“Great hotel”

Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I enjoyed my stay here. The room was nice and the bed was comfortable. The staff are also responsive. I noticed there was something on my sheets and called to have them changed. I went out for the evening and they were changed when I came back to the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ckper53, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this review, December 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Marriott Chesapeake.

With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. Your feedback will be shared with the team to continue to inspire and motivate them to deliver exceptional customer service.

Thank you for staying at the Marriott Chesapeake and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to Chesapeake.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed here on June 17-19 for the Anime Mid Atlantic Convention. And I must say the hotel is beautiful, the staff will go out of their way to make sure you have an excellent time. I asked the front desk if they had any firm pillows because the pillows in the room are non existent soft. They didn't have a firm pillows but they gave us few more foam pillows. The rooms are awesome and the bed is very comfy. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Book your room by calling them directly
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShinGokuIAM

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

We were moving to the Virginia Beach area and choose this hotel due to it was close to our new home. When I booked the trip the hotel agent explained to me that since it was Memorial Weekend 1 night of our stay would have to be Advance paied or Prepaid. I agreed and gave the agent my card number. When I arrived at the hotel on Saturday 05/28/11 I told the desk agent that I needed to check in and went to hand her my card. The front desk agent then told me my stay of 6 night ($860.00) (we were scheduled to stay for 13 nights) was prepaid to my card already. I asked her how did they decide to charge me for the 6 night and who gave them permission to charge my card for part of the stay. Neither the desk agent or the front desk supervisior could answer the questions or give a explination on the reason they choose 6 nights versus the whole stay or why they did not follow their policy and charge me for one night. After discussing this with the 2 they said once I check out any remaining balance would be refund upon check out. Neither of the desk agents were helpful or showed any care to resove or attempt to resolve the issue.

When I went to check out on Monday 05/30/11 the front desk agent told me she was not authorized to check me out and issue a refund since the room had been advance paid. She gave me the name of 2 managers to call and she assured me they would be in on Monday 05/30/11 ay 9 am. I called and left a message for a lady named Jennifer twice on Monday and once on Tuesday, she did not call me back about until late in the afternoon on Tuesday. I had to return to the hotel to get a receipt and check on the status of the refund. Again neither of the desk agents were very friendly and a guy who looked like he had not shaved in days came over and started telling me that the whole issue was my fault and I should have known that I was going to be advance paying for the stay. I also sent an e-mail to the managment company, Crestline Hotels & Resorts, Inc, on 05/28/11 and as of today I still have not gotten a response. It looks like customer service lack all the way to the top with the local hotel and the managment company.

The hotel front desk staff was not helpful, did not even apoligize for the issue and showed no care or concern to fix the issue. On Saturday 05/28/11 after I tried to discuss the issue with the front desk I went back to my room and told my wife I would have been happy with a I am sorry for the mix up and we will get this issue correct. It would have ben amazing how if the staff just said those few words it would have made things ok. I hope that the hotel managment can retrain the front desk staff on customer service.

Overall the hotel was a nice hotel, the rooms were nice and the maid staff was GREAT!

Room Tip: Do not agree to advance pay any part of your stay
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank joshlopez1
jon_siebring, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Chesapeake, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you for taking time to talk with us to resolve your concerns. We will use your feedback to improve our communications with travel agents who sell our advance-purchase rates. We strive to make every guest happy with his/her stay and we thank you for your kind compliments on our housekeeping staff. I will share your suggestions for service improvement and your compliments with our staff. With your feedback, we will continue to improve our staff training and guest experiences.

Jon Siebring
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

My husband and I visited this hotel in our quest find one to host a military reunion for WW II and Korean War veterans. This one, because of other reviews and the ability to easily accomodate our group, was on the short list. I should note that our stay was complimentary due to the fact that we wanted to see if it would work for our group and were meeting with a hotel representative. The hotel, quite modern and lovely on the inside, does not have a scenic view and is probably used more by business travelers than vacationers, but is located such that there is easy access to the Interstate nearby. Also, it would be difficult to walk to any nearby restaurant or other shopping option, but one can easily drive a very short distance and find anything needed...a variety of good restaurants, nice mall with some upscale shops, another strip-type mall with various shops, a movie theatre with dinner options, grocery stores, drug store, etc. There is no airport transportation provide or other shuttle service. There is a Triangle Car Rental agency across the highway, if one is inclined to rent a car while there. There is also a Wawa gas station across the highway that is quite large and offers many things, including, I'm told, some good sandwiches and other food. It is easy to refuel before hitting the road again after a stay.

The hotel is beautifully decorated and the lobby is attractive with a bar area that also serves light fare in the evening. Our reception was friendly and pleasant. There is a sundry shop in the lobby which carries a variety of things, especially nice for the business traveler...including a man's white dress shirt. There are meeting and conference facilities, and a restaurant with an additional bar area. The restaurant, unlike the guestrooms, has a nice view of a garden area. We only had breakfast in the restaurant during our one-night stay, and ordered from the menu rather than having the buffet because we weren't terribly hungry. Afterward, we wished we had just ordered the buffet because it includes beverages. We found the menu prices to be a high for breakfast -- $2 for coffee, $3 for a small glass of juice, $9 for the plated breakfast I ordered (eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast). The buffet was $12, I believe, and would have included the same items we both ordered from the menu. Also, the restaurant was not busy at the time we were there -- there was only 1 other couple there when we entered. Our service was not as quick as it should have been for such a small number of people. Having said that, I also think that the slow season may affect the number of people kept on duty each shift, maybe making it more difficult to provide timely service. The restaurant employees we encountered were very friendly and pleasant.

The rooms are nicely appointed, and I LOVE the bright lights in the bathroom! One can easily see to apply makeup, etc. The vanity, while quite pretty, is too high and the sink back too far from the edge of the counter, making it difficult for the shorter person to use. It would be very difficult for a child to use without assistance. or for anyone under 5'3" to use comfortably. The LED reading lights on the headboard are a nice touch, allowing one to read in bed without disturbing the other. Standard rooms are available with either one king or two double beds...no queens. The rooms all have a small refrigerator, but no microwave. I understand that microwaves are available upon request, however. The beds are comfortable, although some may find the comforter to be too hot for the climate. We threw it back and used only the sheet, although our room temp was set on 69 degrees. (The day time temps during our stay were around 68-70, sunny and nice.) There is also a chair with ottoman, another chair at the desk, a flat-screen TV, a hair dryer, and a nice iron and sturdy full-size ironing board. There is a full-length mirror provided.

Because we were looking at the hotel for use by a group, I also looked at ADA rooms. One had a roll-in shower, the other a walk-in shower. There was room for a wheelchair to move easily about the bedroom, more so with the two doubles than the king, but enough in the king.

The only 'cons' for me, other then the too-high bathroom vanity, are these: 1) The coffee makers provided are absolutely terrible, and not what I would expect from a Marriott of this price range. They are very small, making only one cup at a time, and the coffee provided it too strong and bitter for the size of the pot. Terrible coffee, in my opinion. I'm sure, though, that there are others who do not mind it. The coffee packets are one use only, made of flimsy plastic that deforms after one use, so really not suitable to try and reuse. Also, the room is supplied with only one packet of regular and one of decaf, so if there are two guests in the room who would like coffee, a choice will need to be made. Also, there isn't an option to have coffee at night and again in the morning for more than one guest without requesting more coffee from guest services. The cups provided (also two) are styrofoam. You may call the desk to request more coffee if you desire. There are also little containers of 'Half and Half'. These are the commercial type found in many restaurants, and are not refrigerated. Additionally, there are tea packets and sweenteners provided, all in a nice wooden box. However, it all sits on the bathroom counter. I dislike this because hair tends to get on and in the coffee maker (and the supply box), it takes up too much space on the bathroom counter (especially if there are two women sharing a room), and it prevents one guest from using the coffee maker if another guest is in the bathroom. Coffee makers should NEVER be placed in the bathroom, although I understand that it is done because the water is in there. There is Starbucks coffee available in the lobby for the usual Starbucks price. I jokingly asked if Starbucks provided the coffee makers for the room, thinking it is a very good way to entice people to go to the lobby and purchase their coffee...if one wishes to pay that much for coffee. The restaurant also serves Starbucks coffee. 2) The ADA bathrooms have only one small corner 'shelf' (about a 4" triangle) large enough to hold only a bar of soap. There is no place for a handicapped person, especially one in a wheel chair, to put other toiletries needed except on the floor. It would be very difficult for the person to retrieve these items from the floor to use them. I mentioned this to the hotel representative showing us the facilities, and she said this had not been previously noted, but she could see that it could be an issue and would look into improving it. I liked that attitude! and 3) The charge to use the business center computer access is $.60 per minute. I find that extreme. The hotel representative said that this charge is due to the fact that the hotel does not operate the business center. It is apparently owned by an outside firm. It should be noted, however, that there is complimentary service in the hotel rooms for those with laptops, and there is a complimentary computer kiosk in the lobby allowing guests to check flights and print boarding passes.

All in all, this seem to be a very nice hotel, and the staff and sales team seem to be willing to go the "extra mile" to make your stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

I live in a Marriott for 6-8 weeks out of my year for business and have always been impressed by Marriott's cleanliness, attention to detail and impeccable customer service. My husband and I stopped over at the Marriott Norfolk Chesapeake on our way to the OBX. Another wonderful Marriott! Check in was easy and the staff so friendly and attentive. The room was just what I had asked for - extra towels and feather free. We had a great stay - the room was newly renovated - very modern and up to date. There was some kind of soccer event going on so there was a bunch of kids staying at the hotel and we didn't hear a thing from our room - I was very pleased. My husband and I will definitely stay at this hotel again on our way to the OBX. The AAA rate is also very reasonable for a Marriott - worth every penny!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Marriott Chesapeake..

Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

As we entered the lobby it was picturesque. The staff was very pleasant! The kids enjoyed the swimming pool and we enjoyed the fitness center. The room was clean, the internet was free, we were able to hook up the PS3 and dvd's to the very nice large tv. I would definitely recommend this hotel. My family and I enjoyed the hotel and its ammenities. We also received a complimentary cup of coffee and pastry at the bistro. One evening when the children wanted a snack there was a snack stand in the lobby for a fee and fresh apples that was served free daily. As I said, I would definitely recommend this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank landa12

Deep South
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

This Marriott is a renovated property that is very convenient to Chesapeake via Military Hwy (13) and points south. The rooms are excellent. There are two bars, and the restaurant is very good. The only caveat is that this Marriott has those trendy weird bathrooms with only one small towel bar, and a fixed pane of glass in the shower. At least in this hotel the controls are reachable from outside the shower so no sudden sprays of hot or cold water. I don't know if all the baths are like this. In any event, they could be remodeled at small cost to be more in line with American expectations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Marriott Chesapeake..