“changed my mind”

Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed June 27, 2013

not a lover of the Hyatt Place properties but this place was really nice. the people were helpful and friendly, the room was spacious and the breakfast was very good, a little limited but good. I am diamond with Hyatt and I would go back to this property

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed one night, mid trip. Room was fine, actually pretty good as hotel rooms at this tier go: large, comfortable, clean. Bland decor but fine for a night. Pool was nice: clean and plenty of towels and dry chairs. Workout room was small and scarcely stocked. Could have used more, better equipment. Lobby is attractive although has eating tables throughout. Odd to walk through hotel front door into a cafeteria setting. Better if it was confined off to one side. Buffet breakfast was fine, although i noticed no meats (bacon, sausage, etc.). Bit odd. Plenty of healthy food options which was nice. Staff was very friendly but front desk was woefully understaffed. One person frantically doing 3+ jobs: check in, answering calls, and tending the "bar" (if you can call the tiny table a bar). In the morning one person was doing check out, answering calls, and cleaning the breakfast area. In fact when we went to checkout there was no one at the desk; he was sweeping the food area floors. Hope management will adequately staff the front. Worth the expense as it is the first and last customer impression.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CW1234
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier hotel located on 709 Eden Way North, Chesapeake 05/23/2013 to 05/26/2013. My Uncle who lived in Chesapeake Bay, Va. Had passed away on 05/20, I began my search for a hotel using Tavel Advisor members' reviews. I decided to stay at the Hyatt Place. I called the toll free reservations phone number to make arrangements for my stay. The person who took my reservations was polite and helpful. I arrived at the Norfolk International Airport the night before my Uncle's funeral. When I arrived at the hotel, parking was not an issue. I was greeted at the front desk by two young ladies who smiling, very friendly and helped answer some of my questions about the local area. I was given a room on the fourth floor. The waiting time for the elevator was very short. Saturday night I had to wait a little longer, maybe a minute or two. My room was adequate for the purpose of my trip. I was pleasantly suprised when I entered the room. The room was clean and comfortable. The flat screen television was was huge. There was an ironing board and iron, extra pillow, and hair dryer. The room had a small refrigerator across from a desk. There was a cable connection for Internet access. The hotel also had WiFi. I read in some of the reviews about this hotel that the airconditioning was inadequate. The airconditioning unit in my room was awesome. The AC thermostat had a sensor that would detect someone in the room. There were no issues with the AC during my stay. My bed and pillows were comfortable but not spectacular. I have stayed at hotels that had beds that were incredible. Other than that, the beds were omfortable. The layout of the closet was strange. It was a little bit of a hassle to get things from my suitcase when left in the closet. Parking the first night was no problem. On Saturday the parking spaces around the hotel were full. There is a larger parking lot nearby. It is right next to the hotel. I was lucky to find a space within the hotel's parking spaces. Google the hotel's address and you can see the layout. Shopping Malls, Grocery store, restaurants, movie theatres were located nearby the hotel. Bottom line I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank a5150cafryrmn
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear 5150cafryrmn,

Thank-you for taking the time to describe your experience on TripAdvisor. Our deepest sympathies go out to you and your family at this difficult time. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we may be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This seems to be a fairly new property that is well kept and good for business travel. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The free breakfast is average. Bonus points for free internet! My only complaint would be that showers are designed to look modern but they are not very comfortable. There is no curtain nor is there a shower door, only a partial glass door. It makes the shower drafty and gets the floor slightly wet. It's just a bizarre design.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Place for two nights over the Memorial Day weekend. It seemed that the hotel was pretty full with lots of families and family groups staying. The rooms are modern appearing, and our King room had plenty of room with a couch, desk and chair, and a fridge. The room also had a very large flat screen TV, which was enjoyable for watching movies. Access to the closet was through a small opening, which was a little bit inconvenient. We didn't use the swimming pool, but it seemed nice; however, there is not a Jacuzzi, which would have been nice to have. The complimentary breakfast was your standard complimentary hotel breakfast consisting of fruit, cereals, eggs, sausage, pancakes, juice, etc., nothing exceptional. We could hear everything going on in the rooms above and next to us as well as the constant closing of room doors; however, surprisingly this didn't affect our ability to sleep, but it was noticed as to how noisy it was during the morning and evening hours. The bathroom has a shower only, no tub, and while this was fine for us as we weren't travelling with any children, the shower head must have been one of those low flow deals and by the time the water reached your head it was more like a fine mist and very difficult for rinsing out shampoo. Overall, it was a good stay. It is close to many restaurants and shopping but not sure if that is where we would choose to stay if we visited the area again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stella306
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Stella306,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but we would also like to apologize for the noise that you experienced during your visit. We were sold out all weekend primarily with families and I am sure that most kids were probably very excited to be away on vacation. I am very sorry that the noise they created was noticeable. Also each room that has a king sized bed at our property has a shower only. All the rooms that have 2 queen sized beds do have a tub and shower. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again on your next visit to Chesapeake.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great hotel concept - very clean. Staff was very accommodating and professional. The only complaint I have is there was absolutely NO water pressure and there aren't full doors on the shower - which would be ok if the water got hot, but it never did. My co worker who also stayed here said she had the same issue in her room. Located in a safe area with lots close by.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank mjsGardner
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Upon entering the lobby, it is small but modern and bright. The people behind the front desk were friendly and very helpful. The room is spacious with a partition that separates the bed from the other side of the room, where there is a corner sofa (with a sofabed), a small sink with a refrigerator and a coffee maker. There is also a small desk to do work and there is free wifi. The only negative is a small closet, although it did have an iron and a full size board. There is free breakfast, and although is not a “full” hot breakfast buffet, but there are hot morning sandwiches and waffles, in addition to cereal, oatmeal, fruits, danish and bread. There is a small exercise room and a decent sized pool, all new and modern. But it is the helpfu staff that really makes this hotel a pleasure to stay. I have a bad back and the mattress on the bed was too soft for me. I asked for a different bed in another room. They gave me keys to 6 rooms to look at but all of the beds were too soft for me. The lady at the front desk then brought me up to the 2nd floor and with the head housekeeper, let me try other beds in available rooms. I settled on the firmest bed that I tried and I was really impressed with the way the workers really tried to help me. Since the bed was still on the soft side, the manager said that they'll do something the next day and they put a board under the mattress. I would stay at this hotel the next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Be careful not to get a room that faces the opposite wall and make sure that it has a full partition...