample, well stocked, and well kept.

It's about 20 minutes to downtown Norfolk and worked perfectly for an 8am meeting within three blocks of the hotel on Woodlake. Yea for that too.

I'd been staying around the airport -- this works a lot better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the rear of the property and the "canal"
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Probably2Picky
Charles P, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are delighted that your stay with the Norfolk Marriott Chesapeake was enjoyable.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was an wxcellent hotel. As I was going to be in the Chesapeake / Norfolk area for a weekend I needed something that was going to be convenient for my needs. The hotel was right off of the highway and was easy to get to but there were a few clusters of hotels around and the traffic light situation was a little taxing. But that was fine. The hotel upon check-in was very well-kept in the lobby. They advertised that they recently renovated and it showed. It was top-notch! The attendants at the front desk were a little slow (confused at times about using the system) but assured me that it would only be a few minutes longer and they did get it together. The room was very well maintained and clean. Actually, it was SUPER clean and smelled very fresh. There was high speed internet throughout the hotel and it was very reliable. Their pool / fitness area was also very maintained. It wasn't the biggest fitness area but they had enough equipment to serve my needs. There is a full bar in the lobby which was a nice touch because I didn't have a wine opener and they supplied me with one to keep. The drinks were a little pricey but the bartenders on duty were SUPER friendly and attentive. They also serve a breakfast there but that too can be pricey. I suggest eating at the restaurant down the hall in the hotel as it was a little less expensive and it was delicious. The waitress also made suggestions to bring our price down to a lower cost as some members of out party only wanted certain things for a meal. Overall, I loved my stay at this hotel. The staff at the front desk greeted me every time I walked through the lobby and that was nice. There are plenty of other hotels in the area with probably lower rates but at the rate I paid per night, I couldn't be happier. I would stay here each time I'm in town.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank mjsmoke
Charles P, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. We are delighted that your stay with the Norfolk Marriott Chesapeake was enjoyable.

Charles Perrell
Marriott Chesapeake
mhrs.orfgr.gm@marriott.com
757-523-1500

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I cashed in one of my Marriott Elite Rewards at this property which was close enough to Virginia Beach, which was our real destination. I will say that I was extremely pleased with the entire experience, especially since my expectations weren't that high going in as our stay was a freebie and essentially "comped". Starting with the front desk help (I wish I got her name) -- she was fantastic, excellent, and every other positive adjective you can think of! She allowed us super early check-in (like 11:00 a.m.), upgraded our room to a junior suite on the concierge level and allowed late checkout (like 2 hours+), and gifted us vouchers for breakfast to the hotel restaurant (725 Bistro)! You really cannot beat this deal -- and don't forget to throw in the extremely nice/cheerful/overly-accommodating/professional/friendly front desk, clean rooms/property, extremely comfortable beds, Starbucks coffee in the lobby/bar, and the concierge was open on the weekend! The concierge was not open for operations for the weekend, but it was open for self-serve water, soft drinks, juices, etc. -- this was great...and unlike any other Marriott's property I've visited (I'm a Platinum Elite member); I wish others would do the same! All told, a wonderful weekend get-away experience...!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the concierge level -- there seemed to be hardly anyone up there, and knowing...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Doc_DA_111

Charles Perrell
Marriott Chesapeake
mhrs.orfgr.gm@marriott.com
757-523-1500

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed here for one night because I was in town for an event.

When we arrived, our room smelled like cigarettes. I called downstairs and I asked if it was a smoking room. The woman at the front desk informed me that they are a non-smoking facility. When I politely told her that our room smelled like someone had just smoked a cigarette inside, she offered to send someone up with air freshener. I didn't say anything.

Then she said, "I can move you to a smaller room on the 6th floor." I almost said yes to this - way better than a smoke room. Then she said, "Actually, I'll upgrade you." So we ended up in a large suite-style room which was very nice and clean. There was a note on the bed for someone named Courtney, though, kind of odd, nothing weird.

The restaurant area downstairs looked really nice and clean, so we decided to keep it simple and have dinner there. There were only a couple of other groups eating, didn't seem very busy. After our waitress hadn't heard of any of the beers we ordered (which were on their menu), then brought us the wrong beers, then the appetizers took 25 minutes (edamame and hummus), we decided to have dinner elsewhere. We thanked her, paid our tab and left a tip, then made other arrangements.

After our dinner, we decided to order some beers from the bar downstairs. When the bartender asked if she could help me, I asked for 5 Blue Moons, draft (which I'd had earlier when we had our appetizers). Her response: "You know there's a Wawa across the street, right?" -- that's all I needed to hear. I certainly wasn't going to beg someone to wait on me. We left and purchased our beer elsewhere.

Here's the kicker.

My partner woke up around 3:00 a.m. to get a water from the vending machine in the hall. Our door would not open - the deadbolt wouldn't turn. He woke me up and I tried, too. It wouldn't budge. So we called the front desk and they said they'd send someone up.

TWENTY MINUTES LATER a nice gentleman from security came and was able to open the door after a few minutes. He said he couldn't fix the door and that an engineer would arrive at 5:00 a.m. to fix it. Needless to say, we didn't get ANY sleep. Then he told us to call him if we needed to get out before then. UM NO! Not to be dramatic, but truly, if there had been a fire, we would have been screwed. We rigged the door to stay open and attempted to sleep for a couple of hours, but it's difficult knowing that you and your belongings are not at all secure and in a public place. No one ever came to fix the door while we were there, not at 5:00 and not when we checked out. Oh, and after all that, the vending machine was broken and my partner had to go to another floor to purchase a water.

When we checked out, my partner reminded them about the door just to prevent this from happening to someone else. The woman at the desk said nonchalantly, "I'm sorry about that." We wouldn't have asked for or accepted a discount or comp, but it really would have been nice to have been offered.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SMC_OBX
Charles P, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

If at all possible I wouldl like to discuss with you the scenario that took place during your stay.. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Front desk was great when we checked in. The room was nice and clean. We ate dinner in the lounge it was very good, our server Tammy gave us outstanding service. She suggested the She Crab soup which was really good. We look forward to many returns to this hotel when visiting our grandchildren!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles P, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014